Heart of Midlothian 2014-

The club were sectarian merely because they were founded by a couple of priests? I'd be interested in your "literal" interpretation of what sectarianism is.

Some variant on

“Denoting, concerning or pertaining to a sect.”

Obviously

As I say you’re free to use whatever definition makes you feel better

57 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Some variant on

“Denoting, concerning or pertaining to a sect.”

Obviously

As I say you’re free to use whatever definition makes you feel better

So Hearts were set up as a sectarian club with respect to having to be a member of a dancehall... 

In Scottish terms sectarian has become synonymous with religion. But anything which excludes others could be considered sectarian. 

So Hearts were set up as a sectarian club with respect to having to be a member of a dancehall... 
In Scottish terms sectarian has become synonymous with religion. But anything which excludes others could be considered sectarian. 

A dance hall is a very imaginative interpretation of the word "sect".

But As I say, whatever makes you feel better

32 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

A dance hall is a very imaginative interpretation of the word "sect".

But As I say, whatever makes you feel better

People that have chosen to be a member of something are by definition a sect. 

It doesn't make me feel better at all. I'm very happy my club exists, and I'm actually reasonably proud that the reason why it was founded was because the people it was founded for were excluded from large parts of society. Totally aware that's nothing like as good an origin story as some VLs from a dancehall forming a club obviously. 

12 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

The club were sectarian merely because they were founded by a couple of priests? I'd be interested in your "literal" interpretation of what sectarianism is.

No they were sectarian because you couldn't play for them if you weren't Catholic. 

I'm not denying there was discrimination against Catholics at that time.

I'm equally unconvinced creating your own exclusive wee club was the most effective way of dealing with that.

11 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Hearts were set up by people who frequented a dance hall.

They didn't exclude those who went to other halls though. 

7 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

No they were sectarian because you couldn't play for them if you weren't Catholic. 

Actually, that’s not even true at all. Protestants refused to play for the club because they refused to play along side Catholics. They were never officially forbidden from doing so.

1 minute ago, BawWatchin said:

Actually, that’s not even true at all. Protestants refused to play for the club because they refused to play along side Catholics. They were never officially forbidden from doing so.

What, not a single Protestant wanted to play with them?

8 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

It is true.

Your suggestion that not a single Protestant would play with these nasty Catholics, despite them being welcome, is ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

What, not a single Protestant wanted to play with them?

It is true.

Your suggestion that not a single Protestant would play with these nasty Catholics, despite them being welcome, is ridiculous. 

You obviously know very little about the way things were back then. Even Protestants who wanted to play for our club wouldn’t out of the fear of being singled out or accused of being a traitor to the crown.

15 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

You obviously know very little about the way things were back then. Even Protestants who wanted to play for our club wouldn’t out of the fear of being singled out or accused of being a traitor to the crown.

Pish. It doesn't get round the fact to play for the original Hibernian team you had to be a practicing Catholic. 

11 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Right, f**k up shit c***s, nobody shall ruin Beattie day. Happy Anniversary lads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17649430

Almost as good as the final.

Might be my favourite game as a hearts fan. I remember waiting at the station at Queens Park afterwards. Some middle aged biddy sees my scarf and saunters up to me with a grin -

'What was the score then son?'

'2 - 1 Hearts.' 

'2 - 1 Celtic?'

'No, 2 - 1 to Hearts.'

She stood there nodding for a moment as the grin slowly transformed to a grimace then she dondered off head bowed.  Great memories. 

53 minutes ago, topsider said:

Who. Gives. A. Flying. f**k?

I've actually found it quite interesting. Just shows you how fucking mental things surrounding religion were back then. 

It's great to see how far Scottish society has progressed over the past 100+ years...

unnamed (26).gif