Heart of Midlothian 2014-

3 minutes ago, Hey! Ho! Jambo! said:

He isn't happy with that. 

It's not going well obviously but we should stick with him. There's no point in giving a young guy with potential whose in his first top job half a season to come good. We are in no danger of relegation so, although we are pish just now, I will lump it until the end of the season.

He'll be learning a lot, Cathro and MacPhee aren't daft. If they get recruitment right (big if granted) and with a pre-season I think we'll be a side worth watching next season. I've seen glimpses of the football I want to see so I'm happy to allow the time for him to get it right.

He's had a few hurdles too. The squad he was left wasn't great IMO. Neilson did get more out of it however we were crap to watch then too. I don't remember many voices of complaint when he bravely ripped the squad up in January. The six month wonders don't give a f**k and I think added to Levein undermining him he's struggling to get the player's to buy into what he's about. Then factor in Funk getting injured. I wonder how Neilson's first half of the season would look without him bailing us out?

Judge him next season, if it's not working as we approach the winter he should be emptied and Mr Levein along with him. I really can't be fucked with the arrogant setup we have here but as he and it aren't going anywhere we need to accept it will take longer than half a season to work.

He is not a manager and never will be, After getting a mauling of Celtic he announced we competed with them well ?  Then the crazy If we played without goalposts we are as good as anyone?? 

He probably agreed with Levein on the night he played without a striker on the park also. 

Actually the statement about the goalposts should be enough to get him a move to the local nut house.

We sold out on the first day of the season in Perth in our relegation season so what do you mean?
Laugh at the shite team all you want but a St Johnstone fan can never mock another support. 

Don't think he's having a dig, he's just making the point that on the road to relegation the fans came out in support but last night after a series of bad results hardly anyone turned up.

It was genuinely the worst Hearts away support I've seen at McDiarmid.

55 minutes ago, Hey! Ho! Jambo! said:

It's not going well obviously but we should stick with him. There's no point in giving a young guy with potential whose in his first top job half a season to come good. We are in no danger of relegation so, although we are pish just now, I will lump it until the end of the season.

He'll be learning a lot, Cathro and MacPhee aren't daft. If they get recruitment right (big if granted) and with a pre-season I think we'll be a side worth watching next season. I've seen glimpses of the football I want to see so I'm happy to allow the time for him to get it right.

He's had a few hurdles too. The squad he was left wasn't great IMO. Neilson did get more out of it however we were crap to watch then too. I don't remember many voices of complaint when he bravely ripped the squad up in January. The six month wonders don't give a f**k and I think added to Levein undermining him he's struggling to get the player's to buy into what he's about. Then factor in Funk getting injured. I wonder how Neilson's first half of the season would look without him bailing us out?

Judge him next season, if it's not working as we approach the winter he should be emptied and Mr Levein along with him. I really can't be fucked with the arrogant setup we have here but as he and it aren't going anywhere we need to accept it will take longer than half a season to work.

Good grief. :o

15 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Don't think he's having a dig, he's just making the point that on the road to relegation the fans came out in support but last night after a series of bad results hardly anyone turned up.

It was genuinely the worst Hearts away support I've seen at McDiarmid.

Surely we've taken less than a thousand there before?

Edited by Elixir

9 hours ago, Mr Romanov said:

We sold out on the first day of the season in Perth in our relegation season so what do you mean?

Laugh at the shite team all you want but a St Johnstone fan can never mock another support. 

Don't think many Saints fans mock another team's support, and I don't think that's what he was doing. I think the point being made was that the drop in away support is as clear a reflection as you could want of how disillusioned Hearts fans are. That sort of thing will have to be noticed by the board.

I wasn't having a go, just an observation. In terms of numbers it's the smallest I could personally remember seeing, and in terms of noise it was the quietest. Shows how disillusioned the fans are I imagine.

How many more signings does he need?? He's signed nine players hasn't he on lengthy contracts??

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How many more signings does he need?? He's signed nine players hasn't he on lengthy contracts??

Yes he's signed 9 players.  No they are not on lengthy contracts.  7 are til the end of the season.

Probably, but I'm too young to remember the previous Saints top flight era.

Which suggests that you're also too young to remember our only other midweek league fixture at Mcdiarmid Park

January 2nd 2002. Saint Johnstone 0-2 Hearts.

There's plenty of things to worry about at Tynecastle but not dragging enough people up the M9 on a school night is unlikely to be high on anyone's list

It's just a horrible state of apathy. I thought it was time with Neilson when he left. He could feel that fans were losing patience with him and I still remember feeling subdued even in the month up to him leaving, but nothing like this.

I went into the Celtic game knowing we'd lose. At the worst, I'd always have just that "so you're telling me there's a chance" bit of belief, but Sunday met me with the sheer and utter conviction that we'd have our taints handed to us while refusing to let myself get carried away for the first 20 minutes. (-3 @ 7s btw)

It's quickly 'sack Cathro' or 'sack Levein' or 'Phoodle out' because we seem to have this utterly stubborn fixation that a change of manager is always a quick fix to a far more complicated solution to matters on the park and f**k you if you disagree. We are terrible, but we put ourselves into this position and we just need to accept and get the season done. 

