So why are people voting NO?

1320Lichtie

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Awaits people having a go at me but hey-ho*

I'm voting no because at the moment things are pretty fine as they are, the economy is coming out of the recession, more people are employed than the last howevermany years and I don't think the turmoil caused by the referendum (especially with so many unanswered questions) would be a good thing for the country. I'm not saying it should never happen but right now I believe the risks far outweigh the potential positives.

To me having more powers (guaranteed) yet keeping the pound and the stability it brings with it sounds like the ideal combination, as I was born after Thatcher then I also have no hatred for the Tories which seems to be many peoples reason for voting yes. She's dead and it's time for everyone to move on.

Anyway that's my view on it and unless Westminster tries to build a railway line through my house that's how I'll be voting, hope this answered your question OP :)

E.T.A Oh aye forgot about the apparent rise in taxes after independence (assuming this is true) then it's another reason I'd be completely against it, my Uncle used to live in Norway and I really have no desire to be paying £9 (Or Scottish Pounds/Euros/Salmonds/Goats) for a coffee. I for one would not be willing to pay more taxes just to be independent.

Britains economy is one of the worst in the developed world.

What powers?

Why wouldn't we keep the pound?

What stability?

More the fact that they are continuously in power when Scotland don't vote for them as a majority. We don't have much/if any say who governs us.

And I'm pretty sure the average minimum wage in Norway is MUCH higher than the UK too so that'll be why...

*Awaits people having a go at me but hey-ho* ok then!

I'm voting no because at the moment things are pretty fine as they are, the economy is coming out of the recession, more people are employed than the last howevermany years and I don't think the turmoil caused by the referendum (especially with so many unanswered questions) would be a good thing for the country. I'm not saying it should never happen but right now I believe the risks far outweigh the potential positives.

Things are fine as they are? The widest gap between rich and poor in Europe? Foodbanks? Austerity cuts? Privatisation of the NHS? Not getting the Government you voted for? ATOS? Zero hours contracts? These are all fine to you?

To me having more powers (guaranteed) yet keeping the pound and the stability it brings with it sounds like the ideal combination, as I was born after Thatcher then I also have no hatred for the Tories which seems to be many peoples reason for voting yes. She's dead and it's time for everyone to move on.

More powers are "guaranteed"? Have you seen a legally binding contract to this effect? Do you think the Tories, could, um, be saying this to get a No vote? Peoples hatred of the Tories goes a lot deeper than Thatcher. Awarding their rich pals contracts, making sure the gap between rich and poor widens while people have to walk miles to foodbanks. That seems fair to you?

Anyway that's my view on it and unless Westminster tries to build a railway line through my house that's how I'll be voting, hope this answered your question OP :)

E.T.A Oh aye forgot about the apparent rise in taxes after independence (assuming this is true) then it's another reason I'd be completely against it, my Uncle used to live in Norway and I really have no desire to be paying £9 (Or Scottish Pounds/Euros/Salmonds/Goats) for a coffee. I for one would not be willing to pay more taxes just to be independent.

Taxes will NOT rise after indy. We are richer than rUK, France, Italy and Japan. We'll be more than fine on our own. Please, for the love of god, read up on some actual facts instead of blindly believing what the media feed you. Make your own mind up, don't let others make it for you.

Thing is, the recovery we are apparently enjoying is illusory because it is largely based on rising property prices in the South East of England. We all know how that works out!

Then there is the debt which continues to increase and is unsustainable. Scotland would have its share of debt but at least we have the assets to deal with it long term and those assets are the primary reason why Westminter wants us to vote no.

Don't be fooled, the economic recovery is shallow and we desperately need to refocus on manufacturing rather than putting all our eggs in the City of London financial services basket which will inevitably go pear shaped again.

And does "things are fine at the moment" include people surviving on food banks and the 20% of our population living in poverty or does it just apply to you?

The economy is only picking up in London. Something like 90% of the jobs created in the UK in 2013 were in London and only 1% was in Scotland.
There are people out there that work but still need to go to food banks to feed their kids. That shouldn't be happening in a civilised country.
A Tesco recently opened in Knightswood, not a bad area, in Glasgow and they had more than 1000 applicants for 30 positions.
People want to work but there are no jobs for low skilled people.
Also the original Devo Max that was put forward, which would have given us all our own power and stay in the Union was rejected by David Cameron. That choice would have been the easy winner in the referendum with the polls showing it getting more than 65% of the vote.
He was so set against us having more powers he risked this vote and Scotland leaving. He won't give us more powers. He's just trying to appeal to voters with empty promises.
We can keep the pound if we are independent. It's a tradeable currency on the Stock market. We could use the Yen, Dollar, Peseta or whatever we want.
We just can't set the inflation rate.

