Petrol Money

How much does she think it costs in petrol to get to Manchester and back?

Does she drive?

Non deiver and a bona fide tight arse. She seems to be of the assumption that, since we are family I should do them a "favour", completely ignoring the fact it would take up pretty much a whole day off my weekend and would also leave me out of pocket.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Non deiver and a bona fide tight arse. She seems to be of the assumption that, since we are family I should do them a "favour", completely ignoring the fact it would take up pretty much a whole day off my weekend and would also leave me out of pocket.

Isn't your brother a little embarrassed to allow this type of behaviour?

Remember getting a lift to Wallmart in the States, where as usual there was no public transport, and the nearest taxi was 30 miles away. Said I'd fill up his tank thinking how cheap petrol is over there, turned out he had a monster just short of a Humvee, with a massive tank. Cost me a fucking fortune.

Isn't your brother a little embarrassed to allow this type of behaviour?

TBF when I asked him about it he said ignore her and that he is sorting out train tickets for them as it would be cheaper than anything I'd be looking for.

Still. I would never ask for a lift from someone and not offer ar least the price of the petrol, even family.

I think people summed up the situation well by describing people who don't even see it as a favour.

Usually these worms ask you for one lift then before you know it it's every day or if you car share there's always any excuse.

Oh eh, my wife needs the car today. Aye ok then muggins loses out, nae bother pal.

I'll take it three times next week, next weds opens your car door and sits down without a care in the world.

Put up with this for a month then said it was over.

Don't car share unless it's a good friend.

Has anyone ever been offered a lift off someone and been so disgusted by the state of their car you never again set foot in it?

Was in this position once and glad it was a very short journey.

Why people wouldn't realise their car is like a skip and that i would actually prefer to walk than sit in it, I will never know.

Was asked as a favour by my sister in law to drive her and my brother to Manchester airport on Saturday and she'd give me £20. They can f**k right off.

You could get a Domino's for that.

I used to give a couple of guys a lift to and from work that took me very little out of my way to pick them up and drop off with neither me asking or them offering any reimbursement, that was fine till the car broke down and they trooped off to get a bus home without as much as a cheerio, so £120 down on repairs I didn`t bother to pick them up next day and it cost them around a fiver each to get there, when I told them to f**k off when they asked for a lift home that night they soon came to a deal whereby they chipped in £40 each for the repairs and offered £20 a week each in petrol to cover any cost of petrol or wear and tear in the future.

I`d done all this with the best intentions of my supposed work mates, but in reality it costs a few bob to run a car etc so I wouldn`t do it again without sorting something out prior.

Is charging someone petrol money a sound thing to do? I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on the matter, but I don't really see why the driver should provide free travel to someone even though they would be going that way anyway.

I currently drive someone 30 miles each way (45 mins) per working day. What would be reasonable to ask for (£30 has been forthcoming so far over a 5 week period, and it's cost me over £80 a week)? It's pretty awkward as well, asking someone for cash constantly. Or is it being stingy?

It cost you, petrol, tax, insurance, maybe a car loan as well as depreciation in value to your car, what does it cost him? You both go to and from the same place of work........ who is out of pocket more?

Also, if you crash he is likely to claim of you, putting your premiums up.........

Tell him you put this question to the forum, and Bastion thinks £40 a week is fair.

£40 is a fair ask.

Sounds like your passenger is tighter than two coats of paint.

Any reasonable and considerate person would offer to half-in, without the need to be asked.

£30 for your commute over that period, from them is derisory

Do you have a holiday coming up? Or even a couple of days off? Might be helpful to introduce the idea in an in-direct way. However with this individual direct may be the only way, by the sounds of it.

I'd like to meet this guy just so I can ask what the f**k is wrong with you?

The question applies on so many levels

He was just a tit. I could use him in an example in the dodging rounds thread. once on a work night out it turned out he hadn't put in the kitty with everyone else at the beginning! Didn't come to light till much later.

On that note (and a little off topic) has anyone ever had someone ask for their kitty money back because they have decided they are going somewhere else? Personally I think if you are leaving the group it's tough shit!

Update: no further cash been forthcoming after asking continually, filling up in front of him etc. Seriously thinking of not bothering next week forth. Hard to take coming from a wealthy private school guy, talking about how much he spends on nights out. Sickener.

If I was driving to work and picked someone up on the way, I wouldn't ask for money as I'd be going that way anyway. On the other hand, if I was getting the lift, I'd offer to cover at least half the petrol for the week.

Tell him to pay up or simply don't pick him up.

Time to grow a set...

Agreed. It's difficult when there's a new group of 'work friends' just formed. But aye, deadline is Friday.

MONKMAN: yeah, I probably wouldn't, but given I'm a still a student, I don't really see why I should be taking such a burden whilst someone else goes for almost free.

MONKMAN: yeah, I probably wouldn't, but given I'm a still a student, I don't really see why I should be taking such a burden whilst someone else goes for almost free.

I see that, it's just what I'd do personally. That said if I was giving someone a lift and they didn't offer to chip on for petrol, I'd quickly come to the assumption that they were nothing more than a leech.

He was just a tit. I could use him in an example in the dodging rounds thread. once on a work night out it turned out he hadn't put in the kitty with everyone else at the beginning! Didn't come to light till much later.

On that note (and a little off topic) has anyone ever had someone ask for their kitty money back because they have decided they are going somewhere else? Personally I think if you are leaving the group it's tough shit!

I've had plenty asking for the change back from a score that someone else paid me as the fare, my response was usually get yersel tae fcuk.

Is charging someone petrol money a sound thing to do? I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on the matter, but I don't really see why the driver should provide free travel to someone even though they would be going that way anyway.

I currently drive someone 30 miles each way (45 mins) per working day. What would be reasonable to ask for (£30 has been forthcoming so far over a 5 week period, and it's cost me over £80 a week)? It's pretty awkward as well, asking someone for cash constantly. Or is it being stingy?

If I was your passenger I would have been offering/ asking you how much money you wanted.

Edited to add

I had this problem with a guy at my old work. Gave him a lift one day as his car was broken down and basically got stuck with him.

He never offered a bean until someone else at the work gave him a ribbing for it and I got some payment. I was always waiting for him in the morning and was a bit of a dick all round so I eventually bumped him and he had to use his own car.

I know a guy who was waiting on £300 fae his brother.

After a year of moaning at him for his loan back his brother came round 1 night and gave him £290.

When asked where the last tenner was his brother said "that covers my petrol bringing it to you"

They live less than 3 miles apart and what a cunty thing to do after your brother dug you out a hole.

At the end of the day, the c***s would pay ScotRail, First or Stagecoach to get from A to B.

Not willingly of course as shown by the Free Trains thread. Any opportunity to save money and several (especially on here evidently) will grab it.

Archived