Commonwealth Games

DeeTillEhDeh

Given they are representing Scotland at the games, it would be a special kind of idiot who abused them for waving the flag of the nation they are representing.

Any Scottish athlete at the commonwealths waving a Union flag is clearly making a political statement given the vote is happening this year and everyone knows about it. They are therefor making themselves a legitimate target for people to express opinions on them. If it was a Scots born athlete waving a saltire at the Olympics while representing GB, you could perhaps make a case for comparing the situations.

Okay, so then you accept that Alex Salmond waving a Scotland flag when Andy Murray was representing GB at wimbledon was making a political point?

Okay, so then you accept that Alex Salmond waving a Scotland flag when Andy Murray was representing GB at wimbledon was making a political point?

I don't think anyone has ever disputed that. It was cringeworthy at best.

No he was having a little bit of fun. Is that not allowed any more?

No he was having a little bit of fun. Is that not allowed any more?

Politician waving saltire in honour of athlete representing GB = having a bit of fun

Athlete waving a union flag after representing Scotland = Open to abuse

I do not compute

Politician waving saltire in honour of athlete representing GB = having a bit of fun

Athlete waving a union flag after representing Scotland = Open to abuse

I do not compute

Just to be entirely pedantic, competitors at Wimbledon do not represent a country, they enter as individuals. He won the Olympic gold medal representing GB but won Wimbledon itself representing Andy Murray.

Are you being serious?

Yes.

Just to be entirely pedantic, competitors at Wimbledon do not represent a country, they enter as individuals. He won the Olympic gold medal representing GB but won Wimbledon itself representing Andy Murray.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/r1s2.html

The official site of wimbledon lists the players names and countries. For British players they are listed as GBR not SCO, ENG etc

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/r1s2.html

The official site of wimbledon lists the players names and countries. For British players they are listed as GBR not SCO, ENG etc

I assumed it was based on the players nationalities, and as Scottish or English are not a nationality they would not be included.

In fact I don't even know what point you are trying to make.

Here. Let me spell things out for you:

1. Salmond was waving the flag for a Scottish tennis player who can also be British at the same time.

2. Scottish athletes at the Commonwealth Games are representing Scotland, not the UK. The UK is not represented in the CG.

Capiche?

Archived