A letter in last night's English newspaper

Scottishyeltz

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My statement was simple, "Britain has been thoroughly conjoined since James the 6th". Tell me I am wrong.

You are wrong.

Pre-1603 and the union of the crowns, one parliament legislated for E & W, a separate parliament legislated for S

After 1707, one parliament legislated for E, S & W.

Accordingly, Britain was not thoroughly cojoined until 1707, when one parliament legislated for the whole island.

After that, a further complication was added by GB evolving into the UK of GB & Ireland, followed by part of Ireland choosing to leave, resulting in the current state of the UK of GB & NI.

I don't think that that particular state has celebrated a centenary of "Better Togetherness" yet

However, I would welcome your take on this....

I live in Britain. I have a stake in Britain. I think it is perfectly reasonable that I have an voting opinion on this constitutional change. The only chunts who will gainsay me are 1. the walloper wallpaper bloke and 2. the Nats who know they would lose. Every other sane person kens that Scottish independence has ramifications for the rest of The UK.

Oh and anyone talking about 'the right to self-determination' or somesuch is a fanny.

DO you want French, Germans, Italians, Spanish etc etc to have the vote on whether the UK leaves the EU?

If not, then you are a hypocrite.

I live in Britain. I have a stake in Britain. I think it is perfectly reasonable that I have an voting opinion on this constitutional change. The only chunts who will gainsay me are 1. the walloper wallpaper bloke and 2. the Nats who know they would lose. Every other sane person kens that Scottish independence has ramifications for the rest of The UK.

Oh and anyone talking about 'the right to self-determination' or somesuch is a fanny.

The French and Germans live in the EU. They have a stake in the EU. You must think it is perfectly reasonable that they have a voting opinion on this constitutional change. Every other sane person kens that the UK leaving the EU has ramifications for the rest of the EU.

DO you want French, Germans, Italians, Spanish etc etc to have the vote on whether the UK leaves the EU?

The French and Germans live in the EU. They have a stake in the EU. You must think it is perfectly reasonable that they have a voting opinion on this constitutional change. Every other sane person kens that the UK leaving the EU has ramifications for the rest of the EU.

I think Britain leaving the EU is as bonkers as Scotland leaving the union and O'd have no problem with it going to a wider vote.

I think Britain leaving the EU is as bonkers as Scotland leaving the union and O'd have no problem with it going to a wider vote.

But it's not going to, is it? Is the penny dropping here?

Given that this vote on Independence is supposed to lead to Scotland not being part of the EU, I suppose we should extend this vote further than the UK border anyway. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the impact on NATO, there is a dozen or so other countries that will need a vote.

So you don't mind so long as yuo think the vote will go your way?

Expat Scots voting on whether Scotland becomes independent is like the former owners of my house coming back now and again to tell me what colour wallpaper I must buy.

As for the rest of the UK having a vote in the referendum, that's like the UK's in/out referendum being opened up to France, Germany and all the other members of the EU.

It's a stupid argument, from stupid people.

Tying to make a correlation between, the UK/EU opt in/out debate and Scottish separation just doesn't work for me.

Britain voted just 40 years ago to become a member of a trading block. (personally I would prefer to remain in the EU, but whether that remains the case with the majority of the British electorate is immaterial here) it just doesn't compare with breaking 300 years of History, Culture and Kinship with our brothers and sisters in the rest of our Kingdom.

It isn't about the risks in pursuit of self determination for me or the arguments that counter that position, its a burning desire to remain a subject of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

The suggestion that those outwith Scotland should get a vote is a ludicrous one.

It's for those living here to decide, not ex pats chiming in from afar, like Rev. Stuart Campbell and those of that ilk.

The suggestion that those outwith Scotland should get a vote is a ludicrous one.

It's for those living here to decide, not ex pats chiming in from afar, like Rev. Stuart Campbell and those of that ilk.

Stuart Campbell, you weird obsessive, has never asked for, or claimed he should have a vote.

Stuart Campbell, you weird obsessive, has never asked for, or claimed he should have a vote.

Where did I say he had? Be very specific.

Britain voted just 40 years ago to become a member of a trading block. (personally I would prefer to remain in the EU, but whether that remains the case with the majority of the British electorate is immaterial here) it just doesn't compare with breaking 300 years of History, Culture and Kinship with our brothers and sisters in the rest of our Kingdom.

I left the UK almost 2 years ago. My life history and time in the UK still exists, as do my friends and family who live all across the UK. A Yes vote won't change any of that. This is a vote about the future, not the past.

Tying to make a correlation between, the UK/EU opt in/out debate and Scottish separation just doesn't work for me.

It isn't about the risks in pursuit of self determination for me or the arguments that counter that position, its a burning desire to remain a subject of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

A burning desire to remain a subject? How embarrassing.

Archived