Orkney Join Mainland Football

HibeeJibee

I occasionally watch Saints when in Oban and their main home for matches, Glencruitten, would be a good pitch (although it seems a bit boggy) to enclose and upgrade if the fancy took them. The shinty pitch which hosts the Keyline Cup in pre-season is way too big.

The town itself and the surrounding area could support a team above Amateur level, if the will was there. In terms of travel, I know the Lochgilphead lads pay in to a fund (to the tune of about £400 a year each) to cover costs, as well as that raised by sponsorship. I'm sure Saints will do something similar.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St. Kilda Wanderers FC the next logical step. Seriously though I'm all in favour of giving these places the opportunity to join senior football, the more the merrier, the cream will rise to the top.

Back on the North Caledonian League theme... I doubt Clachnacuddin are very popular in the isles after the aforementioned scratching to Shetland in the North Caledonian Cup QF a fortnight ago.

Late call-off cost Shetland £2,000. Says the John o'Groat's Journal on the matter:

Clach's Shetland snub could cost

Clachnacuddin are in hot water with the North Caley League beaks after their late default on their scheduled fixtures versus Shetland in Thurso on Saturday. The Inverness side's mid-morning scratching came just as the islanders arrived at Sir George's Park after their marathon overnight ferry trip.

As well as the frustration at being denied a match, Shetland incurred expenses on close on £2,000, while Thurso FC had bought in supplies to feed both teams after the North Caledonian Cup Quarter-Final tie.

Clach are not playing in the NCL but, along with Shetland, had entered their reserve side in all the cup competitions. The previous weekend they fortfeited their SWL Cup tie at home to Sutherland United.

Clach are now waiting to learn what sanction they will face for Saturday's call-off. Shetland, who have agreed to play all their fixtures on the mainland, will face Lewis & Harris in the NC Cup on November 1.

Orkney 4-1 Sutherland Utd on Saturday.

Lewis-&-Harris reached the NC Cup Final, beating Shetland 2-1 at Golspie.

Standings at halfway.

(Incredibly they've gone for a 10-game league season).

Orkney...... P5.. 11pts, +11

Thurso...... P5... 7pts,. +5

Alness...... P5... 7pts,. -8

Golspie..... P3... 5pts,. +3

Halkirk..... P4... 5pts,. 0

Sutherland.. P4... 0pts, -11

Lewis and Harris of course have international experience throughbtaking part in the island games. There was a documentary on alba a year or so ago about the western isles team playing in the island games and doing reasonably well. There has been a well run competitive league on the island since the early 80s so the football should be of a decent enough standard to be competitive. Football is immensley popular on lewis and harris with a huge rangers supporters club.

Not quite sure how shinty never made the leap from the inner to outer hebrides.

I couldnt find the alba documentary but did find this womens game filmed in secret in what i can onky assume to be a siberian labour camp and i dont think you could tell the difference between this and womens international football.

Aland Island Games 2009 - Isle of Man v Western I:

Shinty was traditionally strong in the Western Isles but pretty much died out in the early 20th century, just as football began to really establish itself in the islands. There has been competitive football there for a long time now. Happily shinty is also on the up with Lewis Camanachd now an established league club and having just had their best season yet, finishing 2nd in North Division 3. Uist have a team too although they don't compete in league shinty.

Orkney fought-out a 3-3 draw away to Golspie Sutherland... the best-known and perhaps best-resourced club in the NCFL... on Saturday: this leaves the islanders 4pts clear of Halkirk (who've a game-in-hand); 5pts clear of Thurso (game-in-hand) and Alness; and 6pts clear of Golspie (2 games-in-hand).

For the next 3 weeks clubs play the Ness Cup (2 sections of 3 clubs each).

Thereafter Orkney's remaining league games are:

Sat 6 Dec - Alness v Orkney

(winter break)

Sat 17 Jan - Thurso v Orkney

Sat 31 Jan - Orkney v Halkirk

Sat 14 Feb - Sutherland v Orkney

So still in their own hands with 3 of their challengers up next, including an away derby at Thurso, and finishing v table-proppers Sutherland.

Golspie seem to be the best-rated of the other teams and with the 2 games-in-hand could conceivably also prove their toughest adversary.

Imagine a Scottish Cup trip to Orkney or Shetland. That would be wild. The trip to Wick with Raith Rovers was mental a few years ago.

Here's a question for HibeeJibee. A place I've always reckoned would be big enough for a small football team is Oban. They have a team, Oban Saints I think. Do they ever progress in the Scottish Cup? What league do they play in? An Oban away day would be really good.

I go to Oban every year for the pre season tourney.

Briliant day out and not much work needed on the pitch but the locals do not seem to be interested in football which is a shame as the Saints are not a bad side at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived