Petrol Money

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is charging someone petrol money a sound thing to do? I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on the matter, but I don't really see why the driver should provide free travel to someone even though they would be going that way anyway.

I currently drive someone 30 miles each way (45 mins) per working day. What would be reasonable to ask for (£30 has been forthcoming so far over a 5 week period, and it's cost me over £80 a week)? It's pretty awkward as well, asking someone for cash constantly. Or is it being stingy?

It's not being stingy, tell them the score if they don't want to pay, find alternative transport.

Years ago my car was off the road and asked a fellow workmate for a lift to work for a month, without him asking I would give him 20 notes every Friday (he only drove about 5 miles to work), did not get the lift back after work...to my surprise he he had been running someone else for the last 3 years without getting a penny. When I produced the money on the Friday morning (pay day) in the car, and thanked him for his kindness. the guy was in shock & obviously pleased, within 2 weeks the other guy was walking to work (p***k)

They should definitely pay but if you don't ask from the start then it gets awkward.

Had this once, made things uncomfortable as they would occasionally offer money then not pay for ages.

Like others have said try getting into work on public transport for the same cash - door to door.

Nothing awkward about it, get some balls. Best thing to do is go to the petrol station and ask them to chip in...if they don't tell them to walk.

If you're not going out of your way, I see no need to pay petrol money. You're doing him a favour and he should be grateful but to expect regular payment is outrageous, IMO.

I used to give a colleague a lift home every night without even a thought of petrol money.

The thing is that one person is doing all the work and paying everything whilst the other person is sitting back and saving money through those daily favours.

I used to 'car share' with a girl (well... she drives, I don't) to and from work every day and we went halfers on the fuel as a result. Anything else would have been taking advantage of her IMO. However, our work gave us vouchers through a 'green car sharing' scheme and she got really ratty when I didn't hand them over to her because she demanded them as the one doing all the driving. In the end I said f*** it, got the bus instead and she ended up paying double the fuel and no longer getting any vouchers. She was a right pain to listen to every morning anyway.

I pay a tenner petrol money a week to get to work. It's a fair request I'd say. I got asked at the start, which was a bit harsh as I'd came into the job from being utter skint, so never had the chance to just hand it over at the end of the week.

The thing is that one person is doing all the work and paying everything whilst the other person is sitting back and saving money through those daily favours.

I used to 'car share' with a girl (well... she drives, I don't) to and from work every day and we went halfers on the fuel as a result. Anything else would have been taking advantage of her IMO. However, our work gave us vouchers through a 'green car sharing' scheme and she got really ratty when I didn't hand them over to her because she demanded them as the one doing all the driving. In the end I said f*** it, got the bus instead and she ended up paying double the fuel and no longer getting any vouchers. She was a right pain to listen to every morning anyway.

You come out well in this story.

That was really mean of you, tbf. Cars cost a lot more to run than just the petrol.

You come out well in this story.

Not sure if that's sarcastic or not. :unsure:

I should have pointed out that we both got given vouchers in different envelopes but she wanted all of mine too (not me stealing them all!). I should have stressed that she didn't strike up a conservation about whether it would be ok, she just absolutely demanded them which I found rather 'off' as I had previously been getting more by getting the bus before hand.

That was really mean of you, tbf. Cars cost a lot more to run than just the petrol.

There were other factors as well. Biggest one was probably demanding that I finished work with a few minutes notice whenever she suddenly wanted to fire home etc.

Reception in 5 mins or you'll need to get the bus.

In the end it cost me about the same getting the bus (her car had a relatively low mpg) and I could come and go as I pleased. It wasn't an act of kindness either as she had no interest in taking me before the voucher scheme came into play. She (middle aged on an excellent wage I should add) basically saw me as nothing but £££s / free B&Q stuff for the the garden.

Had it been somebody else a bit nicer about it then I would probably have struck a deal and gone about it differently.

I should have pointed out that we both got given vouchers in different envelopes but she wanted all of mine too (not me stealing them all!)

There were other factors as well. Biggest one was probably demanding that I finished work with a few minutes notice whenever she suddenly wanted to fire home etc.

In the end it cost me about the same getting the bus (her car had a relatively low mpg) and I could come and go as I pleased. It wasn't an act of kindness either as she had no interest in taking me before the voucher scheme came into play. She (middle aged on an excellent wage I should add) basically saw me as nothing but £££s / free B&Q stuff for the the garden.

Had it been somebody else a bit nicer about it then I would have probably have struck a deal.

younger, better looking and gagging for it

HTH

I should have pointed out that we both got given vouchers in different envelopes but she wanted all of mine too (not me stealing them all!). I should have stressed that she didn't strike up a conservation about whether it would be ok, she just absolutely demanded them which I found rather 'off' as I had previously been getting more by getting the bus before hand.

Had it been somebody else a bit nicer about it then I would probably have struck a deal and gone about it differently.

Well you have saved the day of the opinion I'd previously formed of you.

She sounds a delight.

Ask him for the money. If he refuses get his address on here and the P&B masses will go round and give him a booting

If he lives at 12 Ruel Street then we'll have no problem finding him.

Is charging someone petrol money a sound thing to do? I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on the matter, but I don't really see why the driver should provide free travel to someone even though they would be going that way anyway.

I currently drive someone 30 miles each way (45 mins) per working day. What would be reasonable to ask for (£30 has been forthcoming so far over a 5 week period, and it's cost me over £80 a week)? It's pretty awkward as well, asking someone for cash constantly. Or is it being stingy?

The more important question for me is what car you have, rough calculations make me think you're only getting about 22 miles per gallon. I admit my maths might be out though

The more important question for me is what car you have, rough calculations make me think you're only getting about 22 miles per gallon. I admit my maths might be out though

I was thinking the same, when working I have a round trip of 70 miles, costs about £55.00 of petrol per week, and petrol is dearer over here.

Archived