some amateur teams pay more than junior teams why ?

jimwithabigdog

how is it possible for amateur teams to pay more wages and sponsorship deals than junior teams as I know of a few players that have left junior football and are playing amateur football and are getting a better deal. I know there will be a few saying it's not about money. This is not true. If it was then players playing in the Premier league would be Happy playing top football At any level And Not bothering about the wages and would to be just happy playing football , but let's be realistic everyone has bills to pay. I am just wondering if this is a good thing for the future of football, but I suppose if you're football scout it doesn't matter if its junior Or amateur Football That you go to look at when you go to see your potential candidate but it does make you think, . I suppose at the end of the season you could play the top junior team against the top amateur team. This post is not to antagonise anyone. It is just merely an observation on what I am hearing and seeing everyone stay happy and safe

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amateur teams can't, by Law, pay wages to players. They can pay (reasonable) expenses for travelling to away games but tax from all other expenses incurred (keeper's gloves, boots, etc.) must be claimed by the player from HMRC.

Do some clubs regularly bend this Law, Hell yes, but if HMRC catch them...

Amateur teams can't, by Law, pay wages to players. They can pay (reasonable) expenses for travelling to away games but tax from all other expenses incurred (keeper's gloves, boots, etc.) must be claimed by the player from HMRC.

Do some clubs regularly bend this Law, Hell yes, but if HMRC catch them...

.....and there ends this thread!

how is it possible for amateur teams to pay more wages and sponsorship deals than junior teams as I know of a few players that have left junior football and are playing amateur football and are getting a better deal. I know there will be a few saying it's not about money. This is not true. If it was then players playing in the Premier league would be Happy playing top football At any level And Not bothering about the wages and would to be just happy playing football , but let's be realistic everyone has bills to pay. I am just wondering if this is a good thing for the future of football, but I suppose if you're football scout it doesn't matter if its junior Or amateur Football That you go to look at when you go to see your potential candidate but it does make you think, . I suppose at the end of the season you could play the top junior team against the top amateur team. This post is not to antagonise anyone. It is just merely an observation on what I am hearing and seeing everyone stay happy and safe

Whilst I'm sure you are not 100% wrong, unless you can provide budgets for amateur and junior clubs then you are really just guessing.

What clubs are you referring to?

It's been going on for years, I was offered £1000 to go to falkirk amateurs about 8 years ago as we're a few other guys I was playing with. I know of one guy that went , took the money and ran.....there's not a thing they can do! 2 players have just left camelon in the super league to play for bannock burn amateurs. Now there's no way they are taking that huge step down to play in council parks for the love of the game !!?

Amateur football will always attract your well off local businessman who has a soft spot for his local amateur side. These guys not only want the team to win the big prizes but they want the glory and to go down in local folklore.

It's been going on for years, I was offered £1000 to go to falkirk amateurs about 8 years ago as we're a few other guys I was playing with. I know of one guy that went , took the money and ran.....there's not a thing they can do! 2 players have just left camelon in the super league to play for bannock burn amateurs. Now there's no way they are taking that huge step down to play in council parks for the love of the game !!?

Falkirk Afc were minted not sure about now if theyre still going

As for now ive heard players leaving several junior clubs from a Super league side and Premier league for Amatuer football. and these are very good players which i think is a waste to the junior game.

What players you talking about as I know for a fact they will not get any money at Bannockburn

What players you talking about as I know for a fact they will not get any money at Bannockburn

i believe McGowan and keeper Michael Watson have both signed for bannockburn. I'm not for one minute saying I know for a fact they are or aren't paying money, I just think it's strange they have dropped from superleague to amateur as I know these players were wanted by junior clubs . I think the point being , we all know it's going on with some amateur clubs .......it's just a shame that these players are leaving the junior game. There are some good amateur sides, but long term it's more beneficial for players to be in the junior goldfish bowl as they could land a big move if they do well at their respective clubs.

i believe McGowan and keeper Michael Watson have both signed for bannockburn.

Who both came to Camelon from the Am game so no shock that they have gone back to the Ams.

After being at camelon previously, Watson was released to join a fife junior team last season and getting bloody good money. He was also offered another deal this season at camelon and Danny smith wanted him as back up at Linlithgow and I know also know that he was wanted by other juniors , so I would say it is a bit of a shock when offers like that are on the table and he goes to play for an amateur side 'for nothing.' I managed a club in the john smiths central afl a few years ago and yeah it is a top league as far as amateurs are concerned , but all the top sides were pumping money into players with no way of recouping their losses.....drumchapel were league winners , Scottish winners etc, 4 Scottish amateur players in the side at the time. where are they now? They are out the game because once the money game starts it has to be maintained season after season . I know with the falkirk afc situation that anyone that was contacted by them wanted money because they knew others were getting it , so this situation spirals out of control .

You seem obsessed with money, McGoo and Bubba arent and want to play with their mates every week as IIUC Bannockburn already have 3 or so former Camelon players, its really not that hard to understand.

This particular forum is Re : 'money ' so I'm hardly obsessed . If I was obsessed I would have taken falkirk ams up on their offer, but I didn't! It's all down to the individuals and I'm not judging anyone or any clubs for that matter .....I'm just amazed that players ambitions are to play on council parks with their mates instead of trying to better themselves.

A agree wi juniorG,,,,I have asked loads of amatuer,,,players, n they have said there on good money,,,or the management is giving me a job ,,,,,I have always Said ,,wits the point in being amatuer,,,if your paying players,,,,why not apply to join the juniors,,but a lot want to b big fish,,,,,n a small pond,,,,but if clubs pay , then it's just blatant cheating,,,,,

I represented my club at a meeting 2 years ago and it was mandatory that all clubs attended or be subject to a fine by the SJFA. The meeting was called by HMRC and all clubs were informed by them that it was necessary to operate PAYE and keep proper accountancy records ,the inspector told the meeting if any clubs had problems to contact him and he would help them meet their statutory obligations. He commented that failure to do so could lead to heavy penalties and quoted that he had an average take of £4000 from clubs who failed to comply. He was asked about the amateur situation and replied that HMRC were looking closely at this situation.It is unwise to band clubs names about on forums because this is one of the ways that HMRC get leads

Archived