Orkney Join Mainland Football

HibeeJibee

According to FitbaNorth, the Orkney FC club - effectively a combination of the best talents in that island, as I understand it - have entered the North Caledonian League for the coming season. This is a sort of quasi-Senior league in the north of the country, though of low membership, and fairly poor standard. Until now it's been best-known as home to romantically-named Golspie Sutherland, who enter the Scottish Cup each season.

I believe this will be the first time a team from the Northern or Western isles has played in any mainland league, and outwith amateur / welfare football, so quite a historic moment. During the last 2 seasons the Orkney team tested the waters by entering some of their cups - with decent success. In 2012-13 they lost 1-0 at Muir of Ord in one cup, then reached the final of another, winning 3-2 at Clachnacuddin and 2-1 at home to Muir before losing 3-2 to Golspie in the showpiece. Last season they doubled the entry to 4 cups: lost 2-3 at home to Halkirk; lost 2-0 away to Clachnacuddin; won 2-0 at home to Alness before losing 3-1 at Golspie; and again reached a Final where they lost out 4-0 to Golspie after winning at Muir (4-3 aet) and crushing Clachnacuddin 4-1 at home.

How far can football in Orkney go? Could we see them ascending from the NCL into the Highland League one day - or maybe even further, to the SPFL? Can the Western Isles or Shetland ever emulate their progress?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to FitbaNorth, the Orkney FC club - effectively a combination of the best talents in that island, as I understand it - have entered the North Caledonian League for the coming season. This is a sort of quasi-Senior league in the north of the country, though of low membership, and fairly poor standard. Until now it's been best-known as home to romantically-named Golspie Sutherland, who enter the Scottish Cup each season.

I believe this will be the first time a team from the Northern or Western isles has played in any mainland league, and outwith amateur / welfare football, so quite a historic moment. During the last 2 seasons the Orkney team tested the waters by entering some of their cups - with decent success. In 2012-13 they lost 1-0 at Muir of Ord in one cup, then reached the final of another, winning 3-2 at Clachnacuddin and 2-1 at home to Muir before losing 3-2 to Golspie in the showpiece. Last season they doubled the entry to 4 cups: lost 2-3 at home to Halkirk; lost 2-0 away to Clachnacuddin; won 2-0 at home to Alness before losing 3-1 at Golspie; and again reached a Final where they lost out 4-0 to Golspie after winning at Muir (4-3 aet) and crushing Clachnacuddin 4-1 at home.

How far can football in Orkney go? Could we see them ascending from the NCL into the Highland League one day - or maybe even further, to the SPFL? Can the Western Isles or Shetland ever emulate their progress?

Lewis had a team in the North Caledonian Cup last year. They lost to Alness United 1-0 I believe.

Last season Shetland and Lewis & Harris followed Orkney's earlier lead, entering 2 and 1 cups respectively:

Thurso 1-1 Shetland (3-5p)

Shetland 2-3 Golspie

Shetland 2-0 Sutherland Utd

Shetland 1-1 Golspie (1-3p)

Alness Utd 1-0 Lewis & Harris

Shetland also entered the North Challenge Cup of 2008-09 alongside HL clubs and Golspie. They won 5-0 at Fort William before crashing 6-2 at Cove. Unfortunately that was their only participation, as the NCC was scrapped the following season due to HL expanding to 18 clubs.

The amateur teams from the islands both north and west are generally stronger sides than the Inverness and District Amateurs going by the number of teams from the islands that have won the Highland Amateur Cup over the years

So considering a good number of players from the North Juniors West and NCL play for the top amateur sides in the I&DA during the summer months, I would think a team from Orkney would give a more than a good account of themselves in the NCL, probably win it within the first couple of years.

I've wondered before if teams from Shetland, Orkney and the Western Isles could compete. I reckon if they had one team per each rather than more and diluting the local talent, they'd have a chance of getting up into the SFL, if some sort of proper pyramid system with promotion to the Highland League is set up.

Is football the main sport in each area, or are they more into egg-chasing or shinty or some weird Viking sports like eleven-a-side pillaging?

I've wondered before if teams from Shetland, Orkney and the Western Isles could compete. I reckon if they had one team per each rather than more and diluting the local talent, they'd have a chance of getting up into the SFL, if some sort of proper pyramid system with promotion to the Highland League is set up.

Is football the main sport in each area, or are they more into egg-chasing or shinty or some weird Viking sports like eleven-a-side pillaging?

Do they not play a weird medieval game involving 'uppies' and 'doonies' that's not much more than an organised scrap.

I used to have a flatmate from Lewis and the biggest pastime seemed to be getting far too wankered to do anything, never mind consider sport. That and hating people that aren't white and straight.

Do they not play a weird medieval game involving 'uppies' and 'doonies' that's not much more than an organised scrap.

The Ba' its called, and yes you describe it well. Basically an organised brawl that lasts all day while people try and get the Ba' to one end of the town by any means necessary.

As for the place I spend a week there a couple of years back and loved it. Friendly people and some stunning scenery, a few good pubs where you are made welcome as well.

I think it is, yes, although obviously their location makes it difficult for teams to play outwith their own island groupings.

All 3 compete at the Island Games football, which Shetland has previously hosted and won.

Orkney and Shetland have rugby union clubs that have occasionally threatened to do something in the Scottish Rugby pyramid, and Scottish Rugby Cup.

Incidentally they've played in the national rugby levels before - and Orkney currently play in the North League (tier 5) which runs down to Fife, Stirling, Dundee and Clackmannan - despite rugby being mostly amateur. SRU provides travel assistance grants, IIRC.

There doesn't seem to be any Shinty in the Northern or Western isles, bar one shinty club - not competiting in adult leagues - in Uist.

The main problem for them if progressing through an eventual pyramid as the location may limit there progress. Say one day they do get into the SPFL League two they would need everyone in the island supporting them because they wouldn't exactly get much of an away support. They also wouldn't take much fan to places limiting the support of the team. All the best for them though and it'll be nice watching there progress in the coming years.

I like him already.

He looked and acted like an abused puppy. He also drank smart price cider and spent his days attempting to make moonshine. That what you will from that. Bff material.

He looked and acted like an abused puppy. He also drank smart price cider and spent his days attempting to make moonshine. That what you will from that. Bff material.

All people who live on the islands are shits. I'd vote for independence if we weren't stuck with them tbh

Archived