Heart of Midlothian 2014-

7 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Aren’t you the sensitive one, I’m not trying to point score at all 

Are we allowed to discuss the Goncalves story or are you going to windmill away about point scoring?

You could address it in a proper manner then if you want a serious discussion surely?

I have never heard anything specifically racist aimed at Goncalves, but I've heard plenty other racist stuff over the years so  I have no doubts whatsoever that he's been subject to some unpleasant stuff, which is incredibly sad and shameful.  He says himself it's a minority, but it's a minority that badly need to be stamped out.  Racism is still a blight on our society and unfortunately there seems to be a number of Hearts fans already dismissing it as sour grapes from Isma and accusing him of lying or being confused with abuse for not playing well.  But for me that doesn't ring true, he already separately raises the issue of the general abuse he took in the interview, and what would he have to gain by lying?  He's already away.

There needs to be a zero tolerance approach to this type of abuse, the problem is it'll rely on fans reporting it which for numerous reasons I think people are reluctant to do.  I myself have challenged numerous comments over the years and rather than being embarrassed or shamed by it the culprits tend to act even more aggressively back to anyone saying anything. 

I'd also like to say I doubt this is just a Hearts problem,  every set of supporters have idiots in it and it needs to start being eradicated properly once and for all.

I certainly never heard nor seen any racist abuse of Isma. I think he got more than his fair share of criticism but that, I felt, was down him being very frustrating to watch - sometimes brilliant, sometimes shite.
However, if it happened I wouldn’t be overly surprised. Would anyone be surprised to find out racism was ongoing in 2018? It’d be wrong but unfortunately not surprising.

5 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I certainly never heard nor seen any racist abuse of Isma. I think he got more than his fair share of criticism but that, I felt, was down him being very frustrating to watch - sometimes brilliant, sometimes shite.
However, if it happened I wouldn’t be overly surprised. Would anyone be surprised to find out racism was ongoing in 2018? It’d be wrong but unfortunately not surprising.

I think most of the abuse stemmed from him being an incredibly frustrating player but that doesn't excuse people around me calling him a "useless, black b*****d".

On the plus side, at least there aren't any racists in Uzbekistan.

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

I think most of the abuse stemmed from him being an incredibly frustrating player but that doesn't excuse people around me calling him a "useless, black b*****d".

That's it for me. Abuse him for being shite all you want, though I've still never actually understood slaughtering your own players, but there's a line you don't cross.  And having heard racist stuff before I genuinely don't doubt there are fans who've crossed that line.  

No excuse for racist language no matter how frustrating the player is and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me that in a crowd of on average about 16,000 there will be a minority of dinosaurs. Isma did seem to get a lot more stick than most, i think there is a general frustration amongst the support for seemingly Hearts being unable to sign a striker like Isma who is consistent. 

Edited by Raphael

Reading comments to the articles on Twitter and forums were quite cringeworthy. The type of fan that says "I've never heard of it therefore it never happened" is an idiot. You'd have to be incredibly naive to believe that element doesn't exist. I'd also be willing to alledge that there's a 50/50 chance they are either the type of person carrying out said racism, or too much of a shitebag to confront and call out the git spouting it.

If Goncalves felt this way about it and talked up his support network, I wish he had approached the club and given us the chance to show that we were behind him on the matter and make a better effort to stamp it out.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

Just now, Cumdog35 said:

15,000 of them are quite happy to sing "f**k the pope" and about being up to their knees in ****** blood so this is not a surprise.

The only thing true in that sentence is that it is no surprise that we have racists within our support.   

Not sure how you eradicate it from Scottish Football.  

Really sad in 2018 this crap is still going on.  We need to instill a culture where fellow fans en masse stand up and point out the neanderthals when they hear this shite. I fear we're still a few years away from that as many of the older generation in particular, in my experience, are still stuck in their 1960/70s way of thinking and don't see it as a problem.

Yeah, I totally agree. If you think he’s shite, just call him shite - no need nor reason to bring race in to it.
It’s a sad state of affairs that this has gone on.

Racism from the stands has been heard from time to time ever since I can remember going to games. Unfortunately, it's no surprise at all.

Hearts should do everything possible to root out as much of it as we can, obviously, but it's a wider societal issue, regardless of football club.

56 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Racism from the stands has been heard from time to time ever since I can remember going to games. Unfortunately, it's no surprise at all.

Hearts should do everything possible to root out as much of it as we can, obviously, but it's a wider societal issue, regardless of football club.

I'm not sure if the police do enough?

About 10 years ago on the train home from Pittodrie l was unfortunate enough to suffer the journey with half a dozen union jack waving neo-nazis. There was a black guy on the train and they were chanting  "No black in the union jack"

I reported it to the cops on the train and they seemed to do bugger all about it? They might have handled it once they were off the train. Dont know.

The problem requires fans to report these individuals and the law (and the clubs) to take strong action.

Edited by Neiljb

2 hours ago, Dominique Malonga said:

I don’t think he’s the first and he certainly won’t be the last player forced out of Hearts due to Racism.

Hate to say it, but you've got a point there Dom. Compare and contrast this incident with Cole Stockton, who 'blacks up' and, after a few winks and nudges from Levein and Budge, makes a few more starts for the first team, earning himself a big time move to Carlisle just a few weeks later. When the PLAYERS know that they can get away with such bigoted antics, the fans will inevitably feel emboldened enough to start shouting their bile.

Hate to say it, but you've got a point there Dom. Compare and contrast this incident with Cole Stockton, who 'blacks up' and, after a few winks and nudges from Levein and Budge, makes a few more starts for the first team, earning himself a big time move to Carlisle just a few weeks later. When the PLAYERS know that they can get away with such bigoted antics, the fans will inevitably feel emboldened enough to start shouting their bile.

Not really sure this is the time or place, m8.

Good for you Hearts.  Good for you Hearts.  Well someone had the guts to stand up to them at last.  Coming over here and taking our jobs and our women and acting like they own the fecking place.  Well done Hearts.  Good for you.  Good for you.