2046 world cup bid?

Mr Bairn

Just mulling something over, but by 2046 we could have been an independent country for 30 years.

Now, I know the idea of a small country like Scotland hosting the world cup sounds daft, but think of it like this

-Twice the population of Qatar

-More than 6 times the size of Qatar

-Half the GDP per capita(Half the GDP per capita on twice the population is the same amount of money, plus our GDP per capita might well improve in comparative terms)

The 2018 world cup is in Russia, meaning UEFA can't host again until 2030. That might well come too soon for us and the smart money is on Argentina/Uruguay jointly hosting it anyway, 2034 is likely to go back to a European powerhouse such as England or Spain, ruling Europe out again until 2046.

Now, with it being our 30th anniversary as a separate country and the 100th anniversary of the cancelled world cup, FIFA might want to take football back to where it all started. We won't need the cooling technology of Qatar, but we could well follow there lead on a micro world cup in temporary stadia.

Stadia

Edinburgh cluster:

Murrayfield: 67000

Easter road: Temporary expansion to 40000

Tynecastle: Temporary expansion to 40000

Glasgow cluster:

Hampden: Temporary expansion to 90000

Ibrox: 50000

Celtic park: 60000

Central/North cluster:

New temporary stadium in Stirling/Falkirk area: 40000

Dens/Tannadice: Temporary expansion to 40000

Pittodrie: Temporary expansion to 40000

New temporary stadium in Fife: 40000

Southern cluster:

Rugby park: Temporary expansion to 40000

Fir park: Temporary expansion to 40000

Each stadium would host 5/6 group games and either a last 16 game or a quarter final, Celtic park and Murrayfield could have a semi-final each with Hampden getting the final. The opening game would be played at Murrayfield.

Edited by Mr Bairn

Here's another statistic for you.

The indigenous population of Qatar is approximately a quarter of a million. The other 1.5 million+ is made up of migrant workers.

You never hear your Qataris complaining about bloody immigrants, do you? :)

Global warming means that the only place safe for football in 2046 will be a floating pitch over the South Pole, or as Blatter has proposed, on an alien planet, although maybe a moon like Titan would do.

We wouldn't stand a chance. My guess:

2018 - Russia

2022 - Qatar

2026 - CONCACAF (USA probably)

2030 - Uruguay/Argentina (100th anniversary of first WC in Uruguay)

2034 - Probably Asia (China, India or South-east Asia) or Australia

2038 - England

Here's another statistic for you.

The indigenous population of Qatar is approximately a quarter of a million. The other 1.5 million+ is made up of migrant workers.

You never hear your Qataris complaining about bloody immigrants, do you? :)

Mainly because they're modern day serfs.

We wouldn't stand a chance. My guess:

2018 - Russia

2022 - Qatar

2026 - CONCACAF (USA probably)

2030 - Uruguay/Argentina (100th anniversary of first WC in Uruguay)

2034 - Probably Asia (China, India or South-east Asia) or Australia

2038 - England

Agree with you up to 2030(assuming Qatar don't lose it), but there's no way 2034 won't be in Europe, probably in England

If it's a no vote there's every chance of the national team representing Scotland hosting a World Cup, however if the Tory politician tabling an early day motion has his way it will be as team gb. I don't understand why he would even try that before the referendum?

He either thinks 60% of scots want independence so 60% want a UK national team, he's one of those Tory's who actually want us to vote yes or he's just fickle and thinks a UK team would win more games than an England team IMO.

Just for the sake of joining in the fun would it be ridiculous to revive the Celtic (hard c) nations idea. I think the World Cup may be a bit of a stretch but the Euros is well within the ability of a Scottish led and Welsh/Irish abetted bid. IIRC did we not narrowly lose out to Ukraine/Poland by the odd vote?

Just for the sake of joining in the fun would it be ridiculous to revive the Celtic (hard c) nations idea. I think the World Cup may be a bit of a stretch but the Euros is well within the ability of a Scottish led and Welsh/Irish abetted bid. IIRC did we not narrowly lose out to Ukraine/Poland by the odd vote?

