glasgow v edinurgh

Having grown up in Stirling, and then lived for quite a few years in both cities, I reckon I have a reasonable perspective.

For me, Glasgow wins, if only because there's so much more to do there. It does have its shitty areas, but unlike Edinburgh the reason you see them is that it doesn't shamefacedly hide them away solely on the peripheries, doing its utmost to pretend they don't exist. In any case, it sounds very much like many of the crappy areas of both cities are improving massively.

To me Glasgow feels like the only real "city" in Scotland. The rest are just big towns (and sometimes not so big). That doesn't make it better as such, but I think of it in an entirely different context.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody should ever be labelled that!!

I went in once at Christmas, seasonal jumper on as well and felt so out of place it was unreal, still it all ended good in the end. I'd tend to agree though, Edinburgh's clubs are at spectrum ends of each other, posh, fancy, nobbish ones. Or rank, sticky, but albeit a laugh at times. There's no real middle ground. Still there is a great variety of pubs if you're willing to search for them.

Anyone that does wear such a label on their sleeve is wanting decorated in VKs (any flavour is allowed). I went for only the second time about two months ago and totally agree on the spectrum.

I have to admit, I've been living in the city now for nearly four months and I still have no idea what I would classify as a 'bread and butter' night out in Edinburgh. The only place that seems to have made any impression on me of late is Bannermans on a Sunday afternoon when they do some cracking live music.

Anyone that does wear such a label on their sleeve is wanting decorated in VKs (any flavour is allowed). I went for only the second time about two months ago and totally agree on the spectrum.

I have to admit, I've been living in the city now for nearly four months and I still have no idea what I would classify as a 'bread and butter' night out in Edinburgh. The only place that seems to have made any impression on me of late is Bannermans on a Sunday afternoon when they do some cracking live music.

Aye Bannermans is always good for a bit of live entertainment. I've been going to the three sisters recently to watch the football on the massive screen, it's a shame that the union upstairs is closed as I'd usually get cheap drink there and wall down. If in doubt head to the grassmarket and stay well away from George street, unless it's the wetherspoons for a cheap meeting place. Well that's my mantra

Aye Bannermans is always good for a bit of live entertainment. I've been going to the three sisters recently to watch the football on the massive screen, it's a shame that the union upstairs is closed as I'd usually get cheap drink there and wall down. If in doubt head to the grassmarket and stay well away from George street, unless it's the wetherspoons for a cheap meeting place. Well that's my mantra

The Grassmarket has definitely become something of a hunting ground for me. On the odd day session, I've been getting fired into Salsa Bar when it's early (it would probably be one of my favourite boozers if wasn't so packed by that 'spectrum') as it's actually v.v.dece value for drinks.

Polish Vodka bar is also a cracking find that I recommend to everyone, and I'm not big on Vodka.

Why has there never been an Edinburgh pub crawl again?

The Grassmarket has definitely become something of a hunting ground for me. On the odd day session, I've been getting fired into Salsa Bar when it's early (it would probably be one of my favourite boozers if wasn't so packed by that 'spectrum') as it's actually v.v.dece value for drinks.

Polish Vodka bar is also a cracking find that I recommend to everyone, and I'm not big on Vodka.

Why has there never been an Edinburgh pub crawl again?

Yeah Salsa bar is pretty good. I agree I think an Edinburgh pub crawl would be good, there are various different options you can do as well.

^^^

'Why Not' Regular IMO.

muggy.png

Why Not, a question with so many obvious answers.

Having grown up in Stirling, and then lived for quite a few years in both cities, I reckon I have a reasonable perspective.

For me, Glasgow wins, if only because there's so much more to do there. It does have its shitty areas, but unlike Edinburgh the reason you see them is that it doesn't shamefacedly hide them away solely on the peripheries, doing its utmost to pretend they don't exist. In any case, it sounds very much like many of the crappy areas of both cities are improving massively.

To me Glasgow feels like the only real "city" in Scotland. The rest are just big towns (and sometimes not so big). That doesn't make it better as such, but I think of it in an entirely different context.

I'm not arguing with your preference for Glasgow, but I'm either not sure what you mean or in disagreement with your reasoning.

The bit about Edinburgh's poor areas being further out and less visible to those that don't live there is definitely true, but I don't think it's the cities fault and I can't see how they've been "hidden" out the way or people have tried to pretend they don't exist, I think that's just where they've ended up being (apart from Muirhouse which was a settlement for convicts, but there's no city council that would plonk that in the city centre). If anything I would call that a positive for Edinburgh: I personally like knowing about the good and bad parts of the city but on an aesthetic level it's no bad thing that you're unlikely to accidently wander in to Niddrie, Pilton, Royston etc, unlike Glasgow where I've ended up in some proper schemes late at night by accident.

