Gay Cakes - Should They Be Allowed?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're not being refused service for being gay. I don't see the problem, as i don't believe it's upto the state to force people to do things they'd rather not.

They are however refusing to make a product on the grounds that it's to be used to promote something they're against.

What would have happened here if someone here wanted a Yes! cake and the baker went "pfffff, aye right!" because they were a Better Together voter though?

They're not being refused service for being gay. I don't see the problem, as i don't believe it's upto the state to force people to do things they'd rather not.

No, but they're being refused a wedding cake for being gay, and now that gay weddings are legal.............................

I sort of see where you're coming from as regards the state forcing people to do things they don't want to do, but they are a business open to the public, and presumably all of the public?

Some of the quotes from the bakery owners about the bible and man/woman shit are ridiculous. They were refused service because it was for an organisation promoting gay rights.

No, but they're being refused a wedding cake for being gay, and now that gay weddings are legal.............................

I sort of see where you're coming from as regards the state forcing people to do things they don't want to do, but they are a business open to the public, and presumably all of the public?

Northern Ireland is now the only part of the UK which has not passed a law to introduce same-sex marriage.

Hmmmm.

The cake was actually for promoting gay marriage at an anti-homophobia event.

As for the point on businesses being open to the public, this is true, but surely they have the right to refuse any order? I think their biggest problem was accepting it in the first place then cancelling it.

Bullshit.

Why?

If the baker doesn't want to bake a cake with "gay pride" or whatever it said, why should he? this doesn't just go for promoting gay right, he should be able to refuse making any cake he wants.

If i was a baker and i got an order asking me to make a cake with a King Billy, 1690 etc.. I wouldn't do it, should the state make me?

If he decided he wouldn't service the guys because they are gay. thats a different story.

I find it ridiculous these people are taking legal action against him because of it, I seen a quote earlier that said something along the lines of, I don't believe gay people have been fighting for their rights just so they could trample on other peoples

They are however refusing to make a product on the grounds that it's to be used to promote something they're against.

What would have happened here if someone here wanted a Yes! cake and the baker went "pfffff, aye right!" because they were a Better Together voter though?

As a time-served tradesman I'd refuse to produce a "Yes" cake on the grounds that I don't do anything half-baked ;)

Why?

If the baker doesn't want to bake a cake with "gay pride" or whatever it said, why should he? this doesn't just go for promoting gay right, he should be able to refuse making any cake he wants.

If i was a baker and i got an order asking me to make a cake with a King Billy, 1690 etc.. I wouldn't do it, should the state make me?

If he decided he wouldn't service the guys because they are gay. thats a different story.

I find it ridiculous these people are taking legal action against him because of it, I seen a quote earlier that said something along the lines of, I don't believe gay people have been fighting for their rights just so they could trample on other peoples

Surely I have the right not to "service" gay gentlemen?

Why?

There was nothing offensive on the cake, so it was refused on religious grounds, this is wrong as religion is a lot of pish and god doesn't exist. Anyone who refuses to make such a cake is a bigot and so would you be refusing to make a cake with king billy or 1690.

Archived