Dundee United 2014/15 Season

Time to get optimistic about next season, he said.

Sort out the central defence, get in a good pacy striking option as an alternative to Ciftci up front, hold onto key players. Of those key players, I can easily see Robertson and Armstrong not being here for the start of the new season.

Another top 6 finish at minimum, hopefully pushing for 2nd and 3rd place.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! Pure buzzing for next season! :thumsup2

I don't want to think about players leaving us who will be targeted by other clubs. Armstrong and Robertson (possibly GMS?) are pretty likely to go, Robertson has had so much exposure this year in particular. Souttar and Gauld have been so shit in the last six months then I doubt they will be gone, and Ciftci is so temperamental and inconsistent that I can see him being with us for a while yet.

As an outsider I don't see that you need much in the way of new players, but McNamara needs to learn how to change it when he runs up against teams who suss them out. It was his his problem at Thistle. I thought with the superior quality at United he would have learnt that lesson.

As an outsider I don't see that you need much in the way of new players, but McNamara needs to learn how to change it when he runs up against teams who suss them out. It was his his problem at Thistle. I thought with the superior quality at United he would have learnt that lesson.

That's spot on. It's why st Johnstone have whupped our asses 4 times this season, yet we can beat some other teams regularly with ease.

I think we might manage to keep Robertson, but I think GMS and Stretch will be away.

I'd like to see us signing David Wotherspoon from saints, but I know that's not going to happen.

Yup, we need a Plan B and Plan C (maybe some other plans too!)

Two or three teams completely outfoxed us this season and it has cost us big time, yesterday being a prime example of this. We can be so, so good at times, but we can also be so, so abject and weak.

From watching the game yesterday's you's seem to be stuck to 4-2-3-1.

I would have stared 4-4-2 with Graham and Cifti up top and Dow on the left and Armstrong on the right.

I'd actually be surprised if Ciftci is still with us next year. His agent will be whoring him around lower championship teams down South who could probably risk a few hundred thousand on him.

We really need a strong centre half but so do most teams by the looks of it so it's going to be tough to get the right one signed up. Gunning will be away (f**k off Gavin) though Dillon appears to be playing himself back into contention. Not sure where he is with a contract?

The crushing disappointment of losing yesterday combined with the impending hangover onslaught means I hope the bridge is closed today.

That's spot on. It's why st Johnstone have whupped our asses 4 times this season, yet we can beat some other teams regularly with ease.

I think we might manage to keep Robertson, but I think GMS and Stretch will be away.

I'd like to see us signing David Wotherspoon from saints, but I know that's not going to happen.

As I haven't seen United too much this season, would GMS be a big miss?. And who is stretch? Lol

I think GMS will be off now, he was talking about sitting down to have contract extension talks but I don't expect that'll come to much. I don't see us losing many of the others this close season however. We have to remember that as part of the deal we made with the bank to move our debt away from them, they still get a percentage of each player sale we make until summer 2015 at the latest so it's not in our best interests to sell many players this summer unless really stupid amounts of money are being offered for these players based on their potential. The likes of Ciftci, Robertson, Armstrong, Souttar and Gauld all have two years left on their contracts and Souttar at least has shown that he'd rather hang around for a while yet and get more experience.

We need another reliable striker in. I don't question his effort but Graham's not good enough at this level and neither is Farid so I would hope we don't try to renew his loan. Graham gets himself into good positions but his finishing too often his been poor and lacks composure. El Alagui finishes well but doesn't have enough mobility to get himself into the right places at the right times to score. If we could just combine those two like Jeff Goldblum and the fly in the teleporter machine in The Fly, then we'd probably have a pretty good effective striker for the Scottish Premiership.

We also need to get another centre-back in. This was a problem last season going into the transfer window, we really needed someone with a strong physical prescence and lot of experience to compliment the likes of Souttar or Dillon. But we got Butcher in and hoped he'd develop. I liked Good but I feel we need an older, more experienced head in there that can take Souttar under his wing in matches and help develop him as a player as Souttar is the future for us and we need to prioritise progressing rather than look for a quick fix by taking Good on loan and developing Newcastle's youngster for them.

We've got Aidan Connolly coming through as well as Scott Fraser and Scott Smith starting to make appearances. Even if we let Gomis go in the summer then we can have another look at Darren Petrie and see if he's ready to be challenging Paton and Rankin for a position in defensive midfield. This plus the fact that Armstrong, Gauld, Souttar and Robertson all have another years experience under their belts makes me quite excited for next season despite the disappointment of yesterday. Then again I was really optimistic about our prospects going into the 2012/13 season and look how that ended up going.

From watching the game yesterday's you's seem to be stuck to 4-2-3-1.

I would have stared 4-4-2 with Graham and Cifti up top and Dow on the left and Armstrong on the right.

It was basically 4-4-2 yesterday with Armstrong trying to play on the right. He got the personnel correct, but wrong formation and positioning of the players. It should have been the same as against Motherwell with Armstrong playing through the centre dropping back when need be. Dow and mackay-Steven as proper wingers with Ciftci and Dow alternating.

Anyway: I'd like to see two centre halves in the mould of Steven Anderson - i.e ugly c**t who will break his face for the team, but hopefully a better passer of the ball. McDonald will be an improvement on Rado, so wouldn't mind him coming in. Charlie Telfer to replace Gomis in midfield with Petrie also staying and a new right winger as we've not had one of them in absolute ages (someone like Ainsworth). Finally, a pacy as f**k striker would do.

Erskine, Graham, El Alagui, Wilson, Gomis, Gardyne, Gunning and Rado will all hopefully be gone That's a fair amount of wages, as shockingly, Graham is apparent;y on £1200 (!!!!!!!) a week.

edit: oh, and I think Mackay-Steven is definitely offski.

Graham, Wilson and Rado won't leave I don't think. We just gave Wilson a new contract (Rado as well not too long ago) and Graham is always being talked up by the coaches and is well liked by JMc. The rest on that list will probably go.

There will be much more expectation on McNamara next year. He has his team in place, he has the squad playing the way he wants and he will now have a bit of money to spend so he needs to get it right. For me we need to be challenging properly for at least 3rd next year and have a much better season defensively.

Apologies lads i posted this in the old thread so ive moved it to the correct thread for it

CB and a striker are a must along with that Blair Spittal from queens park as not much needed on the ins maybe a few younger players for the future wont go a miss but if jackie gets it right in the summer we will come back stronger.

Possible Ins

Darren petrie (Loan expired possibly promoted to United 1st team squad)

Blair Spittal (Queens Park), Marc Mcnulty (Livingston), Charlie Telfer (sevco ) and Denny Johnstone (Celtic)

Possible Outs

GMS (£1m fee?)

Jordan Allan, Jimmy Gomis, Dale Hilson and Gavin Gunning (released)

Brian Graham, Michael Gardyne, Marc Millar, Chris Erskine (maybe hell replace GMS/ maybe hell go back on loan to Plastic whistle) ???

Archived