Commonwealth Games

DeeTillEhDeh

I know there are myths regards the effect sport has on the electorate's vote. An oft-quoted example is Labour losing the1970 General Election due to England's loss to Brazil in the World Cup quarter-final.

Does anyone think that a successful (or not) Commonwealth Games could affect the nation's psyche?

I think an unsuccessful games could actually have some impact in bolstering the opinions of those who already intend to vote No.

I sometimes hear folk citing the expensive debacles of the Parliament building and the Edinburgh trams as examples of why "we cannae dae it" - as if no other countries had ever built white elephants at ruinous expense (Millenium Dome, anybody?).

However, since those folk already intended to vote No, and are prepared to give such weak reasons, they are obviously nailed-on No voters anyway, so the Games won't change their minds either way.

I don't think a successful games will really give Yes much of a bounce, and if the Yes campaign or Scottish Government are daft enough to think it will, hell mend them.

It's not looking too good so far.... :wub:

The-parade-uniform-for-Team-Scotland.jpg

The colour of the socks is like a really bad does of the skits. The tartan looks like something you'd find in the lobby of a Highland Heritage Hotel and the guys shirts look like something from a gay rodeo. All that's missing is the fringey bit.

I don't think the Games will matter much to anyone really, apart from those who have an interest in track and field events. If Scotland end up at the top of the medal table, annihilating everyone in their path, then it may just cause a ripple of national euphoria, but I doubt it could ever affect the vote.

Don't think the games will make a blind bit of difference to the outcome in September.

Just spare us the sight of Salmond stoating about draped in a Saltire waiting to pounce for a selfie with any Scot who gets anywhere near the podium.please. :rolleyes:

As much as I hate to say it and hope I'm wrong, there's bound to be a medal winning Scot who will whip out the union flag and get fucking dogs abuse on twitter etc. for it, it will then be all over the papers and so forth.

I don't think so ^^^

This isn't the Olympics where we celebrate success for all British athletes. They are representing team Scotland and should quite rightly whip out the Saltire or Lion Rampant

Whipping out a union flag would be like the Dutch winning the World Cup and celebrating by flying EU flags

As much as I hate to say it and hope I'm wrong, there's bound to be a medal winning Scot who will whip out the union flag and get fucking dogs abuse on twitter etc. for it, it will then be all over the papers and so forth.

Any Scottish athlete who whips out a union flag at this sensitive point in out history would deserve all the abuse they get to be honest. It would be a VERY stupid thing to do.

Any Scottish athlete who whips out a union flag at this sensitive point in out history would deserve all the abuse they get to be honest. It would be a VERY stupid thing to do.

Why would they?

they aren't representing Team GB or the UK?

I think an unsuccessful games could actually have some impact in bolstering the opinions of those who already intend to vote No.

I sometimes hear folk citing the expensive debacles of the Parliament building and the Edinburgh trams as examples of why "we cannae dae it" - as if no other countries had ever built white elephants at ruinous expense (Millenium Dome, anybody?).

However, since those folk already intended to vote No, and are prepared to give such weak reasons, they are obviously nailed-on No voters anyway, so the Games won't change their minds either way.

I don't think a successful games will really give Yes much of a bounce, and if the Yes campaign or Scottish Government are daft enough to think it will, hell mend them.

It's not looking too good so far.... :wub:

The-parade-uniform-for-Team-Scotland.jpg

That reminds me. Have any of you got my Alexander Brothers L P?

Hang on a minute.

Is this because they're representing team Scotland, or because of the referendum itself? And if the latter, would any Scottish athlete who whips out the saltire deserve abuse from cyberunionists?

Because there are idiots who use these things as an excuse to abuse people. If they are too stupid and not socially aware to realise this, then that's their problem.

So you'll have no issue with people like Reynard sending abuse to saltire waving athletes?

Anyone who abuses Scottish athletes for waving a saltire needs bitchslapped.

^^^ Ethnic Nationalist.

So you'll have no issue with people like Reynard sending abuse to saltire waving athletes?

Given they are representing Scotland at the games, it would be a special kind of idiot who abused them for waving the flag of the nation they are representing.

Any Scottish athlete at the commonwealths waving a Union flag is clearly making a political statement given the vote is happening this year and everyone knows about it. They are therefor making themselves a legitimate target for people to express opinions on them. If it was a Scots born athlete waving a saltire at the Olympics while representing GB, you could perhaps make a case for comparing the situations.

Archived