The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Of course they are a basket case - but that really isn't the point.  I doubt McInness is on anything more than £150K pa at Aberdeen, if that.  He'd be a fool to negotiate less than £500K pa at Slumberland.  Thus, however it works out, and as long as he's canny with his personal expenditure, he banks £1 million from a three year contract however he performs.
If you're 45 that's an absolute no-brainer.

Not really.

If he takes a long term view was he to get sacked in the short term at Sunderland that could be his reputation in England gone given his experience in Bristol. For that reason a poisoned chalice isn't to his benefit. Don't get me wrong I'd understand if he took it but don't think it's as clear cut as you suggest.

32 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I'm a Sunderland fan and I think he's off his head, they are an absolute basket case at the moment.

There's a chapter in the Secret Footballer,( one of his ones anyway), basically saying that they are a shitebag club from a horrible area who have to pay well over the odds to attract players.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not really.

If he takes a long term view was he to get sacked in the short term at Sunderland that could be his reputation in England gone given his experience in Bristol. For that reason a poisoned chalice isn't to his benefit. Don't get me wrong I'd understand if he took it but don't think it's as clear cut as you suggest.

He still is £1M to the good and his stock will remain high in Scotland so he'll know he'll get a gig.  I think Aberdeen is a better club and a better option professionally but for him this really is free money.

6 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

There's a chapter in the Secret Footballer,( one of his ones anyway), basically saying that they are a shitebag club from a horrible area who have to pay well over the odds to attract players.

Aye, but we're not talking about Sevco, at the moment.

He still is £1M to the good and his stock will remain high in Scotland so he'll know he'll get a gig.  I think Aberdeen is a better club and a better option professionally but for him this really is free money.

He's an ambitious guy and I think he sees himself as one day managing in the English premier league.

He's in an extremely stable job, his time will come in England and it would be with a more stable club.

Of course he'd have a future in management in Scotland should he fail at Sunderland but is it worth it to blow the long term prospect of building towards a long term premier league job etc?

On the other hand he may just have that confidence in himself to succeed there.

Whatever he chooses, as gutted as I'd be to lose him, he'll have my support.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

He's an ambitious guy and I think he sees himself as one day managing in the English premier league.

He's in an extremely stable job, his time will come in England and it would be with a more stable club.

Of course he'd have a future in management in Scotland should he fail at Sunderland but is it worth it to blow the long term prospect of building towards a long term premier league job etc?

Maybe Aberdeen will hike his wages now that you're being sugar-daddied.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Maybe Aberdeen will hike his wages now that you're being sugar-daddied.

If he stays, then I imagine he'll have been able to renegotiate his contract accordingly. But hopefully, the club has recognised the pitfalls from the days of living beyond our means and aren't going to squander money we don't have.
Some of us lived through Toastergate.............

I'll miss Hayes - he seems like one of the good guys. Obviously disappointed he is signing for another team in our league, but he has always given absolutely everything for Aberdeen and has been a joy to watch at times. He is a shrewd signing for Celtic and, if nothing else, I hope this move allows him to build up a tidy sum of money for his post-playing days.