The United States of Europe

United States of Europe  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the current news centring around Jean-Claude Juncker and several politicians being against him claiming that "he's too federalist", this has me thinking about the future politics of Europe and whether a federal 'U.S.E.' could genuinely be in the pipeline. What are your thoughts on the matter? Feabile prospect? Probable or not?

Additionally, this could obviously be a major (yet currently undiscussed) issue for Scottish independence as it would potentially lead to the situations of either i) Scotland finally becoming independent only to join the EU and quickly become a mere state in a country also (probably) containing the UK or ii) Scotland is a small nation on the edge of a world superpower without the links we're currently used to or think we would have as an independent nation.

Note: although this thread will probably link into the independence debate, it's not solely about that so should stay outside of that sub-forum imo.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drinks cognac for breakfast and smokes like a chimney, that Juncker. Some boi. Hopefully he'll get rid of the smoking ban in bars.

I hope no one ever does that.

I'd be open to the idea on the condition we get the cool car registration plate designs which the Americans have for the individual states. A pishy wee blue bit on the side with a some little letters just won't cut it.

Texas-plate.jpg

or...

ab51dvl.jpg:thumbsdown

All joking aside, they will eventually become one of the major forces in international football.

Whereas with a United States of Europe, would we just have one super-side or would we keep with the idea of having individual 'state' teams similar to the home nations within the UK? Pretty sure the European sides would suddenly drop their agenda against the home nations in that case.

If it was just one team then it would mean that few Scots would be playing international football so Forfar and Dunfermline wouldn't need to worry about having their games postponed for that any more. :rolleyes:

Theyv wanted this for long enough, call me a tin foil hat wearer but its all crept in bit by bit untill the spanner in the works with the constitution in 2005 when 2 countrys voted no, so what did they do? made the lisbon treaty which was basicaly the same thing and when ireland voted no against it (the only country to have a public vote) they said sorry, wrong answer try again paddy

On paper it's a fine idea, but the political, cultural and language barriers are too great for it to happen.

How does it work in places like India where there are hundreds of regional languages the length and breadth of the country (where I see there are only two official languages, Hindi and English)?

Would it effectively be the same here with e.g. English and French being the common ground and force-taught in all schools from Portugal to Eastern Europe? You could imagine the French having a huge hissy-fit if French wasn't included.

How does it work in places like India where there are hundreds of regional languages the length and breadth of the country (where I see there are only two official languages, Hindi and English)?

Would it effectively be the same here with e.g. English and French being the common ground and force-taught in all schools from Portugal to Eastern Europe? You could imagine the French having a huge hissy-fit if French wasn't included.

That's almost reason enough to want it.

That's almost reason enough to want it.

Indeed. I'm off to Canada again in Sept and not looking forward to the chip on Quebec's shoulder which is large enough to feed all of Scotland for a week.

It would be even better if the US of E adopted English and German - imagine the French indignation then?

More countries in Europe speak German anyway... I think (Germany, Switzerland & Austria vs France, Switzerland?)

More countries in Europe speak German anyway... I think (Germany, Switzerland & Austria vs France, Switzerland?)

German, English & Russian are the main languages taught in Eastern Europe too.

With the current news centring around Jean-Claude Juncker and several politicians being against him claiming that "he's too federalist", this has me thinking about the future politics of Europe and whether a federal 'U.S.E.' could genuinely be in the pipeline. What are your thoughts on the matter? Feabile prospect? Probable or not?h

Additionally, this could obviously be a major (yet currently undiscussed) issue for Scottish independence as it would potentially lead to the situations of either i) Scotland finally becoming independent only to join the EU and quickly become a mere state in a country also (probably) containing the UK or ii) Scotland is a small nation on the edge of a world superpower without the links we're currently used to or think we would have as an independent nation.

Note: although this thread will probably link into the independence debate, it's not solely about that so should stay outside of that sub-forum imo.

Even if your first scenario came to pass then Indy Scotland might enjoy the same level of representation in Europe as Ireland and Finland rather than being on a par with Malta and Luxembourg as we do currently.

Belgium and Luxembourg are both french speaking as well.

Switzerland shouldn't really be counted as its non-eu. (they would become one of those weird countries that are completely surrounded by one country.)

There's a large chunk, (about 60%), of Belgium that might disagree with you?

Archived