He came in a very highly rated coach, which I don't remember had too much resistance and I guess it comes down to whether we think that with all that pedigree he's seeing what we're seeing and that we can rebuild with him in charge. Asking stupid questions like has it been a success like it's definitive up this point and that's it won't get us anywhere. 

If we're going to do change coach (and I would rather give him the full year in any case), doing it before the summer would probably be the time with the squad likely to be gutted and rebuilt again. I'd hate giving c***s like Boyd and fuckwits like Spiers who doesn't understand a director of football's role (even though he's a fucking football journalist) creedance that our appointment was doomed from the start.

I think Cathro needs to stop doing interviews anyway, get him trained up on them or as the open letter in the terrace podcast said, get him across to Kirkaldy to learn a soundbite or two from Yogi. Those are just making it worse. Even then, it just feels like the media have targetted their pagan sacrifice and they'll stop at nothing now until they've shoved him into the equivalent wicker man of scottish football management and burned him to restore their old Rangers are good again, no moar armageddon. two-way title race, jobby production.

I do think that Levein needs to come out and say something, if not for his own good because if Cathro goes and the next appointment is a failure the vultures will circle. I have no problem with his appointment of Cathro as I feel most of our support were willing to give him a shot. Neilson for the most part was a success even in spite of the cup bottling against Hibs. 

I have no problem with the way our youth system is now being ran. Eight players got signed on FT contracts, with it looking likely we'll add another 6 next season. Four of which were part of Scotland schoolboys with Celtic and clubs down south in particular sniffing over Chris Hamilton and Marc Leonard. Some of these lads are starting to play in the u20s regularly now instead of keeping them in the u17s. Most of that is down to Levein's hard work in the youth structure even if it feels like his focusing hard on the youth development has caused him to let the recruitment slide. That doesn't excuse him however of going from Twitter to hiding behind silence. Maybe he thinks that he doesn't have to answer to us, but it does makes things worse by saying nothing at all causes us to fill the silence with more disgruntlement.

Either way, we just can't recruit the same way again. The first season in the championship we signed players that knew the scottish game and were proven at that level at the very least. Gomis, Buaben, Keatings even, Eckersley, Alexander to name a couple. The next season, we didn't sign any that could that had experience in the british game at Premiership level other than Cowie (who I believe according to the website 'backpass rule', is the highest rated for expected goals and assists in the league) and only Sammon who was below what we needed to kick on from third.

I have no problem with recruiting aboard and looking for value, (some of our best teams have been foreigner rife) but it definitely feels like a scattergun approach. Kilmarnock might have been able to pull it off to an extent because again, it was with players that have played the british game at a SPFL premiership level. 

I do feel like our recruitment narrative as come at a cost. We brought in players with a mentality to selling them on. It's clearly filtered into our youth players with Nicholson , Paterson and now Walker apparently wanting out. It's why I'm pissed that solid players like Rossi left. Granted we got cash for him, but he wanted to leave because we weren't coming forward with offering him an extension. You even see Djoum in the papers actively coming out and saying he wants to go down south this summer. It doesn't give a good reflection to the rest of the squad of going about achieving something if they all want to f**k off into the sunset the first chance they get.

Just look at the top 6 teams with the exception of ourselves and Rangers. Celtic have had a solid squad now. Aberdeen have McGinn about to leave but he's earned it. St. Johnstone and Partick have starting elevens that are fairly settled and beat anyone outside Celtic on their day. Even Hibs have a fairly settled 11 that have been together for a couple of years now that can all now kick the shit out of us when we play them. I can probably see why 'shree year deals' are given because of it, but quick fixes like the seven on six month deals doesn't help either. Somewhere along where everyone else is keeping contracts shouldn't be a bad place to start?

Neilson's sides could do the bread and butter, but he could only occasionally get his sides to step up when it mattered. It's madness that we've feel so far behind in that respect. That's what we should be striving for, with the youth recruitment. I'm not saying that Cathro and Levein don't have some culpability to matters on the park right now, but sacking them doesn't guarantee that the next one in line won't be shit either. I think it's pretty clear that Levein will still be director as long as Budge is in charge but I do think a coach with a bit more experience would be the way to go if Cathro doesn't work out. Cathro needs to do something though and fast because it isn't looking good.

Anyway TL;DR, <<< defintiely not bothered etc etc 

Edited by the jambo-rocker

Cheers for that massive post Jambo rocker, perfect for passing the time during my afternoon jobby in work.

What is it with you Hearts fans?! You're starting to come across like Rangers fans lately. You've come from administration to battering Hibs and Rangers in the Championship and then finished 3rd in the Premiership and still some of you wanted rid of Neilson. You have a chairperson in Ann Budge who is a breath of fresh air for Scottish football, a new stand going up, some excellent youth prospects and a young manager with potential whom most of you were happy to appoint.

Rome wasn't built in a day fellas, you're behind 3 teams with bigger budgets than you and a very solid settled St Johnstone side. Considering where you were a couple of years ago I think you're doing as well as can be expected. Give it time, let the plans of the club come into fruition and have a bit of patience ffs