Deduct points for defeat

Have thought about this...how about..

treat each half as seperate games

eg

Dundee v The Rangers last week

score 1-2  ht  1-2

rangers get 3(2 for winning first half and 1 for drawing second half) and Dundee get 1 for drawing second half,so it wasnt a complete waste for them.

Draws would always end up with both teams getting 2 points.

Also a team getting horsed 5-0 at half time would still have an incentve to "have a go" and try and win or draw the second half.

Also a bonus at full time for the winners of 1 point if they win by more than 1 goal.

Away for a couple of days with last seasons results to see if this made a difference,and await to be shot down in flames.

(or I might go to the pub).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Not sure I follow this exactly, but if you're suggesting 2 points for winning a half and 1 point for drawing a half then that sounds pretty decent.  So possible points from a game would be 4, 3, 2, 1, or 0...?

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 21:22, jmothecat said:

Anything which encourages draws and disincentivises teams to go for wins is surely a bad thing, no?

I don't think that a points system with 2 points for a win encourages draws any more than 3 points for a win does - if anything you'd expect wins to be more coveted than they are now, since there'd be fewer points available overall making each point earned more valuable.

At any rate, once the system's in place it's universal/the same for everyone, so to make any progress in the league teams would have to win regardless.

All the third point for a win does really is to make the league more baggy and appear less competitive. 

The psychological impact of 3 points for a win on 'the rest' in relation to the huge winning margins that the old firm built up in the SPL era has been significant and is chronic.

I have no idea if it WOULD work,but am keeping a league under this system,and up til last night Ross Co were top,a point ahead of Hearts and two ahead of Aberdeen and Rangers.After todays games,I will post an updated table,and intend to do so on a regular basis(every couple of weeks or so).

Will wait a wee while to see if it makes a difference.

Max points per game is 5 ..win both halves and finally win by over 1 goal.

^ I like that it's almost a double-header within one fixture, but not sure about it for the top tier since it could favour the ugly sisters a bit in the long run (especially that 5th point for winning by over one goal).

The point about our current point system is...why are we handing out an extra point per game to the best-resources teams, who will win the most games across the season regardless, when we could be making our leagues closer and more exciting, and so more involving for more supporters, by having a simple 2 points for a win..?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Up til sat              P    : won   drawn  lost   GF  GA  GD  Bonus  Pts
Celtic                 8           12      2        2     26    8    18       5    31
Hearts                9            7      9        2     16     7     9       4    27
Aberdeen            9            7      9        2     17     8      9      3    26
StJohnstone        9           8      6        4     12     8      4      2    24
Rangers              9           6       6        6     11    11     0      1   19
Hamilton             9           6       5        7     11    14    -3      0    17
Motherwell          9           5       5        8     11    14    -3      1    16
Ross Co             9           3       9        6      7    13     -6      1    16
Partick               8           4       5        7      9    13     -4      1    14
ICT                    9            4       6        8     12    17    -5       0   14
Dundee              9           1     12        5      8     14    -6       0    14
Kilmarnock         9           3      6         9      9     19 -10        0    12

slightly squint , but hey ho..

not much difference in placings,but,currently in the "proper" league there is a 16 point difference top to bottom.This is equivalent to potentialy six games to overtake that deficit.However,in the above example,the 12 point difference could be made up in only 4 games,so possibly tightened it up a bit.

I've produced a table based on the Rugby scoring system of 4 for a win, 2 for a draw and 0 for a defeat. Bonus point awarded for scoring 4+ in a game and a losing bonus point awarded for losing a game by a goal. There is actually very little difference to the table as it stands at the moment.

Celtic 39 (5 BP) (5/0)
Aberdeen 29 (3) (2/1)
St Johnstone 28 (2) (0/2)
Hearts 27 (3) (1/2)
Rangers 25 (1) (0/1)
ICT 22 (2) (0/2)
Killie (21) (1) (0/1)
Hamilton 19 (1) (0/1)
Partick 18 (2) (0/2)
Motherwell 17 (3) (1/2)
Ross Co 17 (1) (0/1)
Dundee 13 (3) (0/3)

Numbers in Brackets represent bonus points, 2nd brackets the split between scoring bonus points and losing bonus points. Aberdeen are 10 points behind in this table and 7 in the normal table (2 wins and a draw in both set up's) and Dundee are 4 behind in this one and 3 behind in the normal table, one win.

So it looks like I have just wasted half an hour of my time looking this up but I'll update as the season goes on.

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated my table in a while but here is how it would look now

Celtic 56 (6/0)

Aberdeen 44 (3/3)

Hearts 43 (1/2)

Rangers 43 (0/1)

St J 35 (0/3)

Hamilton 28 (0/2)

Ross Co 28 (1/1)

Kilmarnock 28 (0/2)

Motherwell 27 (2/3)

Partick 26 (0/4)

Dundee 26 (0/4)

ICT 25 (0/3)

• 1 month later...

Latest Rugby Bonus Point Type System Table Update

Celtic 103 (9/0)

Aberdeen 68 (3/5)

Rangers 64 (0/2)

Hearts 61 (3/4)

St Johnstone 54 (0/4)

Partick 42 (0/6)

Ross Co 42 (1/3)

Hamilton 41 (0/5)

Motherwell 41 (2/3)

Kilmarnock 41 (0/3)

Dundee 39 (0/5)

Inverness CT 36 (0/6)

On 7/26/2016 at 11:47, RabidAl said:

The league cup bonus point is an interesting addition since it does give the weaker teams a chance to accrue more points than the current 3/1/0 system used in the league, but the extra point isn't earned and it is a bit gimmicky...

...the league should go back to plain, steady 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw, and 0 for a defeat - which would balance the rewards for the outcome of a match more fairly. 

Since teams that are significantly better will win anyway, it's not necessary to offer them any additional incentive by awarding them an extra point for a win.  It simply exaggerates their advantage in the league table unnecessarily. 

With the 3/1/0 system, much of the focus seems to be on avoiding 'dropping points' by losing or even by drawing1; with the 2/1/0 system a draw is more fairly rewarded, becomes a better result, and the focus moves to building unbeaten runs2

By going back to 2 points for a win, and taking off any added pressure to achieve a win, there would be less of a frenzy to achieve a win than at the moment (when even a draw is usually seen as a bad result).  This might create a bit more breathing space for teams to develop players and to develop more attractive styles of play.  It would also give tighter, more compact league tables that should add to the competitiveness of the leagues.

Clearly, part of what I'm about here is to find a legitimate and fair way to rein in the old firm, lest we are in for a further twenty-odd years of 20+ point, SPL-era winning margins.

1A draw means dropping 67% of points available to a team for a match at present; this would only be a 50% drop in a 2/1/0 system, making not winning less of a disaster.

2A further 33% of points are dropped with defeat in the current system, so drawing isn't much better than a defeat; a further 50% of points are dropped in the 2/1/0 system, making not losing more important. 

I'd have 10 points for a win, and one for a draw.  Sod teams playing for a draw.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Table based on 4 points for a win, 2 for a draw, 0 for a defeat. BP for scoring 4+ and BP for losing by 1 goal is as follows

Celtic 127 11/0

Aberdeen 95 5/6

Rangers 79 1/4

Hearts 69 4/5

Saints 68 0/6

Partick 62 0/6

Killie 57 0/5

Dundee 52 1/7

Ross Co 52 1/7

Hamilton 49 0/5

Motherwell 49 2/5

ICT 48 0/6

Celtic not quite champions then, still needing 9 points to mathematically seal the title

Archived