The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

20 minutes ago, Kneetrembler said:

You are completely overlooking the fact that he got the club out of the same debt.

He struck a genius deal with the banks that wrote off a heap of the debt.

Getting wealthy people to put money into the club with no strings attached whether its your mates or not is extremely good practice.

Milne made mistakes along with other clubs overspending in the 90's to try to complete with rangers. It was a collective madness. However, he stuck around to rectify his mistakes and turned it around. He also built the dick Donald stand, which I believe he was never paid for. Although I don't know that for sure.

It's completely appropriate to compare where the club was when he took the helm and where it is now. It's in much better shape and the buck stops with him.

You could argue that the end justifies the means but he allowed the debt to run up under his stewardship and we could be in a much more precarious position had it not been for the Donalds. It's not as if this was a calculated move from Milne, he ran up a debt that hampered us for years.

You can compare before and now but you also have to look at the 'during'. 9 bottom half finishes out of 19 stemming from repeated poor management appointments and utter neglect of having suitable stadium and training facilities. 

We were previously led by visionaries who made Pittodrie one of the best and most modern grounds in Britain at the time. Now we're about 20 years behind the curve with a disproportionate semi-dilapidated stadium and struggling to move out to a new ground on the outskirts of an Aberdeenshire commuter village. He'll leave the club in a geographically poorer position than he found it which we'll have to deal with financially for decades.

You could argue that the end justifies the means but he allowed the debt to run up under his stewardship and we could be in a much more precarious position had it not been for the Donalds. It's not as if this was a calculated move from Milne, he ran up a debt that hampered us for years.
You can compare before and now but you also have to look at the 'during'. 9 bottom half finishes out of 19 stemming from repeated poor management appointments and utter neglect of having suitable stadium and training facilities. 
We were previously led by visionaries who made Pittodrie one of the best and most modern grounds in Britain at the time. Now we're about 20 years behind the curve with a disproportionate semi-dilapidated stadium and struggling to move out to a new ground on the outskirts of an Aberdeenshire commuter village. He'll leave the club in a geographically poorer position than he found it which we'll have to deal with financially for decades.

We don't know how anyone else would have handled managing the club in that period. But we do know that no one tried to.

I am not seeing any consortium looking to buy him out now either. No "save Pittodrie" fans action group. Just anti kingsford.

I think he's done a decent enough job. He stood up in troubled times and is working hard on delivering Kingsford.

I get that you are strongly opposed to moving Stadium as are many Dons fans. However, it is a minority view.

You reckon Ross to Aberdeen is a bit of a jump as he's not proven anything yet (despite his impressive record at Alloa & St Mirren) but you can see Rangers going for McCann who has coached less than 2 dozen games?
I think I see a slight flaw in your logic, ole bean.

Where have I said Rangers will appoint McCann? There's not a fucking chance that will happen. It was the bookies odds I was commenting on.

1 minute ago, Kneetrembler said:

We don't know how anyone else would have handled managing the club in that period. But we do know that no one tried to.

I am not seeing any consortium looking to buy him out now either. No "save Pittodrie" fans action group. Just anti kingsford.

I think he's done a decent enough job. He stood up in troubled times and is working hard on delivering Kingsford.

I get that you are strongly opposed to moving Stadium as are many Dons fans. However, it is a minority view.

Amazing what a good team on the pitch and a good marketing campaign can do. The "No Kingsford" group have helped the club no end as anyone anti-Kingsford is now seen as anti-AFC. The Loirston plans were better than what's being proposed for "Aurora" yet received nowhere near the level of support, could you explain that?

Its fair enough to say that nobody else has stepped up to run the club, at the same time we're moving the club 7 miles out of the city centre because apparently there are no other options. Doesn't mean that either are desirable situations.

Amazing what a good team on the pitch and a good marketing campaign can do. The "No Kingsford" group have helped the club no end as anyone anti-Kingsford is now seen as anti-AFC. The Loirston plans were better than what's being proposed for "Aurora" yet received nowhere near the level of support, could you explain that?
Its fair enough to say that nobody else has stepped up to run the club, at the same time we're moving the club 7 miles out of the city centre because apparently there are no other options. Doesn't mean that either are desirable situations.