The bit about Glasgow being a real city and Edinburgh by default not being one could refer to two criticisms Edinburgh gets, one of which I agree with and the other I don't. It's a real Scottish thing to say Edinburgh's a fake city because town is full of tartan shops and plastic tourist attractions, which is very true but not a fair portrayal of the city. Every city with lots of tourists is exactly the same, but it doesn't paint a picture of how real people live their lives there. Glasgow can afford to be more authentic as they have far fewer visitors to accomodate, but once you look at Edinburgh beyong a few streets they aren't that different in how genuine they are.

If on the other hand you meant Glasgow is more like a city because it feels busier, more lively etc then I completely agree. It's small things like how you can get a scran any hour of the day in Glasgow but everything shuts early in Edinburgh (apart from pubs which open later) that make Glasgow feel more like a big city than Edinburgh.

Ooft, ^^^ came out more of a trek than intended.

Anyway, as long as it's longer than a month from now so I'm in the country I'd be well up for an Edinburgh pub crawl.

Edinburgh burds seem choosier, fwiw

Probably because in general they're far better looking (and also not as orange) so can happily wait a bit longer without worry of being alone.

f**k all wrong with Dundee, its alot smaller so obviously doesnt have the same attractions but its no a bad wee place at all and has improved massively since ive grown up.

I go through to Glasgow all the time, seen different bits of it and I like it, plenty of things to do and plenty of places to eat/go out/drink, I have only ever really been through to Edinburgh for a few wee weekenders with the bird and I absolutely love the place looks wise although alot of the people seem pretty rude (well in the centre anyways, walking down Princes Street can resemble a Rugby game at times) although I realise that isnt a reflection of all the people there.

Why cant it just be a dead heat between the 2? Why choose a winner, they both have pros and cons and are both pretty good cities in their own way IMO.

Aberdeen is full of money hungry offshore c***s though of that there is no doubt, go out there and the general chit chat all seems to revolve around how much money people earn...

Ooft, ^^^ came out more of a trek than intended.

Anyway, as long as it's longer than a month from now so I'm in the country I'd be well up for an Edinburgh pub crawl.

Doing it around the Fringe might not be a bad shout with the pubs being open for a bit longer...

Probably because in general they're far better looking (and also not as orange) so can happily wait a bit longer without worry of being alone.

al tell you wan thing aboot wee bernadette oneil fae the gallowate , she is tanned but she is certainly no "orange" :o

#bantz

f**k all wrong with Dundee, its alot smaller so obviously doesnt have the same attractions but its no a bad wee place at all and has improved massively since ive grown up.

Aberdeen is full of money hungry offshore c***s though of that there is no doubt, go out there and the general chit chat all seems to revolve around how much money people earn...

First point I agree (I quite like Dundee). The second point is utter garbage though in my experience... although I suppose if you're out with a bunch of drillers who tend to be a bunch of whingey mercenaries trying to out-bloke one another then that may be the case.

What does this even mean? Do you expect Edinburgh City Council to shuffle the city like a deck of cards and suddenly put Pilton next to the Castle and Wester Hailes at the bottom of the Royal Mile?

The recycling of an old thread but nae foozbaal so no surprise.

I personally prefer Edinburgh, I lived there for 14 years but Glasgow is better for night clubs( and shopping*), I'm a bit old for that now but I was more than happy with the Edinburgh scene when I hit it as a pretty naïve 18 year old. There's a bit more to it though in some ways, I don't want to patronise but if you want to identify yourself as 'working class' you probably feel more akin to Glasgow, don't misunderstand me, I consider myself as working class (even though I'm probably not anymore) and this is a sweeping generalisation but I've met more people from outwith both cities, including boys from England who feel it important to define themselves as working class who prefer Glasgow for a lot of the stereotypical reasons.

Both cities have good points and bad points and Glasgow is defeneeeetly a bigger city so has the pro's and con's of being a big city. Edinburgh, for a wee city punches well above its weight in culture, it really does depend on what you personally look for.

* For all the boys mentioning shopping as a plus point, have a word with yourselves, shopping as a recreation is for burds !

Having worked in Edinburgh I definitely thought there was a bit of an elitist vibe for some reason.

Quite often you would hear people slagging off Glasgow and things about it but when working with weegies I never heard them mention Edinburgh once.

I tried to ask a few why they had such bad feelings towards it and none of them could give me a reason other than it was full of neds.

I reckon there's a deep rooted insecurity that says to me Glasgow is better and edinburgers are rattled.

Or that group could just be snobby c units?

Archived