Petrol Money

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more important question for me is what car you have, rough calculations make me think you're only getting about 22 miles per gallon. I admit my maths might be out though

Yes, my journey is much longer - 1 hour and 20 each way. Pick him up halfway. Means I have to go through dundee rather than round which is a pain.

Thanks for the responses awbody. Questions will be asked.

Edit: before anyone says, I'm not asking him to go halfers, obviously that'd be really unfair. But just something to help out every week would be nice. :)

The only thing worse than a person who intentionally takes advantage of another's good nature, is someone who takes advantage of another's good nature without even realising they're doing it. People develop this ingrained selfishness because they've gone through life without anyone ever calling them on it.

As suggested earlier, if convenient I would include a fuel stop on your journey one day and see if this flicks a switch in his brain. If not, get him telt.

Yes, my journey is much longer - 1 hour and 20 each way. Pick him up halfway. Means I have to go through dundee rather than round which is a pain.

Edit: before anyone says, I'm not asking him to go halfers, obviously that'd be really unfair. But just something to help out every week would be nice. :)

You're saving £6 a week, they are saving whatever public transport a week costs less £6, perhaps they'll subsidise your travelling costs when your car is off the road.

The only thing worse than a person who intentionally takes advantage of another's good nature, is someone who takes advantage of another's good nature without even realising they're doing it. People develop this ingrained selfishness because they've gone through life without anyone ever calling them on it.

As suggested earlier, if convenient I would include a fuel stop on your journey one day and see if this flicks a switch in his brain. If not, get him telt.

You just need to read this thread to see it in action.

I used to charge my brother petrol money when we lived and worked together. Didn't until winter 2 years ago when I realised I was up before him to defrost the car everyday yet the little shit was still making me leave late because he couldn't get out his bed. Got so bad I just left without him one day.

Also used to work with a guy who asked for a lift home once and this quickly became a daily thing. After several weeks I mentioned him chipping in for petrol and suddenly that was the end of him asking. Turns out he had been through everyone in the building with this routine. I didn't care as the hassle of going out my way to get him each day coupled with his questionable personal hygiene was not worth £10-20 a week!

ETA - it got to the stage this guy was refused a lift by everyone resulting in him walking 12 miles on New Year's Day to get to work as there was no public transport.

I used to charge my brother petrol money when we lived and worked together. Didn't until winter 2 years ago when I realised I was up before him to defrost the car everyday yet the little shit was still making me leave late because he couldn't get out his bed. Got so bad I just left without him one day.

Also used to work with a guy who asked for a lift home once and this quickly became a daily thing. After several weeks I mentioned him chipping in for petrol and suddenly that was the end of him asking. Turns out he had been through everyone in the building with this routine. I didn't care as the hassle of going out my way to get him each day coupled with his questionable personal hygiene was not worth £10-20 a week!

ETA - it got to the stage this guy was refused a lift by everyone resulting in him walking 12 miles on New Year's Day to get to work as there was no public transport.

I'd like to meet this guy just so I can ask what the f**k is wrong with you?

The question applies on so many levels

if you work out how many miles a day that guy gets taxied to work and back.charge him 40p a mile.

and iirc you yourself can get an expenses form from HMRC(paye inc) to claim mileage at 40p a mile.

need to check first though.I get nearly all diesel money back when doing tax return.

I pay a tenner petrol money a week to get to work. It's a fair request I'd say. I got asked at the start, which was a bit harsh as I'd came into the job from being utter skint, so never had the chance to just hand it over at the end of the week.

Same, apart from the skint bit (I'm thisGRAEME and I can afford it).

Its so much easier to sort this out from the off like, lassie at my work offered to drive me, I asked how much, she said a tenner. Has been additionally useful as I was pretty new at the time, so knowing someone else has been a bonus like.

I used to get a lift back on a Thursday from a guy going that way anyway, never was any money exchange. I drive now and will give folk a lift home if it's on my way, don't ask for cash or expect any either.

Was asked as a favour by my sister in law to drive her and my brother to Manchester airport on Saturday and she'd give me £20. They can f**k right off.

How much does she think it costs in petrol to get to Manchester and back?

Does she drive?

Archived