Fair enough mate.

On the employment though, the figures are skewed. When I was part of the back to work program they didn't count me as being unemployed even though I was still signing on. They are thousands of people all over the country at these work programs who are unemployed. Also was it not proven the other week there was jobs on the gov.uk website that didn't actually exist.

Do you think it's fair that there is thousands of families only surviving because of food banks when you see the amount of money Westminster are pissing away? The tax payers lost out on £1bn when the Tories privatised the Royal Mail. I guarantee you Cameron didn't lose out on any money. Same thing will happen to the NHS.

Not having a go bud, thats your view. I am seeing a entirely different opportunity than you.

You don't. I'm asking why people are. Because surely you must have a reason for it, not just gonna go in and do eeeenie meeenie miney mo are ya?

I'm undecided so I don't have a reason for voting yet.

All over social media and forums it seems like you have to justify your choice of vote, especially if you have chosen to vote No.

All over social media and forums it seems like you have to justify your choice of vote, especially if you have chosen to vote No.

You see it as justifying. I see it as debate. Why would you be scared of discussing your reasoning?

There are MANY reasons why I'm voting Yes.

For the last 30 years, we have paid more into Westminster than we've got out.

I am heartily sick of how unequal this country is. Foodbanks and austerity cuts devastate lives whilst the ConDem cabinet, with multiple millionaires ensure rich people in the South East prosper.

We have only had the Government we have voted for TWICE since World War 2.

Oil? Read this:

psdm.jpg

There are MANY, MANY more reasons, that's only a few.

Well got quite a few responses there! Was going to respond to everyone but doubt I'd have time!

I know I have a different opinion to loads of people (probably about 43% of people!) but that's what I believe. I hope I answered your question to an extent 1320 but comparing me to Darling! How very dare you :P

Presumably because people are surprised when they find out someone is voting No. It's a hateful and selfish act generally borne out of ignorance or political or religious bigotry, so you sort of hope nobody would do such a thing let alone admit to it in public.

Presumably because people are surprised when they find out someone is voting No. It's a hateful and selfish act generally borne out of ignorance or political or religious bigotry, so you sort of hope nobody would do such a thing let alone admit to it in public.

In your opinion.

Well got quite a few responses there! Was going to respond to everyone but doubt I'd have time!

I know I have a different opinion to loads of people (probably about 43% of people!) but that's what I believe. I hope I answered your question to an extent 1320 but comparing me to Darling! How very dare you :P

Rather than just say "I hope I answered your questions", is there not part of you that wonders why so many people are coming back to you on what you said? Isn't there a part of you that naturally wants to inquire further?

Rather than just say "I hope I answered your questions", is there not part of you that wonders why so many people are coming back to you on what you said? Isn't there a part of you that naturally wants to inquire further?

Meh sort of but to be honest I've heard everything before now, Facebook, Twitter and on here and the live debates I've been to are filled with the same conversations and the same questions and answers. I doubt I'd learn anything new. I have 95% decided that I'm going to vote No and only a very big change in events in the next 10 weeks will change that.

Meh sort of but to be honest I've heard everything before now, Facebook, Twitter and on here and the live debates I've been to are filled with the same conversations and the same questions and answers. I doubt I'd learn anything new. I have 95% decided that I'm going to vote No and only a very big change in events in the next 10 weeks will change that.

Absolutely and genuinely no disrespect meant to you but the arguement you put across read like bullet points from a BetterTogether leaflet, which suggest to me that you haven't fully investigated BOTH sides of the debate.

Aye, never really felt that way as I've been challenged countless of times over why I'm voting YES, dinna get too paranoid laddy YES voters aren't trying to brainwash you or make you do something you don't want to they are just trying to spread the message.

I mean I've gotten far to caught up in this, I didn't really care beforehand, I love Scotland and all things Scottish but this vote didn't really bother me, then a few free nights I had I started looking into it when I was bored and I now feel like the way things are currently need changed pronto and that things should be better and fairer in this country.

Now I feel that passionate about it I'm getting into debates on a daily basis, maybe that's why it seems that way for you, YES voters maybe a bit more passionate over this vote than the NO side who are maybe a bit more lackadaisical to the whole thing.

Could you at least try and attempt to answer some though? To an observer it looks as though every single one of your reasons are baseless and have been pretty easily argued against. By just refusing to debate and stand by your convictions it looks as though you are happy to accept just one side of the argument and will not listen to reason

Archived