Gay Cakes - Should They Be Allowed?

Why?

If the baker doesn't want to bake a cake with "gay pride" or whatever it said, why should he? this doesn't just go for promoting gay right, he should be able to refuse making any cake he wants.

If i was a baker and i got an order asking me to make a cake with a King Billy, 1690 etc.. I wouldn't do it, should the state make me?

If he decided he wouldn't service the guys because they are gay. thats a different story.

I find it ridiculous these people are taking legal action against him because of it, I seen a quote earlier that said something along the lines of, I don't believe gay people have been fighting for their rights just so they could trample on other peoples

You did that on purpose, right?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are trying to make me out to be stupid, not cool.

As far as I am concerned they did discriminate. I the owners had kept it to "we just didn't want to make it" as opposed to the bible, man & woman not 2 men shite, they might have got away with it.

You're trying to make me out to be some sort of bigot apologised.

They didn't want to customise a cake.. It would be different if they turned around and said they don't serve gay people.

As i said earlier, it's kinda ironic gay people have been fighting for rights for so long, and this guy decided he wants to trample on other peoples

And in this case, they refused (or claim they refused) because they were uncomfortable with the message, not the people they were serving.

I suspect it would be difficult to prove this as discriminatory.

I would completely disagree and suggest that saying they are uncomfortable with the message shows exactly why they are being discriminatory.

As far as I understand it (and I admit I'm no expert) if they refused to make the cake because the couple were gay then they're breaking the law. If they refused to do it because of the message on the cake (whatever it is) then they're just narrow minded. I get where people are coming from with the 'if there was only one baker in town' stuff but c'mon, its the 21st century and the internet is full of folk who will provide all kinds of service (steady !). You might have to pay a bit more for it but if I lived in a village with a small cornershop as the only shop I couldn't really bitch if they didn't have my favourite bottle of wine.

Its two sets of arseholes who are hiding behind 'rights'. No one comes out of it looking good.

They didn't want to customise a cake.. It would be different if they turned around and said they don't serve gay people.

As i said earlier, it's kinda ironic gay people have been fighting for rights for so long, and this guy decided he wants to trample on other peoples

You're better than this.

They refused the cake because their religion said gay relationships are wrong, they handily provided some quotes to prove this. They ARE bigots on those grounds alone.

This is exactly the behaviour that excludes minorities in small communities. Enforcing their values on them. "You can have a cake but not one that acknowledges your legal relationship". This is the kind of thing that unpopular minorities and immigrants meet in smaller communities.

Doesn't it work both ways?

"oh wait you don't want to make a cake promoting gay pride, tough shit, you have no choice, we're taking you to court"

Again, you seem to be misunderstanding my argument about a business refusing to customise a cake for someone, and a business refusing to serve someone simply because they are gay.

They refused the cake because their religion said gay relationships are wrong, they handily provided some quotes to prove this. They ARE bigots on those grounds alone.

Did they refuse to serve the individuals because they are gay?

A simple yes or no

I would completely disagree and suggest that saying they are uncomfortable with the message shows exactly why they are being discriminatory.

So they should have been forced to make the cake despite the message being at odds with their religious beliefs?

Sounds awfully discriminatory to me...

Serve :oops

Away and shite.

If you own a business you also have rights, if you don't want to customize a cake, you should be able to without the fear of being taken to court.

You're a bigot apologist trying to hide behind a shit 'rights' argument. You'd have been the sort in the 60's arguing the 'rights' of landlords to have signs saying "no blacks or Irish".

A business has the right to refuse service to anyone it desires. It does not have the right to refuse service on discriminatory grounds.

Exactly.

Anyone with access to the Internet who doesn't understand this should not contribute to this thread.

As far as I understand it (and I admit I'm no expert) if they refused to make the cake because the couple were gay then they're breaking the law. If they refused to do it because of the message on the cake (whatever it is) then they're just narrow minded. I get where people are coming from with the 'if there was only one baker in town' stuff but c'mon, its the 21st century and the internet is full of folk who will provide all kinds of service (steady !). You might have to pay a bit more for it but if I lived in a village with a small cornershop as the only shop I couldn't really bitch if they didn't have my favourite bottle of wine.

Its two sets of arseholes who are hiding behind 'rights'. No one comes out of it looking good.

No it's absolutely not. It's one set of people looking to exercise their hard fought for rights and a set of narrow minded bigots.

So they should have been forced to make the cake despite the message being at odds with their religious beliefs?

Sounds awfully discriminatory to me...

Tough. If you want to hold discriminatory beliefs, don't run a public-serving business. This is just the B&B case all over again.

This is just the B&B case all over again.

I'm assuming rico agrees with the B&B couple refusing to give a room to the gay couple. I believe the couple in question quotes it was their "religious beliefs" that wouldn't allow then to let them have a room.

I'm assuming rico agrees with the B&B couple refusing to give a room to the gay couple. I believe the couple in question quotes it was their "religious beliefs" that wouldn't allow then to let them have a room.

I generally think Enrico is one of the better OF posters on the site, but he's wrong on this.

Archived