2046 world cup bid?

Mr Bairn

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if we could, if for no other reason than it would be the first time in ages Scotland were guaranteed to fucking qualify for something! I'm just not convinced it would be an effective use of government resources (inevitably they would have to intervene as our football clubs aren't rich enough to build 35k stadiums on a whim).

It's one thing to focus a bid for the Commonwealth Games around the creation of a range of facilities and the regeneration of a particular area of Glasgow. It's quite another to put a bid together that basically throws public money at giving Pittodrie, Tannadice and a couple of Gaelic football grounds a tart-up job.

It's a likely non starter but for the sake of fun thomond park in limerick might not need too much work to host a euros group match. 25k capacity with 15k seated at the moment.

I don't know enough about Irish sport to say whether they'd be willing to build or significantly upgrade two of their stadiums outside of Dublin.

Thomond Park (Munster Rugby's ground in Limerick) has two large modern all seater stands, with small terraces behind each goal. I could see that being temporarily expanded for a tournament without it being a huge problem. IIRC Cork GAA are planning on turning Páirc Uí Chaoimh into a 45,000 all seater stadium as well.

It's not completely implausible

The World Cup is a colossal machine designed to take money of of the pockets of taxpayers and siphon it straight to four or five megacorporations. An independent Scotland should have nothing whatsoever to do with a bid.

I doubt England will get it either, what with about 30% of its current landmass (the bit that three quarters of the population live in at present) being underwater by 2046.

• 5 years later...
On 10/07/2014 at 17:27, Thumper said:

The World Cup is a colossal machine designed to take money of of the pockets of taxpayers and siphon it straight to four or five megacorporations. An independent Scotland should have nothing whatsoever to do with a bid.

I doubt England will get it either, what with about 30% of its current landmass (the bit that three quarters of the population live in at present) being underwater by 2046.

Hgfj

On 23/08/2019 at 14:05, Melanius Mullarkey said:

By 2046 the World Cup will have gone the way of the Euros with the competition played across the world due to supersonic jets making a come back and us all being able to travel 10000 miles in a couple of hours.

"us all being able"

Sure we all will.

On 23/08/2019 at 14:05, Melanius Mullarkey said:

By 2046 the World Cup will have gone the way of the Euros with the competition played across the world due to supersonic jets making a come back and us all being able to travel 10000 miles in a couple of hours.

It will have to be held in Northern Greenland though so we don't all die from heatstroke. Thankfully Barron Trump will have turned it into  massive Vegas by then, it will be great.