The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I thought it was Birmingham who wanted McLean not Sevco?

Personally wouldn't part with him, even if he goes on a free next year, with the amount of rebuilding the squad already needs, losing probably our second best player could be disastrous.

As good as he is, I'd rather he left now and we got some cash for him. Hopefully we've got our eyes on a couple of wingers. Christie is much more effective playing centrally too, scored 8 in 15 for us.

Nope. We simply don't have the resources to replace half of our key players in one summer. Kenny must stay. Get him a one year extension with a promise to sell him next summer if that's what he really wants.

If we lost 3 Dons players to the old firm in one transfer window I would be pretty upset. It's depressing enough having them in our league but if we are in a position where three of our best players can just be gobbled up by the old firm as soon as they come calling then we are in a pretty poor position. We aren't going to win the league next season but second should still be the target, losing McLean to anyone would make that harder, but losing him to our likely rivals for second would be terrible.

It would be funny as f*ck if Sevco signed Aberdeens two best centre mids* but still finished behind them. 
* dont know exactly where you place Shinnies position.

Shinnie better than Jack or McLean. Jack the worst of the three imo, albeit still a good player.

6 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Shinnie better than Jack or McLean. Jack the worst of the three imo, albeit still a good player.

I agree just wasnt to sure what to put as Shinnies position. If the money they are talking about McLean is true then you cant blame Aberdeen for wanting to sell. It would make a big statement if they were to say they will not be selling to Sevco however.

What money are they talking?

If it's them then they should be told in no uncertain terms we'd only even consider if it's serious money. We don't need to sell, and certainly not to a rival.

I'd rather lose him for nothing than sell to them for anything less than top dollar.

It's actually a good tactic from Sevco. Despite all the bravado they don't have a hope in hell of getting near Celtic. Even a lot of their deluded fans know this but their board know the peepul would go mental if they furnished below Aberdeen again.
Weaken the Dons and second should be a breeze. Started off with Jack as he's free then when they stared getting yet more "soft loans" go for Maclean.

Let's face it as good as Jack and Maclean where last couple of seasons they often fell short when playing Celtic. Particularly Jack against Brown. So signing that two won't make much a dent on Celtic but will substantially weaken Aberdeen.
If the Maclean sale does go through don't let him leave until the cheque clears and for his sake he'd better hope he gets paid every week.

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If it's them then they should be told in no uncertain terms we'd only even consider if it's serious money. We don't need to sell, and certainly not to a rival.

I'd rather lose him for nothing than sell to them for anything less than top dollar.

It's all a bit of a charade though. Everyone knows they won't pay serious money. They're back to their same old schtick, low-ball offers and feeding stories to their staunch pals in the press hoping that the player does their work for them to try and force a move. So far you've seen both Norwich and Hearts telling them to GTF with "offers". From the look of things clubs in the UK aren't really that keen on dealing with them or at the very least have much less of an issue telling them to do one when they appear on the scene.

How many contracted players in Scotland have they been "linked" with this summer and how many have they actually signed? Unless Aberdeen's board and manager are utterly spineless then I'd be pretty amazed if Maclean ended up at Ibrox this summer.

7 minutes ago, jim999 said:

It's actually a good tactic from Sevco. Despite all the bravado they don't have a hope in hell of getting near Celtic. Even a lot of their deluded fans know this but their board know the peepul would go mental if they furnished below Aberdeen again.
Weaken the Dons and second should be a breeze. Started off with Jack as he's free then when they stared getting yet more "soft loans" go for Maclean.

Let's face it as good as Jack and Maclean where last couple of seasons they often fell short when playing Celtic. Particularly Jack against Brown. So signing that two won't make much a dent on Celtic but will substantially weaken Aberdeen.
If the Maclean sale does go through don't let him leave until the cheque clears and for his sake he'd better hope he gets paid every week.

Good post mate. Sevco appear to be, if the media are to be believed, building a midfield based around that of a team that finished 2nd and some distance from Celtic.

They clearly no that they cannot catch Celtic so will settle for 2nd and are therefore going all out to overtake Aberdeen.

I like McLean but think Dorrans is a far better midfielder however they clearly cannot afford his transfer fee or wages.