In the new format we need 10 stadiums with a capacity greater than (I think) 30k or 35k and we'd need to see how flexible they were on how many of them would be allowed to be in the same city. By my reckoning, if we were to put in a joint bid with the Republic of Ireland, we could realistically get:

Hampden, Celtic Park, Ibrox, Murrayfield already meeting the criteria. We may only be allowed to use 2 of the Glasgow stadiums.

Croke Park, The Aviva, the MacHale Park (so far as I can see only used as a Gaelic football stadium but should be useable) already meeting the criteria in the Republic.

That means, realistically, a joint bid would need to promise to build or significantly expand at least 4 stadiums between the two countries, none of which could be in Dublin, potentially only one of which could be in Edinburgh. It's not undoable, but we're talking some pretty big money being spent here even if we only have to provide two of them. I'd imagine a new stadium for Aberdeen would be one option, and there might be a deal to be done between the two Dundee clubs to groundshare for a few seasons while either Tannadice or Dens gets demolished and a state-of-the art complex is built, but we'd encounter problems upgrading Tynecastle or Easter Road if one of those proved unworkable and any other stadium would be temporary, manifestly unsuitable for future use, and very expensive.

I don't know enough about Irish sport to say whether they'd be willing to build or significantly upgrade two of their stadiums outside of Dublin.

But for the inevitable UEFA hostility to a 3 or 4-nation bid (which would be seen as taking the piss on automatic qualifying slots, we could have brought the Millennium Stadium and met the quota by upgrading Windsor Park for the Northern Irish, an Aberdeen project for Scotland, upgrade either Cardiff or Swansea's stadiums in Wales and do a job for one Republic stadium. Alas I just don't think an arrangement like that would ever be agreed to. They will be more comfortable with twin bids with the expansion to 24 teams but I just can't see it happening.

Edited by Ad Lib

In the new format we need 10 stadiums with a capacity greater than (I think) 30k or 35k and we'd need to see how flexible they were on how many of them would be allowed to be in the same city. By my reckoning, if we were to put in a joint bid with the Republic of Ireland, we could realistically get:

Hampden, Celtic Park, Ibrox, Murrayfield already meeting the criteria. We may only be allowed to use 2 of the Glasgow stadiums.

Croke Park, The Aviva, the MacHale Park (so far as I can see only used as a Gaelic football stadium but should be useable) already meeting the criteria in the Republic.

That means, realistically, a joint bid would need to promise to build or significantly expand at least 4 stadiums between the two countries, none of which could be in Dublin, potentially only one of which could be in Edinburgh. It's not undoable, but we're talking some pretty big money being spent here even if we only have to provide two of them. I'd imagine a new stadium for Aberdeen would be one option, and there might be a deal to be done between the two Dundee clubs to groundshare for a few seasons while either Tannadice or Dens gets demolished and a state-of-the art complex is built, but we'd encounter problems upgrading Tynecastle or Easter Road if one of those proved unworkable and any other stadium would be temporary, manifestly unsuitable for future use, and very expensive.

I don't know enough about Irish sport to say whether they'd be willing to build or significantly upgrade two of their stadiums outside of Dublin.

But for the inevitable UEFA hostility to a 3 or 4-nation bid (which would be seen as taking the piss on automatic qualifying slots, we could have brought the Millennium Stadium and met the quota by upgrading Windsor Park for the Northern Irish, an Aberdeen project for Scotland, upgrade either Cardiff or Swansea's stadiums in Wales and do a job for one Republic stadium. Alas I just don't think an arrangement like that would ever be agreed to. They will be more comfortable with twin bids with the expansion to 24 teams but I just can't see it happening.

Fair enough. It was just a thought.

Fair enough. It was just a thought.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if we could, if for no other reason than it would be the first time in ages Scotland were guaranteed to fucking qualify for something! I'm just not convinced it would be an effective use of government resources (inevitably they would have to intervene as our football clubs aren't rich enough to build 35k stadiums on a whim).

It's one thing to focus a bid for the Commonwealth Games around the creation of a range of facilities and the regeneration of a particular area of Glasgow. It's quite another to put a bid together that basically throws public money at giving Pittodrie, Tannadice and a couple of Gaelic football grounds a tart-up job.