So why are people voting NO?

1320Lichtie

Typically in my experience it's fear of the unknown. I think this is strongest in those approaching or recently retired, they know that they will be reliant on state income(pension)/ state services like the NHS in the not to distant future when Scotland would still be a new country and finding its feet a little. Older think f**k it won't affect me for too long(they are however more likely to be britnats) and younger are confident enough that by the time comes that they take more from the state than they put in any snags will be sorted out.

Thats a bit of guesswork in terms of ages but is my experience.

Edit- also a split in terms of income, those that consider themselves fairly comfortable see no reason for wholesale change, don't won't to risk the unknown as they're ok as it is.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dee, I have said this time and again but I'll repeat it: Scots have punched way above their weight in Britain since 1707 and have had a disproportionate influence in the government of Britain.

If you want to see how Scottish politicians do politics then look at Westminster. Anyone who think that Scottish politicians will become angels overnight because they get a taxi to EH1 rather than SW1 is a deluded fool.

I'm ashamed you are Scottish.

Dee, I have said this time and again but I'll repeat it: Scots have punched way above their weight in Britain since 1707 and have had a disproportionate influence in the government of Britain.

If you want to see how Scottish politicians do politics then look at Westminster. Anyone who think that Scottish politicians will become angels overnight because they get a taxi to EH1 rather than SW1 is a deluded fool.

I'm ashamed you are Scottish.

And was a f**k given?

My old man's a staunch NO. He will not be swayed. He's voting no because he says he is happy with how his life is right now and doesn't want taxes to rise. He doesn't want to lose the pound, not be a member of the EU and not be a member of NATO. If I was better at debating and knew more about it all I would be able to argue with him.

He was debating with me and an undecided friend the other night. He was probably doing fine until he revealed he is very very anti SNP and despises Salmond, who is a Nazi. He thinks a vote for independence is a vote for the SNP when obviously it's not. Tragic stuff. Then he claimed we needed Trident. Which we don't. I think there is a lot of old blokes like my dad who think this way, they don't have the vision or the drive for change. They are all for the Union and its history. Utter doom merchants.

I'm terrible at debating about independence and I don't know a lot about it. But I know after watching videos about it with the points raised I think it's all good. The NO campaign comes across as totally miserable whereas the YES campaign is exciting and it feels like we have a massive opportunity here.

They're voting no because they are feart, and they are feart because the No Campaign has made them that way. For fucks sake even my old maw, who was an SNP activist back in the day was considering a no because she was scared about her pension. She's come to her senses thankfully, but we need to reassure these 'No' voters that it's going to be at worse not much different than the status quo.

Blind ignorant voting is another aspect of voting No, as I've found out by talking to No voters. Hatred of Salmond (yes that old chestnut) is going strong. Encountered it in my work today. Along with a couple of voters who "just like things the way they are", without even entertaining looking at the alternatives. Fucking shitebags right enough.

It's about changing structures - with the same political class still in charge.

If someone could give me a gold-plated guarantee that things would change politically then I might be convinced. Nothing I have seen from the SNP government or any other party makes me think they are any different when it comes to dealing with the real decision-makers - the forces of international capitalism.

A Yes vote is your friend. Only twice, TWICE, since World War 2 have Scottish people got the Westminster government we voted for. At least in an iScotland we will get the Government we vote for every single time.

By far the most common response i get when out canvassing is "am no voting for that fat p***k Salmond"

This is a pathetic response and links into my point above. Don't like Salmond? Then don't vote SNP in the first iScotland general election. People who can't see it's far bigger than Salmond don't deserve the vote.

Quite telling that so far I haven't seen any valid reasons for voting No. We have SO much to gain by voting Yes. We're richer than France, Italy, rUK and Japan. We can make the kind of country we want and not be dictated to by a Westminster filled with greed and corruption.

I GENUINELY don't get why anyone wants to vote No. It benefits Scotland not one jot to remain in the UK. Vote No and we become a global laughing stock.

I am all for cutting the NHS right back but what she is talking about wouldn't be punishment from Westminster because Scotland voted No but a result of staying us the Union.

@Confi - It would be all very well voting yes and then voting for someone that isn't Salmond, but what if he gets in anyway? A no vote would guarantee Salmond will never be anything more than a devolved leader

@Confi - It would be all very well voting yes and then voting for someone that isn't Salmond, but what if he gets in anyway? A no vote would guarantee Salmond will never be anything more than a devolved leader

So you agree with those who view disliking Salmond as a valid reason for voting No?

*Awaits people having a go at me but hey-ho*

I'm voting no because at the moment things are pretty fine as they are, the economy is coming out of the recession, more people are employed than the last howevermany years and I don't think the turmoil caused by the referendum (especially with so many unanswered questions) would be a good thing for the country. I'm not saying it should never happen but right now I believe the risks far outweigh the potential positives.

To me having more powers (guaranteed) yet keeping the pound and the stability it brings with it sounds like the ideal combination, as I was born after Thatcher then I also have no hatred for the Tories which seems to be many peoples reason for voting yes. She's dead and it's time for everyone to move on.

Anyway that's my view on it and unless Westminster tries to build a railway line through my house that's how I'll be voting, hope this answered your question OP :)

E.T.A Oh aye forgot about the apparent rise in taxes after independence (assuming this is true) then it's another reason I'd be completely against it, my Uncle used to live in Norway and I really have no desire to be paying £9 (Or Scottish Pounds/Euros/Salmonds/Goats) for a coffee. I for one would not be willing to pay more taxes just to be independent.

Archived