The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

16 hours ago, Jute said:

Allocation for first game at Mordor was done that way last year. Must be a nightmare sorting buses for this one. 

Do you mean Maribor? I know they didn't do any European trips away from last season which is understandable going with numbers but in games in the league I don't understand . Supporters Clubs like Granite City/Northern Lights/Blazing Lambs/Capital1903/Glenrothes Reds etc are running buses to every game and have the regulars that go home and away so will have enough points so don't understand why it is difficult to organise 300 odd tickets for these groups.

The CRM database system at Pittodrie works well apart for Supporters clubs as staff have to manually put points for them so they need to improve that as I noticed yesterday I got a heap of points (obviously someone complained they didn't have enough points). Also its only down to a 1pt for away games which is strange considering it was 4 points for european games before the season started. 

Edited by betting competition

Sorry, long-winded horse shite, slow day at work.

Derek McInnes is the best manager AFC have had for 30 years…but could and probably should be better.

My reservations about McInnes are simply because I’m not sure he knows how good he could be or how good his teams could be. Blighted by caution and his teams often have a profligacy in front of goal that goes way beyond ‘bad luck’, his term as manager has never quite made it to the heights it could or probably should have.

When he lets his team off the leash, they have been devastating as Dundee, Partick & Motherwell can testify but it happens far too infrequently.

Often we’ll watch his team dominate possession but seemingly trying to score the perfect goal, too often good position just…fizzles out.

Worse than that is the major overhaul of team make-up or formation when it patently isn’t necessary. Horses for courses is fine but it should mean a tweak here and there, not wholesale change of personnel and completely different roles for the whole team.

In 14/15 Aberdeen almost matched Celtic’s form against The Rest – we only dropped 5 more points than Celtic against the other 10 teams. Incredibly, at the split we had picked up a point MORE than Celtic against The Rest (post-split, complete collapse picked up 3/12). We were 8 points behind Celtic because we lost all 3 games against Celtic! Unbelievably that season we lost 4 out of 4 against Ronny Deila’s Celtic. 4 out of 4! Against Deila’s Celtic.

You will never convince me that was anything but McInnes falling into the trap of bottling it against the Old Firm.

The guy is better than that, I’m sure it he is, but he really needs to believe in himself and his players.

I think the dons have just about got it right with ticket allocation these days. The 143+ points is a very specific figure and obviously this would guarantee every person above that threshold a ticket for Ibrox.

If supporters clubs were granted the allocation they wanted then there would be no tickets available for the regular punter.

Perhaps there needs to be better communication between the club and supporters clubs regarding proper lists of members and for a game like ibrox, afc could go to supporters clubs and say ‘right, 10 of your members have enough points, would they all like a ticket, you’ve got a couple of days to find out if they do and if yes we’ll allocate those 10 seats together’. The only thing being, that would also be open to abuse as the supporters clubs would likely take the tickets and then just allocate them themselves.

21 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I think the dons have just about got it right with ticket allocation these days. The 143+ points is a very specific figure and obviously this would guarantee every person above that threshold a ticket for Ibrox.

If supporters clubs were granted the allocation they wanted then there would be no tickets available for the regular punter.

Perhaps there needs to be better communication between the club and supporters clubs regarding proper lists of members and for a game like ibrox, afc could go to supporters clubs and say ‘right, 10 of your members have enough points, would they all like a ticket, you’ve got a couple of days to find out if they do and if yes we’ll allocate those 10 seats together’. The only thing being, that would also be open to abuse as the supporters clubs would likely take the tickets and then just allocate them themselves.

Supporters clubs can't get any allocation for Ibrox - it depends if their members have the points! Last season you got a list of members that had the points for Ibrox and you had to say what allocation  you was taking along with sending a list of your members that are going. 

Should also add the mid week game will struggle to sell like last season it took well over a week to sell out as quite a lot of Aberdeen fans just won't go to Rangers/Celtic away games.  

Supporters clubs can't get any allocation for Ibrox - it depends if their members have the points! Last season you got a list of members that had the points for Ibrox and you had to say what allocation  you was taking along with sending a list of your members that are going. 

I understand that they are getting no allocation and in some respect I agree. I used to run a supporters club that regularly took 15-20 to away games, for games at Ibrox/Parkhead we’d often have as many as 80 applications for tickets.

In that case they should’ve done the same this season as last. But as I say, that system would also be open to abuse. What’s to stop the supporters club saying that Jo Bloggs (who has enough points) is going and then giving the ticket to John Bogs (who doesn’t have enough points) instead because Jo Bloggs can’t go.

The way that AFC are allocating the tickets is the only way to ensure that those with the most loyalty points can get a ticket.

21 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

Sorry, long-winded horse shite, slow day at work.

Derek McInnes is the best manager AFC have had for 30 years…but could and probably should be better.

My reservations about McInnes are simply because I’m not sure he knows how good he could be or how good his teams could be. Blighted by caution and his teams often have a profligacy in front of goal that goes way beyond ‘bad luck’, his term as manager has never quite made it to the heights it could or probably should have.