Mate, that's the new stadium debate, which has a thread of it's own.
My post was that Milne has been a decent custodian of the club and I would trust him to pick a decent manager to replace DM when the time comes.
Ebbe had a stellar cv when he came in. He was just not suited to Scotland and a bit past It.
Pele had probably achieved more in football when he came in than Jack Ross has up to now. The drink had hold of him though and a bit of due diligence on that one might have helped. Lesson learned hopefully.
McGee was a disaster of an appointment. Milne made a right c**t of that one.
Craig Brown steadied the ship and laid the foundations for Mcinnes.

Far from perfect, but we could do a lot worse.

3 minutes ago, Kneetrembler said:

My post was that Milne has been a decent custodian of the club and I would trust him to pick a decent manager to replace DM when the time comes.
Ebbe had a stellar cv when he came in. He was just not suited to Scotland and a bit past It.
Pele had probably achieved more in football when he came in than Jack Ross has up to now. The drink had hold of him though and a bit of due diligence on that one might have helped. Lesson learned hopefully.

Yes but its a stadium which Milne has been trying to deliver for nearly two decades. We're not going to agree but Milne's tenure has been littered with poor decisions, the appointment of McInnes was an exception.

39 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Where have I said Rangers will appoint McCann? There's not a fucking chance that will happen. It was the bookies odds I was commenting on.

See, when you said "if McCann leaves" and it was in light of the talk about his odds shortening for the "The Job" it seemed like you were suggesting if he went to Rangers...well, you can see how I made the assumption.

Yes but its a stadium which Milne has been trying to deliver for nearly two decades. We're not going to agree but Milne's tenure has been littered with poor decisions, the appointment of McInnes was an exception.

Changing the Pittodrie pie from a scotch pie to that real mince ones was a shite decision right enough.

Never mind it would be boring if we always agreed about everything.

Funny how you miss Calderwood, who drove fans away in masses, but is revered by some for playing a Europa group like they were home and away.
Milne got his stake in Aberdeen by writing off dicks erection.
Milne is not to blame for all of our problems but he is certainly culpable for more than other supports would have tolerated.

I miss Chris Anderson's vision

Funny how you miss Calderwood, who drove fans away in masses, but is revered by some for playing a Europa group like they were home and away.
Milne got his stake in Aberdeen by writing off dicks erection.
Milne is not to blame for all of our problems but he is certainly culpable for more than other supports would have tolerated.

I miss Chris Anderson's vision

Who reveres Calderwood?

it's not like we had a choice between Milne and some business genius altruistic benefactor though.

Did I quote you?
Thought I had you on ignore

It was a genuine question, with the (relative) success of the McInnes trophy is there anyone missing the Calderwood era? One good season in Europe, and a collection of top six trophies to his credit, and certainly during the McGhee era plenty of people thought we made a mistake binning Calderwood, but does anyone now revere him, now we've seen what the club is capable of under decent management?

It was a genuine question, with the (relative) success of the McInnes trophy is there anyone missing the Calderwood era? One good season in Europe, and a collection of top six trophies to his credit, and certainly during the McGhee era plenty of people thought we made a mistake binning Calderwood, but does anyone now revere him, now we've seen what the club is capable of under decent management?

Fair enough.
Loads still hark back to his halcyon days of Gary Dempsey, Ritchie fitever.
I hear it some games and fan pages hold him in a far better light than the reality.

3 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

He knew how to beat the h*ns at Pittodrie at least.

38 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

See, when you said "if McCann leaves" and it was in light of the talk about his odds shortening for the "The Job" it seemed like you were suggesting if he went to Rangers...well, you can see how I made the assumption.

When I say 'if McCann leaves', I'm more thinking about him potentially getting the sack more than anything else. In saying that, his last two results have firmly established him as a Dundee hero again. Funny how fickle football fans are.