The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I rate Moult and May, and I fully understand McInnes' signing policy of players he knows well but..

...if we're potentially looking at spending upwards of 400k is Moult, who may not start every week, the best use of it? A striker is only as good as the service he gets, and Rooney is probably easier to replace than Hayes/McGinn. Maybe the big bucks should be going on replacing them?

Well the Jay Spearing rumour must be shit

He was released yesterday by Bolton as they could not afford to keep him on the same contract he had since 2013.

He is their highest paid player.

No chance he's coming here. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]????[emoji23]

agreed

£400k+Storey would be my last bid and I probably wouldn't even have bid that tbh

If we pay half a million when him and May are both on a free next summer I'd say its a waste

If Moult was playing in League One in England I dare say he'd be worth more that 400k. A couple of seasons banging in the goal for Aberdeen and you be able to sell him for double what you paid I think.

43 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Aye, he's definitely worth around half a mil. He's a great goalscorer, and an upgrade on Rooney certainly.

Moult's absolutely worth half a million to Motherwell. He's been our top scorer the past two seasons running and it's not a stretch to say that his goals kept us in the league. If he leaves then we have to replace that so that was 33% of our league goals last season and 31% the season before. He's shown some decent form in pre-season but it unlikely that we'll be seeing Ryan Bowman getting those sort of numbers nor Alex Fisher and Jacob fucking Blyth certainly won't. I'd say that how available Motherwell's intended replacements are will have a fair influence on things (especially as we've yet to replace McDonald IMO).

Whether Moult's worth £500k for Aberdeen is a different question given you've got Rooney there already and have since added Maynard. With Stewart and Christie added to the side I don't imagine you'll be short of goals. As Desp said the other day, I think Moult would score a barrowload for Aberdeen but I'd also add the caveat that I don't necessarily think you'd need to spend £500k on a player to get the same return, OK Storey and Stockley look like busts but I'd be amazed if Aberdeen wouldn't be able to find a striker to score goals for them for a fraction of that £500k. I'm a fan of Moult absolutely but he's not without his limitations; he's not particularly quick, he doesn't hold the ball up particularly well (though has improved on that side of his game) and he doesn't suit the lone striker role. He was always at his best playing with a partner in Scott McDonald.

He's also rehabbing from surgery at the moment and hasn't featured in any of our pre-season games because of that so it's unlikely that he'll be available for your early European games. IIRC there was chat that he's about 3-4 weeks behind the rest of our squad fitness-wise. The target was for him to be back in about a month.

I don't really see that the "we'll sign him on a pre-contract" logic works and there's no guarantee that you will. If he's available for nothing then there's every chance that teams who maybe fancied Moult but didn't want to match Motherwell's valuation will make more of an effort. Similarly, the longer it drags out the more chance I'd say there is of other teams becoming interested. If teams from England start sniffing about and making credible offers then I'd say the balance shifts to them. There's a fair chance that Aberdeen probably have a short window to make this happen if they actually want him.

Clearly my preference is that we get our asking price from some Championship/League 1 mob like Sheffield United, Oxford, Birmingham or Derby so we get our money, Moult heads back to England and everyone at Fir Park is happy that he won't be scoring goals against us next season. Hopefully that's what we make happen.

Edited by capt_oats

48 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Moult's absolutely worth half a million to Motherwell. He's been our top scorer the past two seasons running and it's not a stretch to say that his goals kept us in the league. If he leaves then we have to replace that so that was 33% of our league goals last season and 31% the season before. He's shown some decent form in pre-season but it unlikely that we'll be seeing Ryan Bowman getting those sort of numbers nor Alex Fisher and Jacob fucking Blyth certainly won't. I'd say that how available Motherwell's intended replacements are will have a fair influence on things (especially as we've yet to replace McDonald IMO).

Whether Moult's worth £500k for Aberdeen is a different question given you've got Rooney there already and have since added Maynard. With Stewart and Christie added to the side I don't imagine you'll be short of goals. As Desp said the other day, I think Moult would score a barrowload for Aberdeen but I'd also add the caveat that I don't necessarily think you'd need to spend £500k on a player to get the same return, OK Storey and Stockley look like busts but I'd be amazed if Aberdeen wouldn't be able to find a striker to score goals for them for a fraction of that £500k. I'm a fan of Moult absolutely but he's not without his limitations; he's not particularly quick, he doesn't hold the ball up particularly well (though has improved on that side of his game) and he doesn't suit the lone striker role. He was always at his best playing with a partner in Scott McDonald.

I don't really see that the "we'll sign him on a pre-contract" logic works and there's no guarantee that you will. If he's available for nothing then there's every chance that teams who maybe fancied Moult but didn't want to match Motherwell's valuation will make more of an effort. Similarly, the longer it drags out the more chance I'd say there is of other teams becoming interested. If teams from England start sniffing about and making credible offers then I'd say the balance shifts to them. There's a fair chance that Aberdeen probably have a short window to make this happen if they actually want him.

Clearly my preference is that we get our asking price from some Championship/League 1 mob like Sheffield United, Oxford, Birmingham or Derby so we get our money, Moult heads back to England and everyone at Fir Park is happy that he won't be scoring goals against us next season. Hopefully that's what we make happen.

A reasoned and well thought out post. Get out of here! :lol:

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

He's also rehabbing from surgery at the moment and hasn't featured in any of our pre-season games because of that so it's unlikely that he'll be available for your early European games. IIRC there was chat that he's about 3-4 weeks behind the rest of our squad fitness-wise. The target was for him to be back in about a month.

It'll be interesting to see how Rooney does next year. Last year he was poor IMO, only got 12 in the league with two of the league's best wingers crossing for him. It could have just been a blip, or it could be the start of his decline. If he is to begin to taper off, Moult would be a good replacement. If we're looking for someone to augment what he offers, I don't think Moult would be that good an option. So his value to the Dons depends on how McInnes views his, and Rooney's, roles within the squad. I certainly think a narrow front three of Christie, Stewart and Moult would be very exciting. 

If we're better than Rijeka, and he wasn't good enough for Rijeka, it makes me wonder why we're even entertaining the idea of signing him. Never know though, may have improved significantly since then.

I love McInnes but his signing policy is to buy folk he knows well.  Nothing wrong with that but he seems to know good defenders and is scrabbling round look at shite journey men being punted by agents.

Hopefully he's got someone identified and this is just an insurance policy but would be nice to see or hear something positive soon

I'd be very surprised if these trialists are the basis of McInnes' recruitment plans for the summer, indeed they're more than likely just jersey fillers for the bounce games given the youths played yesterday and have their own pre season schedule.

Unfortunately the market is against us at present, if we're looking at paying fees. With Europe we're in an almost unique position of needing players in now (Friday felt like transfer deadline day) but clubs elsewhere aren't in any rush to sell - especially not at the reduced prices we'll be trying to negotiate. Especially since clubs know we've got some coin at the moment.

If I was to second guess what DM is playing at it'd be that he has in mind his favoured target and they are under contract at moment. So waiting for a pay off or being allowed out on loan.

Perhaps this has the potential to run up to end August so he's raking in the bargain bins (>£1k/week) to look for cover in the meantime who can be accomodated as a squad player if he gets his man