Why Are Many Drivers So Anti-Cyclist In This Country?

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They cause inconvenience on the road, and far more often than not are very dangerous (undertaking, red lights, swaying, distance from the centre of the road, lighting & helmets etc etc). I'm sure they're smashing people the majority of them, but pretty much 100% of the time are an inconvenience.

So that's it then

"They're an inconvenience"

You mean like tractors, wide loads,traffic lights pedestrian crossings,learner a drivers .

Maybe you should have " special" shower blocks built for all of them

If a cyclist is approaching a set of lights on red I reckon there is a 20% chance they are going through if drivers did the same there would be carnage.

If these cyclists you see keep dong this there could still be carnage !!

I'm

Not disagreeing with you, it's actions like this which give cyclists a bad name

What I can't understand is why doesn't the same apply to drivers?

I'm sure you also see many examples of bad driving , so why ( as done have mentioned) aren't all

drivers tarred with the same brush

Let me help you out ... Is it because those making these comments are fellow drivers and it cyclists?

Eta I see lots of examples of bad driving when out cycling but I don't class all drivers as p***ks !

If these cyclists you see keep dong this there could still be carnage !!

I'm

Not disagreeing with you, it's actions like this which give cyclists a bad name

What I can't understand is why doesn't the same apply to drivers?

I'm sure you also see many examples of bad driving , so why ( as done have mentioned) aren't all

drivers tarred with the same brush

Let me help you out ... Is it because those making these comments are fellow drivers and it cyclists?

Eta I see lots of examples of bad driving when out cycling but I don't class all drivers as p***ks !

I would say that cyclist's are worse than drivers at obeying the rules of the road. You'll say this is because I'm a driver though.

Perhaps you re more aware of cyclists and notice them more?

I think theres consideration needed from both sides. As a cyclist i try to wave traffic by me to help and stick to the rules of the road. however, i'll also try to assert myself on roundabouts or parts of the road where its not safe to pass me. If theres a bike path i try to use it.

As a.driver i try to be patient and tolerant of cyclists and other road users.

i dont appreciate aggressive or thoughtless driving or cycling.

Of course, theres w***@@s everywhere, 2 wheels and 4.

Coming around a corner at 40-50 where the legal limit is 60 and facing 10 yards ahead a bunch of cyclists and a lorry on the other side is fearsome, it's not remotely discriminatory.

Irrespective of the speed limit, you're driving too fast if you come around a corner and can't stop for an obstruction. If it was a broken down car and you hit it, you'd automatically be done for driving without due care and attention.

I would say that cyclist's are worse than drivers at obeying the rules of the road. You'll say this is because I'm a driver though.

Drivers are absolute bawbags. Hunners of them.

Cyclists are generally partaking in a very worthwhile pursuit (health benefits, road congestions, environmental benefits). Some can be fannies but there is no way they are worse than drivers. Not even close.

You often see cyclists go through traffic lights at crossroads junctions. Bloody idiots.

This is what annoys me most about cyclists. Where I work there is a 'T' junction with lights. Walking from the bus stop I approach the lights from the bottom of the 'T'. One morning the lights were red and were signalling green for people to cross as I approached, so I kept walking. I took one step on the road and some idiot on a bike flew right across in front of me from my right hand side. Why do cyclists think this is fine? A second later and he would've either hit me or slammed on the brakes and moaned that I should've looked where I was going.

If you wanna use the road, obey the rules of the road.

Drivers are absolute bawbags. Hunners of them.

Cyclists are generally partaking in a very worthwhile pursuit (health benefits, road congestions, environmental benefits). Some can be fannies but there is no way they are worse than drivers. Not even close.

So long as your saving the environment you can ignore the highway code, very good.

I cycle regularly, and I like to think I'm pretty well behaved as cyclists go. I don't think I've ever knowingly jumped a set of lights. I don't cycle in the middle of the road, and if I'm aware that I've been holding up traffic for a while I will try to let people past if possible.

I don't think drivers who have never cycled on the road realise how things that might seem like nothing to them can be massively dangerous for cyclists. When you're on a bike someone suddenly shooting past you at 40mph leaving you about 6 inches of room can easily cause you to lose control and crash. The same goes for morons who try to overtake at traffic islands and the like. After a while you learn that there are times when you have to ride defensively and block the road to prevent idiots from overtaking in dangerous places.

There also seem to be huge numbers of drivers who don't understand that the rules at roundabouts are constant whether you're in a car or on a bike. I've twice been hit by people who completely ignored the 'give way to the right' thing, and the second time I was quite lucky not to be killed (the guy hit me so hard that I went up his bonnet, onto the roof and then fell off and landed on my head, while my bike was snapped in half. He drove off as soon as he was sure that I wasn't actually dead). Yes cyclists can be c*nts, but drivers are also often staggeringly dangerous c*nts.

As for people complaining that we don't use cycle paths provided, that's often down to the lack of thought that goes into such infrastructure. On my commute into East London I use cycle superhighway 3, which is well designed, fast, smooth, and for the most part seperated from both traffic and pedestrians. It's brilliant and much nicer than cycling in the road. When I used to cycle to work in Aberdeen, there was also a cycle path on my route between Bucksburn and the Haudagain. It consisted of a line painted on the pavement, was bumpy, went right through busy bus-stops which were generally rammed with people at 5pm, and half-way down had a huge hole in the middle of it (not a pot-hole, a hole in some utility cover about a foot across. Incredibly dangerous in poor light). The path stopped just short of the roundabout, and provided no obvious way to get across if you wanted to go straight on instead of up Anderson Drive. Am I f*ck using that.

Why can't cyclists cycle on the pavement when possible? Why is it so hard to cycle in a straight line? Is there a good reason why they need to snake across the road? Why do cyclists cycle in the middle of the road? Cyclists are a danger to everyone, including most of all themselves.

I make a point of spraying my screen wash the moment I pass a cyclist. Thats all I've got to say on the matter

Archived