Worst Signings in Scottish Football History

I know this is hardly a new discussion point on this forum but I think it's always an interesting list to compile.

I was having a read through some previous entrants into this unwanted list. Always interested to see what people think.

I would ideally like to see a reason, description or even video proof of why you feel this player deserves to be considered as one of the worst players/signings in Scottish football history.

Going to start with an obvious one. Rafael Scheidt. After being signed for 5m by clueless former Celtic coach John Barnes, he enjoyed a glittering career at Celtic consisting of 3 first team appearances over the course of 3 years. I was luckily able to witness his skills on the final of these appearances in a game against world beaters Jeuness D'eche of Luxembourg. This was my first ever Celtic game, finishing 7-0. More notable as Martin O'Neill's first European match at home, and Mark Burchill's record breaking hatrick in 3 minutes.

The move is now considered to a result of fraud after he was capped a few times for the Brazilian national team to encourage gullable European sides to pay big money for below par players. It worked well this time.

Anyone have any memories of Rafael?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thoought Boerrigter was okay when he came on against KR. However, that may have been down to playing against low quality opposition. He has a decent cross, but he has unfortunately only lived up to his "Sick Note" nickname from the Netherlands.

Evander Sno was probably my least favourite Celtic player in recent years. He would come on as a sub and completely ruin the entire shape of the team. Often Celtic would just fall apart. He was slow, one footed, and completely unreliable.

Izzy Iriekpen, Marvin Andrews, Luis Rubiales, JP Kissock. All made their debut in first game of the season at Rugby Park when we made Kevin Kyle look like Cristiano Ronaldo. Thankfully 3 of them fvcked off within a couple of weeks.

Craig Levein deserves a mention definitely. By christ! he was a bad appointment.

4-6-0, 2-1 win of Leichtenstein, banishing various players from the squad etc, a general pessimism about the quality of our players.

In comes Strachan... 6 games unbeaten!

Motherwell's worst signing is Stevie Kirk (all time top league scorer since league re-organisation in the 70's) + Paul McGrillen (top scorer that season at time of transfer) + six figure sum for.......Eddie May.

Eddie May, an attacking midfield player, who is then played at right back and was rank.

All thanks to Alex McLeish for that tremendous bit of business.

It came from a St Mirren fan (albeit one of the more decent ones) so we won't take much credence.

Magennis might do a job for Killie. He didn't do one for us, that's all I know.

He was shit, and the day after he took part in our 3-2 collapse at Tannadice when we were 2-0 up with 11 minutes to go, I watched him leaping around on Aberdeen's League Cup winning podium in an Aberdeen club suit, acting like he'd scored the fcuking winning goal himself.

Fair enough, he was on loan to us, but he shouldn't have been grinning like a Cheshire cat in a Dons club suit on the actual podium of a final he was no-where near. He could easily have cheered on his Aberdeen colleagues from the stand, especially when we gave him first team football, and he had shat his pants in a Saints shirt at Tannadice the day before.

Shite at St Mirren so he was. A waste of space.

Three year deal at Killie though.... Snigger.

Archived