Changing Reg Plate to New Car

Looking for a bit of advice here. I'm changing my car in September and I want to transfer the plate I have on my current car to the new one straight away. I've been told to put the current plate on retention and then give the retention cert to the dealer so that they can register the new car. What I can't get my head around is 1) since my old car was registered straight away with my reg I don't have an old reg number to go back to whilst the plate is on retention how can I drive about with the old number and 2) How can I insure two cars with the same plate at the same time (until swap over) ? I know about cherished transfer but that seems to be a bit long winded and I'd rather have the new car with the retained plate right away. Any ideas ?

I've gone through this process with the last 4 cars I've had where my cherished plate has transferred. Each time the dealer made the arrangements for me, I just needed to sign a couple of documents but admittedly I was not too fussed about getting my new car(s)(with cherished plate immediately) on a particular date and had to wait till the dealer received the road tax for new car (about a week's wait each time). Your old car will be allocated another reg. equivalent for the year of make.

I would speak to your dealer for best advice in your circumstances.

Anyone have a private reg but when they have had their tax disc renewal through have been sent papers with the old reg on it before? Away to phone tomorrow but no sure what to do surely it could take a while to send out the new papers or will this be on record at the PO when I go down or? Confused.

Archived