When he lets his team off the leash, they have been devastating as Dundee, Partick & Motherwell can testify but it happens far too infrequently.

Often we’ll watch his team dominate possession but seemingly trying to score the perfect goal, too often good position just…fizzles out.

Worse than that is the major overhaul of team make-up or formation when it patently isn’t necessary. Horses for courses is fine but it should mean a tweak here and there, not wholesale change of personnel and completely different roles for the whole team.

In 14/15 Aberdeen almost matched Celtic’s form against The Rest – we only dropped 5 more points than Celtic against the other 10 teams. Incredibly, at the split we had picked up a point MORE than Celtic against The Rest (post-split, complete collapse picked up 3/12). We were 8 points behind Celtic because we lost all 3 games against Celtic! Unbelievably that season we lost 4 out of 4 against Ronny Deila’s Celtic. 4 out of 4! Against Deila’s Celtic.

You will never convince me that was anything but McInnes falling into the trap of bottling it against the Old Firm.

The guy is better than that, I’m sure it he is, but he really needs to believe in himself and his players.

I agree, and it's for this reason I'm not particularly fearing him leaving. And that seems to be the general consensus among the support. There's no denying he's done a fantastic job but it could definitely be better. 

3 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

What's he saying?

Talking about his time at Aberdeen, his work in sports psychology and his Aberdeen music mates. Sounded rather disappointed that his first training session was held in the car park. Nothing much has moved on since then!

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

It could be so much worse. Look at Hearts post-Neilson. McInnes isn't flawless but I don't really see many other options.

We only have to look back 4 or 5 years to see where we were pre-McInnes. Results like last Saturday's were the absolute norm.....if we got a point at home to a team like Motherwell we were chuffed.

Saying that, I agree with one of the posts above. In retrospect, seasons 14/15 and 15/16 were wasted opportunities. A wee bit more believe and a bit more investment in the January transfer windows could well have seen us win the league.

Hibs took advantage of a shite Celtic and piss poor Rangers to go on and win the cup. We should have done the same in the league. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We only have to look back 4 or 5 years to see where we were pre-McInnes. Results like last Saturday's were the absolute norm.....if we got a point at home to a team like Motherwell we were chuffed.

Saying that, I agree with one of the posts above. In retrospect, seasons 14/15 and 15/16 were wasted opportunities. A wee bit more believe and a bit more investment in the January transfer windows could well have seen us win the league.

Hibs took advantage of a shite Celtic and piss poor Rangers to go on and win the cup. We should have done the same in the league. 

Agreed, particularly 15/16. I know Tansey isn't playing particularly well at the moment, but we were crying out for some more bite and drive from midfield, and if we'd have got him we could have really challenged. Looking back gets you nowhere though, and at the moment the situation would be worse without McInnes, unless we were able to secure a better replacement. 

I wonder how Motherwell would feel about us returning to them for managerial talent....

15 hours ago, Kneetrembler said:

Is there any other manager within our budget that could do a better job than McInnes? 

I dinna think so.

I don't think so either, the only negatives I have in Mcinnes is our record against Celtic is very poor and only won 1 trophy but the positives outweigh that

15 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I keep reading that we should have taken advantage of Ronny Deila poor teams but for that Celtic team got 92 points and 86 points for those season and to put that into context with us our best ever points total was last season with 76 points. Our club is well run financially now and I don't want that to change like we tried to do in the late 90s

3 hours ago, betting competition said:

I keep reading that we should have taken advantage of Ronny Deila poor teams but for that Celtic team got 92 points and 86 points for those season and to put that into context with us our best ever points total was last season with 76 points. Our club is well run financially now and I don't want that to change like we tried to do in the late 90s

Sorry to disagree but…

Up to the Split in 2014/15 Aberdeen had actually bettered Deila’s results against the other 10 Premiership teams by a point. The only reason Aberdeen were 8 points behind them at the Split was because of losing all 3 pre-split games against Celtic. If AFC had won just the home game against them in the regular season, they’d have gone into the run-in 2 points behind Celtic, with a home game against them to come…

Even allowing for the disastrous results against a comparatively mediocre Celtic, at the Split that season we had 71 points. Had we continued in the same vein you would have expected us to finish with around 80 points, but we utterly collapsed, picked up just 4 points where we could have expected 9 or even 10.

The following season Aberdeen won both home games against Celtic but match days 9 through 13 happened. After winning the first 8 games there came the inexplicable 1 point from 15 including the 1-5 drubbing at home to St. Johnstone. AFC went from 5 points ahead to 7 points adrift – however, again we not only matched them for the next 6 months but up to Round 30 we had clawed back the deficit, to only 2 points!

Then we went on holiday early again or the ‘heads went’, bottle crashed, whatever. AFC lost 2 of the last 3 pre-Split and then utterly collapsed post-Split (again), picked up just 3 points from 15 including 0-3 at McDiarmid and 0-4 at home to County.

We had the chance, both seasons. We blew it for whatever reason, both seasons. We may not get the same chance again.