Heart of Midlothian 2014-

If I’m reading London Hearts correctly Lafferty on 17 is already the top scoring Hearts Striker since Mark De Vries and needs only one more goal to go past him and join midfielders Hartley(05-06) and Skacel(11-12) on 18

He could conceivably hit 21 equalling Jim Hamilton (1997-98) and John Robertson (1996-97)

58 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If I’m reading London Hearts correctly Lafferty on 17 is already the top scoring Hearts Striker since Mark De Vries and needs only one more goal to go past him and join midfielders Hartley(05-06) and Skacel(11-12) on 18

He could conceivably hit 21 equalling Jim Hamilton (1997-98) and John Robertson (1996-97)

He's been our best striker for years.

Maclean's interview above is quite revealing. He'll make himself available for the games on astro - he always says before the games away to Killie and Hamilton that he wants to play - it's up to the manager to protect him. There's every chance he'll pick up a serious injury if he plays, so I hope Levein doesn't listen to him and keeps him away from the squad for those games.

Maclean's interview above is quite revealing. He'll make himself available for the games on astro - he always says before the games away to Killie and Hamilton that he wants to play - it's up to the manager to protect him. There's every chance he'll pick up a serious injury if he plays, so I hope Levein doesn't listen to him and keeps him away from the squad for those games.

To be fair he played on the surface against Trakai, but for the short period of time he was on, I’m not convinced he looked comfortable on it. I know he’s never been the most mobile or quick, but watching him, it looked like he wasn’t convinced he wouldn’t injure himself.

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 07:31, Dominique Malonga said:

Listen fella, Hibs fans may or may not(I don’t think the lyrics to those songs have been properly made out and I think it sounds more offensive than it is)

QLFMjQU.jpg

I am very confused as to why Hearts would sign Steven Maclean, especially on a two year deal.  Not that I have anything against the guy but he's clearly lost a couple of steps since last season so it genuinely comes as a surprise that any Premiership team would pick him up.  I would have expected him to end up at a place like Queen of the South who have a habit of employing veteran strikers like him.

11 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I am very confused as to why Hearts would sign Steven Maclean, especially on a two year deal.  Not that I have anything against the guy but he's clearly lost a couple of steps since last season so it genuinely comes as a surprise that any Premiership team would pick him up.  I would have expected him to end up at a place like Queen of the South who have a habit of employing veteran strikers like him.

Experience. He's a leader who's taught a lot of our strikers a lot. 

Here's a stattos take.. 

https://therangersreport.com/2018/04/16/rate-my-transfer-steven-maclean-to-hearts/

If Maclean comes in and scores 4 or 5 goals, that could be the difference between Hearts finishing 9th instead of 10th.

Worthwhile signing imo.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Experience. He's a leader who's taught a lot of our strikers a lot. 

I've heard similar comments recently from Saints fans.

MacLean's an intelligent player who can (or could) bring out the best in some strike partners  (though even May was excelling at other clubs beforehand). But has he really taught 'a lot' of our strikers,  beyond passing on tips and advice? I haven't seen a conveyor belt of striking talent at our club and it's not as if his strike partners have gone on to excel elsewhere.

What makes his experience any more valuable than what Hearts can already offer from Naismith, Lafferty or Daly? I don't see it.

40 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I've heard similar comments recently from Saints fans.

MacLean's an intelligent player who can (or could) bring out the best in some strike partners  (though even May was excelling at other clubs beforehand). But has he really taught 'a lot' of our strikers,  beyond passing on tips and advice? I haven't seen a conveyor belt of striking talent at our club and it's not as if his strike partners have gone on to excel elsewhere.

What makes his experience any more valuable than what Hearts can already offer from Naismith, Lafferty or Daly? I don't see it.

He's taught Kane how to use his body despite being physically smaller than centre halves. He taught May similar. 

He's a different style of striker to Lafferty/Naismith. 

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I am very confused as to why Hearts would sign Steven Maclean, especially on a two year deal.

Just take a step backwards and think about it. This is Craig Levein, we're talking about - a self-made master of mindgames. A few weeks back, you guys were forever bigging up his Svengali-like masterstrokes, like the initially-successful 'Natural Order' bait, and the phantom injuries-that-never-were before the last derby. Hitting the Czechs with a surprise 4-6-0 strategy that they'd never in a million years expect. Instigating injury time dugout confrontations with opposing players to waste time. You all know what Levein's about by now.

Craig Levein isn't signing Maclean for his football. He's signing Maclean to send a signal. It's his thing. And what signal would Hearts send by signing up a geriatric striker in his twilight years, probably for bobbins?

Simple: don't expect too much from Hearts next season.

Craig's talking right at you guys with this one. Hearts are doing next season on the cheap, and he's managing expectations appropriately. I'm guessing that if he goes all out for a 'we're going to get a Europe spot or a cup win next season', sign up some flashy superstar from Bundesliga.2 or the English League One and barely scrape top 6 again, you guys will whinge about stagnation, and next year's season ticket sales will plummet. Look where the inflated expectations of the Sevco fans are getting them? Every OF match, they're demanding the heads of Graeme Murty and Dave King for not beating the team that's only lost two league games in two years. The board are being pulled into risky financial behaviour and pawning their facilities to payday lenders to gamble on actually playing some European football just to keep their heads afloat. And that's so that those overentitled fans can feel like winners again like the old glory days to keep them buying those sweet, sweet, season tickets. Rangers are being squeezed on the pitch, in the stands, in the courts, and in the shareholders meetings. Nobody in Scottish football wants to be The Rangers right now. Not even poor oul' Brechin would swap places. Dave King's hedge fund is a riskier investment than the Glebe Park hedge, which at least provides a guaranteed income from the occasional curious football tourist.

Budge is obviously smart enough not to go down the Sevco route, and Hearts are sticking within their means, even if that means the football will be decidedly mediocre in the near future. Perhaps they know there's trouble brewing, like those anonymous multimillion donations are starting to dry up - or perhaps Craig is lining up a proper signing later on in the year so you at least get a small frisson of excitement at some point. Either way, Craig knows his limits and he's priming you to avoid massive disappointment. Steady income, straightforward, mid-table football, low-profile signings, or better still, 15-year olds on work experience, season ticket sales down by only 10% or so over two years, etc, etc. Keep the business ticking over until next year, when maybe something will turn up. Last thing Hearts needs is a full stadium of hyper-excited fans in August drifting away before the winter break and swearing off ST renewals altogether.

Besides, Maclean has form for going apeshit after scoring goals versus Hibs. Having him do that again, or, in the alternative, crippling Kamberi or Ambrose with a horror-tackle, will have you guys amused and gleefully posting gifs all over Kickback like nobody's business. Craig Levein knows how much the fans lap that stuff up. No need for spectacular results if he can keep you distracted and happy for a wee while. This is the entertainment business, after all. Meanwhile, your team is in safe, solid hands, with no chance of administration or relegation.

Relax, guys. You should respect the mindgames of the most devious man in Scottish Premiership football. Craig knows what he's doing with this signing.

2 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

That's a lot of words to say "I didn't like him bamming me up"

Said bamming provided all of Scottish football, particularly Hibs, with the biggest laugh it's had so far this year, so your analysis might be a wee-bit off...