Prestwick Airport & Ryanair

O'Leary made noises when they suggested they remove Glasgow from the Airport's name. Perhaps it's just him being a c**t. .

I can understand where he's coming from actually. For example, when I was previously browsing Ryanair for destinations, if I just saw 'Skavsta' on the list then I wouldn't have known that was for Stockholm. However, When I saw it advertised it as Stockholm Skavsta, I though "mmm, that sounds good" and so we went. Probably no way I would have otherwise.

Very, very few outwith Scotland have ever heard of Prestwick. Millions, perhaps billions know of Glasgow.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very, very few outwith Scotland have ever heard of Prestwick. Millions, perhaps billions know of Glasgow.

I'd have stopped at "millions" there, myself.

A shame the way that Prestwick has gone (particularly since I can get a bus right there from Glasgow's leafy southside). The "Pure Dead Brilliant" idea was probably the worst marketing tagline ever, and the regular arrival of flights after the last public transport back to civilisation couldn't have helped. There's nothing like the choice of a night on the floor of a terminal building or a £50 taxi fare to make you think twice about using that airport again.

By Ryanair out-in-the-sticks-airports standards, it's not too badly out of the way (Stockholm, mentioned above, is much worse...but not as bad as Oslo Torp, which is probably nearer to Scotland than Oslo) and at least it does have a rail link.

Glasgow has definitely lost out to Edinburgh in recent years, so it's no surprise that they're trying to get more Ryanair flights, to the detriment of Prestwick. Given that Prestwick seems to be much less prone to closure that either Edinburgh and Glasgow, and it's where poor wee lost planes get sent when the bigger airports close, it will probably be kept open. Hopefully they manage to find someone else to come in with a decent clutch of destinations.

Now insults....what has got you so angry about Prestwick airport?

You seem to be rather obsessed with the thought that I'm angry .

Maybe its because you came away with a statement that was obviously so inaccurate, it's actually you who's angry with yourself

It's pretty grim news. But it's been here before. Where does it go. f**k knows. O'Leary made noises when they suggested they remove Glasgow from the Airport's name. Perhaps it's just him being a c**t. But tough times ahead for the airport. IIRC correctly it's twenty years this year since the first Ryanair flight. Although they aren't completely deserting the place it's still a major blow.

They've only cancelled one daily flight to Dublin.

By Ryanair out-in-the-sticks-airports standards, it's not too badly out of the way (Stockholm, mentioned above, is much worse...but not as bad as Oslo Torp, which is probably nearer to Scotland than Oslo) and at least it does have a rail link.

Some of the Ryanair destinations are amazing - a lot of them are disused military airfields literally in the middle of nowhere. Oslo (Torp) is a prime example - it's like calling an airport Glasgow (Inverness).

I've no idea what city Gothenburg City is near either. Definitely not Gothenburg though.

Booked flights to Warsaw from Prestwick for October, is there a good chance it will now be moved to Glasgow?

Very unlikely, even the Dublin flight that's switching to Glasgow is still flying from Prestwick until the end of October.

You seem to be rather obsessed with the thought that I'm angry .

Maybe its because you came away with a statement that was obviously so inaccurate, it's actually you who's angry with yourself

Not obsessed, maybe worried a bit for your mental health if someone posting something on an internet forum has got you so worked up....seek help

I don't think there is anything inaccurate about posting that Prestwick may or may not have the longest runway in the UK

"Paris" Beauvais is another one. Gothenburg city airport is actually closer to Gothenburg than the main airport there, but it is located on an island so you need to cross a bridge to reach the main city.

The most incredible of all though is the "Vienna" airport that Ryanair flies to, which is actually located in Bratislava, Slovakia :lol:

The most incredible of all though is the "Vienna" airport that Ryanair flies to, which is actually located in Bratislava, Slovakia :lol:

I've done that one. Quite glad about it though as Bratislava was a cracking place.

Aye but it is a myth it was the only place he went to in UK. He visited London in the 50s.

Anyway new routes to London, Poland, Ireland from Glasgow. Dublin service transferred entirely to Glasgow.

They took away the Rzerzow route which I was disappointed at. Prestwick Airport and Ryanair are alright but then again I'm seldom in airports.

Not obsessed, maybe worried a bit for your mental health if someone posting something on an internet forum has got you so worked up....seek help

I don't think there is anything inaccurate about posting that Prestwick may or may not have the longest runway in the UK

If you're finding some solace in continually thinking I'm upset, then so be it.

You may or may not have made a c**t of yourself in the original post ,but then again, "maybe" that's just my opinion

.........................................................................News Just In............ Arbroath may or may not be the capital of Scotland

Years ago 50's 60's when these decisions were being made instead of moving Renfrew Airport to Abbotsinch Prestwick should have been developed as the main hub for the West of Scotland. Proper transport links should have been put in to Glasgow. Not the half arsed links we are saddled with in this country Edinburgh trams, Glasgow fast link, A9, A75 etc.

That this didn't happen was no doubt down to intense lobbying by the then Glasgow Corporation.

However that was then and this is now. Glasgow has the infrastructure, air bridges, experience etc. Prestwick has a big bit of tarmac. There is no need for it. By all means keep the runway open as an emergency diversion area, but at minimal cost.

As for needing an airport for Ayrshire tourism :1eye I worked in Ayr for several years and the only time the area was busy with overseas tourists was on the rare occasions the Open was at Troon or Turnberry.

Ayr tourism is a bunch of Weegies, 2 bottles of vodka, 4 plastic cups and off down the beach. They might be flying right enough, but not in a way that needs an airport!

Throwing £ millions at this would be sheer folly!

Years ago 50's 60's when these decisions were being made instead of moving Renfrew Airport to Abbotsinch Prestwick should have been developed as the main hub for the West of Scotland. Proper transport links should have been put in to Glasgow. Not the half arsed links we are saddled with in this country Edinburgh trams, Glasgow fast link, A9, A75 etc.

That this didn't happen was no doubt down to intense lobbying by the then Glasgow Corporation.

However that was then and this is now. Glasgow has the infrastructure, air bridges, experience etc. Prestwick has a big bit of tarmac. There is no need for it. By all means keep the runway open as an emergency diversion area, but at minimal cost.

As for needing an airport for Ayrshire tourism :1eye I worked in Ayr for several years and the only time the area was busy with overseas tourists was on the rare occasions the Open was at Troon or Turnberry.

Ayr tourism is a bunch of Weegies, 2 bottles of vodka, 4 plastic cups and off down the beach. They might be flying right enough, but not in a way that needs an airport!

Throwing £ millions at this would be sheer folly!

Not sure why the should have developed Prestwick, why develop an airport 30 miles from your City Centre- even Heathrow is only 20miles from London.

Your comments on Ayrshire Tourism aren't far off though! Missed the inevitable ned riot on the beach! :lol:

Archived