Why Are Many Drivers So Anti-Cyclist In This Country?

Most people remember the fannies who do such shite, but the reality is that the majority of cyclists are fine.

Totally agree and ax a driver also , they piss me off

However it seems the case with many people that if some cyclists do this ,then all others get tarred with the same brush , but the same doesn't seem to apply with bad motorists.

Both fair points.

I do think that, as with bad motorists, it'll depend on the areas you drive in as well. When I go home through Govan, I often see cyclists riding topless - and so needless to say they also ride without a helmet. These are male by the way before I cause congestion in the Govan area!

But then Govan is also were I see bad driving and bad pedestrianism most regularly. I'm sure in all your day-to-day lives there are areas were such behaviour is more common.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People get angry with them in the same way that they get angry with other drivers - namely that some of them are utter tossers who just do as they damn well please to the detriment of everyone else.

It's different irritating behaviour with cyclists, though - namely going straight through red lights. Of course, no-one is going to be banned from cycling for a totting up of offences, which probably also annoys people who witness that sort of behaviour.

As a pedestrian, I'm fed up with cyclists here cycling on the pavement when they're allowed to use the bus lane. It's bad enough when they should be on the road anyway, but to still be on the pavement when there's a lane granting you preferential usage isn't on.

Cyclists are identified as an 'outgroup' by many drivers.

Discrimination between ingroups and outgroups is a matter of favoritism towards an ingroup and the absence of equivalent favoritism towards an outgroup.[6] Outgroup derogation is the phenomena in which an outgroup is perceived as being threatening to the members of an ingroup.[7] This phenomenon often accompanies ingroup favoritism, as it requires one to have an affinity towards their ingroup. Some research suggests that outgroup derogation occurs when an outgroup is perceived as blocking or hindering the goals of an ingroup. It has also been argued that outgroup derogation is a natural consequence of the categorization process
Categorization of people into social groups increases the perception that group members are similar to one another. An outcome of this is the outgroup homogeneity effect. This refers to the perception of members of an outgroup as being homogenous, while members of one's ingroup are perceived as being diverse, e.g. "they are alike; we are diverse,”.[9][10] This is especially likely to occur in regards to negative characteristics. Under certain conditions, ingroup members can be perceived as being similar to one another in regards to positive characteristics. This effect is called ingroup homogeneity.[11]

One of the effects of this is for people to notice members of an outgroups violation of social norms\rules and apply it to the group as a whole, the classic "red light jumping", while ingroups, such as drivers, are nearly ignored when they break rules (road laws in this case) but remain within socially expected norms for that law. So for example a driver running a red light as it changes is accepted or a car going a bit over the speed limit.

"They wear lycra we wear normal cloths"

"They are dangerous and break the law, we are safe and occasionally bend the rules"

"They do not pay tax, we pay for all the roads by ourselves"

"They are all a bit weird, driving is normal" etc etc etc.

I'm not on about 'Amber Gambler' cyclists here, I'm on about cyclists who go straight through lights that have been red for several seconds. I'm not saying drivers don't do this but it's incredibly rare and from my experience much more prevelant amongst cyclists.

Cyclists are absolute fucking dickheads. They're not so common where I live, although this morning I passed 4 in the space of 1.8 miles (my house to the football stadium). 1 of them was fine (as far as cyclists go), 2 of them were too far off the kerb, with one practically being in the centre of the road, and the final one wasn't even wearing a helmet and was riding at around 3MPH - he was also far too close to the centre of the road, and spraying about like a drunken streak of piss. There's a cycle lane in my neighbouring town centre, and because of this I nearly failed my driving test - there's never any c***s in the b*****d thing - just a complete waste of road space, and the cost of paint is a complete waste of tax payers money.

Cyclists should be made to use the pavement, and politely ring their little bell if pedestrians are in the way.

So why because of these examples you give do you class all cyclists as dickheads?

If you saw a few drivers doing stupid things would you then class all drivers including yourself as dickheads?

There are many, many others who don't do these and other abysmal behaviours on the road.

Essentially, many of them show a disregard for their own safety in the belief that the onus is on the motorists.

Have to agree with that.

And I have never (in recent years with cycling becoming more popular) seen a group of cyclists cycle in twos, they just hog the road in a big bunch, 2,3, 4 abreast.

2 abreast? I'm afraid the Highway Code says "NO". See Rule 66.

Typical f*cking cyclist- doesn't know the laws of the road!

Tam the Bam, proud owner of a Lothian and Borders Police Cycling Proficiency Certificate, 1984 :P

I can beat that by at least 20 years! :lol:

So why because of these examples you give do you class all cyclists as dickheads?

If you saw a few drivers doing stupid things would you then class all drivers including yourself as dickheads?

They cause inconvenience on the road, and far more often than not are very dangerous (undertaking, red lights, swaying, distance from the centre of the road, lighting & helmets etc etc). I'm sure they're smashing people the majority of them, but pretty much 100% of the time are an inconvenience.

Cyclists are ok if they realise its a push bike they're on, rather than a lorry. No need for them to be so far away from the kerb. (Drain width maximum)

I don't care if they skip lights or anything else, just keep out the way and we're sound.

Examples of bad cyclists coming through here and as a result drivers classing all cyclists as dickheads etc,etcSo my question is,why aren't all drivers classed as dickheads as a result of some bad drives antics?

Seriously for a minute. On my way to work most mornings I see the same cyclists more or less. A couple of them regularly jump the same set of lights at a fairly dangerous junction. I don't see drivers doing the same

Cyclists are identified as an 'outgroup' by many drivers.

One of the effects of this is for people to notice members of an outgroups violation of social norms\rules and apply it to the group as a whole, the classic "red light jumping", while ingroups, such as drivers, are nearly ignored when they break rules (road laws in this case) but remain within socially expected norms for that law. So for example a driver running a red light as it changes is accepted or a car going a bit over the speed limit.

"They wear lycra we wear normal cloths"

"They are dangerous and break the law, we are safe and occasionally bend the rules"

"They do not pay tax, we pay for all the roads by ourselves"

"They are all a bit weird, driving is normal" etc etc etc.

Coming around a corner at 40-50 where the legal limit is 60 and facing 10 yards ahead a bunch of cyclists and a lorry on the other side is fearsome, it's not remotely discriminatory.

I feel that cyclist's should be registered if they are on the road and there should be some way of identifying them

Like with a target on their back?

Seriously for a minute. On my way to work most mornings I see the same cyclists more or less. A couple of them regularly jump the same set of lights at a fairly dangerous junction. I don't see drivers doing the same

They're obviously twats then

Archived