So why are people voting NO?

1320Lichtie

I do think there is a class divide. Better off are voting No. I know this guy whose two boys who are privately educated and to quote him.. "if need be I will be frogmarching them down to the polling booth to vote No" just hope they think, f*ck you dad and vote Yes!!! Scott Hastings last night on Question Time was no surprise, you can see for his type that "UK is OK" and lets keep the plebs in place. Just hope the average folk aren't brainwashed into following Labour and thinking it is a vote for Salmond.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Mr Bairn now a yes voter?

Undecided, I think he came on here as a NO voter and has slowly became undecided.

Apart from his casual trolling he does seem pretty intelligent to be fair.

He will turn the full circle! ;)

Labour will 'probably be voted in' but won't be able to do anything about 'more cuts' - what? They can do what they damn well please if they're voted in.

Do you actually follow politics?

Labour have spent the last 2 years saying "Aye, well, the Tory cuts are dreadful.... but... then again... we'll stick to them because, well, you know, they've been already laid out and stuff and we wouldn't want to rock the boat."

Sorry, but this is just bizzare.

Labour will 'probably be voted in' but won't be able to do anything about 'more cuts' - what? They can do what they damn well please if they're voted in.

I also don't get your statement that MPs, MSPs and MEPs don't have any real power. Of course they don't in isolation! They aren't there to be powerful, they're your representative in parliament and may or may not be from the party that forms the government.

As for why people are voting No, the answer isn't really difficult. I know it's hard for some on this forum to comprehend, but maybe they feel being part of the UK benefits Scotland, and maybe they're happy with the current arrangement.

Why didn't Labour stop the poll tax then?

Do you actually follow politics?

Labour have spent the last 2 years saying "Aye, well, the Tory cuts are dreadful.... but... then again... we'll stick to them because, well, you know, they've been already laid out and stuff and we wouldn't want to rock the boat."

The point insinuated that Labour can do nothing about government cuts, which isn't remotely true.

I didn't say Labour will increase spending again - they have indicated they won't thus far. Talk of increasing spending at a time the country is still borrowing a lot despite cuts and an increasing tax take isn't exactly going to down well and will only result in Labour being branded reckless and financially irresponsible. They are ahead in the polls, but are still haunted by the last three years they had in power. Just wait until the election comes round - any suggestions of Labour increasing spending will result in the Tories savaging them and pointing out that they haven't learned their lesson. Rash promises will cost them. Miliband and Balls take a lot of stick (including from me) but they've acted fairly smartly so far, if a bit desperate with some populist policies born out of ideology without considering the practical effects they may have.

Why didn't Labour stop the poll tax then?

Not exactly easy for them to stop it when Margaret Thatcher was PM and they weren't in government.

I was a no voter because I am not a fan of salmond. However as time passed I realised it's something bigger than that and I wanted to help my country. I have never felt British, never felt any pride in Britishness, it's always been Scotland for me.

I was a no voter because I am not a fan of salmond. However as time passed I realised it's something bigger than that and I wanted to help my country. I have never felt British, never felt any pride in Britishness, it's always been Scotland for me.

Seems to be a lot of people like this, Salmond haters that is. I wish he was a Ryan Gosling lookalike and that Sturgeon was a Mila Kunis lookalike seeing as Salmonds appearance seems to upset everyone so much.

As this thread has already shown a lot of people seem to be looking into what political parties etc have done far too much this is a different kettle of fish. This is a chance for us as a country to step up to the plate.

I'm the same with the last bit, Britain or British means nothing to me. I'm Scottish. But that's still not why I'm voting YES, again this is bigger than identity.

Anyone considering voting No, should for a start read the McCrone Report, and if that doesn't move them, then I despair.

Labour are a total joke, and now bedfellows at Westminster with the Tories, the downward spiral will continue for the majority regardless of who is in power at Westminster.

The new aircraft carrier recently launched and the proposed Trident renenwal is lining the pockets of defence pals of Westminster. There are no other reasons to have these abominations. HS2 another waste of money, although Scotland will pay a hefty price for a toytown speedlink that goes as far as Birmingham.

Holyrood is not the land of milk and honey but morally it is far better than the cesspit that is Wasteminster.

For anyone to claim Scotland will not become a backwater and Westminsters bitch, after a No vote is seriously deluded.

How anyone can turn down the opportunity of a better society in a independent Scotland is beyond me, and say No, I'm happy with austerity, cost of living crisis, DWP's harrassment of the poor and sick, Westminsters pointless vanity exercises, the continued selling off of prize UK assets, the continued expenses rip offs, big business/banks pulling the strings meanwhile the majority pick up the tab, the majority who didnt cause the problem.

The way Westminster and Better Together have "handled" their campaign is an insult to both Yes and No voters. They are insulting our intelligence with their rhetoric, and sadly people are buying into it. The media cannot be trusted.

The only reason Mr Cameron will be "broken hearted" is because he will no longer be able to bleed Scotland dry for Westminsters benefit.

Remember this, Scotland is the only country to have discovered oil and become poorer as a result, just let that sink in. And before you claim oil is coming to an an end, there has been record investent in this sector this year, do you think it is really as bad as Westminster make out?

The only reason people will vote No, is through fear of change, selfishness or ignorance. They can dress it up however they want, but that is the truth. No other country has refused independence in the past, Scotland will be a laughing stock on the world stage with no backbone if we vote No.

Finally David Cameron wont debate with Alex Salmond but will use all the power at Westminster and taxpayers cash to fight independence, that shows you the mark of the man. No backbone, no balls and no hope, a pathetic excuse for a PM

Seems to be a lot of people like this, Salmond haters that is. I wish he was a Ryan Gosling lookalike and that Sturgeon was a Mila Kunis lookalike seeing as Salmonds appearance seems to upset everyone so much.

Curious comment. He, himself has got all image conscious with his diet and slimming down.

I respected him when he was 'Fat Eck'.

Nothing convinces me either way.

Independence is not the great disaster that BT are making out nor is it this great leap forward that Yes are saying.

It's about changing structures - with the same political class still in charge.

If someone could give me a gold-plated guarantee that things would change politically then I might be convinced. Nothing I have seen from the SNP government or any other party makes me think they are any different when it comes to dealing with the real decision-makers - the forces of international capitalism.

Curious comment. He, himself has got all image conscious with his diet and slimming down.

I respected him when he was 'Fat Eck'.

The amount of people his age that will be of a similar size yet everyone seems to take the piss out of him for his weight, if I was him I'd start to feel a bit health conscious too if I was getting called a fat b*****d all the time. No wonder he's doing it....!!!

Salmond is a p***k but being a Scandinavian type country is probably kinda fun. I mean our burds are bound to get better looking overnight and Scandi countries always do well in the Eurovision. It's a win-win really.

I'm a bit worried about Putin though

If someone could give me a gold-plated guarantee that things would change politically then I might be convinced. Nothing I have seen from the SNP government or any other party makes me think they are any different when it comes to dealing with the real decision-makers - the forces of international capitalism.

Dee, I have said this time and again but I'll repeat it: Scots have punched way above their weight in Britain since 1707 and have had a disproportionate influence in the government of Britain.

If you want to see how Scottish politicians do politics then look at Westminster. Anyone who think that Scottish politicians will become angels overnight because they get a taxi to EH1 rather than SW1 is a deluded fool.

Archived