FAO Raith Rovers fans

I'll be speaking about the new 21st anniversary edition of Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil at Waterstones, 175 High Street, Kirkcaldy on Tuesday July 22 at 7pm. It would be good to chat with Rovers fans about next season and all that. The new edition is completely updated, right up to the drama of Cowden defeating the Pars on the final day. Forewords to the new edition are by Sir Alex Ferguson, Craig Brown, Jim Leishman and poet-theologian Kathy Galloway (who doesn't like football). I'll sign books afterwords, The event is ticketed, but free of charge (icluding beer and pie). Tickets from the shop.

post-882-0-00082200-1405582729_thumb.jpg

I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I've never yet gotten around to reading this. I shall endeavour to make it if I can, and promise to buy a copy if I do.

I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I've never yet gotten around to reading this. I shall endeavour to make it if I can, and promise to buy a copy if I do.

Hope to meet you, Yoss. I think it'll be a fun occasion - free beer and pie, a few readings, a conversation and Q&A. The event is ticketed (free) because of limited accommodation, so people who want to come should get in early for a ticket.

I'm on BBC Radio Scotland tomorrow 7am-8am, interviewed for an hour by Richard Holloway. It'll be on BBC iPlayer from about two hours after the programme.

That's ridiculous o'clock for me, even for iPlayer on Sunday, I am however interested in your tome.

You never said you were on 'Off The Ball' today.

Maybe this is too much information now ZA

Here's an interview I did on Sunday morning BBC with Richard Holloway about football, mining, Cowdenbeath, faith and why I moved from journalism to ministry. It takes up the first 40 minutes of the whole programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b049fctk

Really enjoyed last night at Waterstones in Kirkcaldy. Great bookshop with a very enthusiastic staff - Fi, Scott and James. Caught up with some Fife folk I hadn't seen for years. Good to have Blue Oktober in the audience, and to meet Yoss for the first time, having enjoyed his posts on P & B over the years.

The new edition of Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil has had a good launch with Off the Ball on Saturday, Richard Holloway's programme on Sunday, and the Waterstones gig. I've just been signing copies in Waterstones in Inverness, en route for Orkney. Sky Sports have also expressed an interest.

It was interesting that (based on a very limited sample of those I spoke to and those who spoke out) there seemed to be more people who were interested in it from a literary perspective rather than from a football perspective, and not a great deal of obvious crossover between the two. For example, the woman who congratulated you for being the first person to make football seem interesting - I certainly wouldn't ever criticise her for that, because if she's not a football watcher there's no reason why she should seek out football literature any more than I seek out literature on, let's say, motor racing. Nonetheless it seems a bit of a pity to me that - post-Nick Hornby, and with so much great football writing out there - there seems to be a certain level of disconnect between the two.

I'm probably reading way too much into such a small sample size.

I know what you mean, Yoss. The audience was very diverse, with people coming at the book from different perspectives - eg football, politics, literature, autobiography, and coal mining. That, though, is the nature of the book itself, which has a variety of themes running through it. What amazed (and pleased) me was that so many people turned up on what was a glorious summer's evening. The book which is much more than a re-issue of the old 1993 text, seems to be selling well. I signed copies at Waterstones in Inverness, on the way back to Orkney.

post-882-0-04682400-1406239155_thumb.jpg

hi ron,missed the book sighning last week,got my ticket on the Monday but work commitments beat me,however I was working in st Andrews today,so nipped into watersons to get your book,it was busy with yanks and other tourists, but no signs of your book,had to ask the chap for it,it was in the stock room,i think you should phone them and ask to get it displayed in the Scottish section or new release. cheers

hi ron,missed the book sighning last week,got my ticket on the Monday but work commitments beat me,however I was working in st Andrews today,so nipped into watersons to get your book,it was busy with yanks and other tourists, but no signs of your book,had to ask the chap for it,it was in the stock room,i think you should phone them and ask to get it displayed in the Scottish section or new release. cheers

I was in st Andrews waterstones on sunday and asked for the book. There was about 6 copies on a table 2 thirds the way towards back of shop with other sport related books at the main sports section.

Archived