Glasgow City Council Electoral Roll Shenanigans.

Broccoli Dog

Seeing letters such as these being posted on Twitter tonight.

svMzUFQ.jpg

Make sure you're on the voters roll, and don't get a nasty surprise in September.

You have until September 2nd to register.

https://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register_to_vote/electoral_registration_applica.aspx

And so the stitch up begins, with Labour unsurprisingly, leading the way just as they did in 79.

I'm not entirely sure what this is, but how can it be presented as a unionist conspiracy?

Lower demographic, more likely to have council tax debt (poll tax avoidance etc).

Oh wait what's that, lower demographic members of society more likely to vote Yes you say?

Those in council tax debt are disenfranchised? News to me.

Lets not jump to conclusions, but I wouldn't be surprised if students are involved here. They can be registered at multiple addresses and don't pay council tax. Obviously we will need to find out more about the situation but it seems more like the council doing its due dilligence than anything else.

dodgy political goings on in the west of Scotland;

What's that- the Pope is a Catholic and bears defecate in the woods you say.....?

I don't know if shitting bears and Frankie Boy are "Yes" voters though...

I'm not entirely sure what this is, but how can it be presented as a unionist conspiracy?

It may be (MAY) the beginnings of the disenfranchising of voters. Using CT records would be one way of profiling, with those who struggle to pay being seen as more likely to vote YES. Just my own little theory. Is it likely? Probably not but the Labour party do have previous for rigging referendums.

Alex Salmond claims to have been disenfranchised for the '79 referendum for a similar reason, being registered at parents while at uni in St. Andrews.

A common story. This of course meant that is actual vote of YES would have been cancelled out by his perceived vote of NO in another constituency.

A common story. This of course meant that is actual vote of YES would have been cancelled out by his perceived vote of NO in another constituency.

On a similar note, what happened regarding all the 16 & 17 year-olds on the register in '79?

Was anyone born after 1st March 1961 counted as voting no, or did someone go through the register & remove them from the final count?

I have my suspicions, but does anyone know for sure?

I really don't understand what the issue is here.

It has absolutely nothing to do with council tax debt. You are obliged by law to declare when you are ordinarily resident in premises separately both for the purposes of rendering you liable for council tax or for being placed on the Electoral Roll at your given address.

All adults, unless they are exempt by specific provision (e.g. students) are liable for the council tax levied upon a property by a local authority. If you live there and are not declared as living there for council tax purposes, a criminal offence has been committed.

Under the current laws concerning voter registration, it is a criminal offence to give inaccurate information to an electoral registration officer regarding who is ordinarily resident at your property that is or will soon become eligible to vote.

With the exception of a small number of people (students being the foremost example) virtually nobody will be ordinarily resident for council tax liability purposes who is not also ordinarily resident for the purposes of the electoral roll and vice versa. If, therefore, according to the records of, say, Glasgow City Council, you are not registered as living at an address for the purposes of council tax, but are on the electoral roll, and are not a student (I seem to recall there is a special form you have to fill in when registering to vote to validate multiple address registration), then one of the following applies:

1. You have recently moved away from the premises thus should no longer be registered to vote there.

In which case it is absolutely right that the Council should remove you from the electoral roll at that address.

2. You have failed to notify the Council that you are now ordinarily resident at those premises, thus have failed to disclose information you are lawfully required to disclose for the purposes of council tax and in doing so made it more difficult for them to identify you and hold you liable along with other eligible adults for the payment of council tax at that address.

In which case being removed from the electoral roll is the least of your problems because you have committed tax evasion.

3. You or someone else at that address has made a false declaration to an electoral registration officer. You do not in fact ordinarily reside at this address, and had no special reason to permit your registration there. You should not be eligible to vote at that address.

In which case the person who filled in your voter registration form has committed a criminal offence and you shouldn't be on the electoral register.

Why do people appear to be objecting to the electoral register being accurate?

Initial thoughts on seeing one on face book was that it was fake. Dear Sir/madam rather than personally addressed, dodgy cheap paper, no logo.

The name is correct, Hugh Munro is the Electoral Officer for Glasgow, the phone number is correct, but as Karen Dunbar says, I smell shite...

When I was a student I didn't pay council tax or my TV license. I once got fined for making too much noise when I was pished and I didn't pay that either.

f**k your rules.

When I was a student I didn't pay council tax or my TV license. I once got fined for making too much noise when I was pished and I didn't pay that either.

f**k your rules.

Full time students are exempt from council tax...

Archived