The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

14 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

I'd have him at centre back first. He's hardly built like a full back. He is exposed at times with pacey wingers running at him. On the plus side his late back post runs cause defences problems with his height and heading ability.

I think our team has a better overall balance with Considine at left-back (and Shinnie in midfield). I have seen the former exposed by quicker wingers and I would not for one moment deny that he has his certain limitations, but it is a testament to how far his game has developed over the last couple of seasons that these weaknesses have been gradually minimised and are now significantly less evident than they once were. It is likely a minority opinion, but I prefer Reynolds at left-sided centre-back to Considine: I also believe that Reynolds benefits from having Considine at left-back rather than Shinnie, as Considine's game is inherently more cautious and conservative than the latter's. 

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I think our team has a better overall balance with Considine at left-back (and Shinnie in midfield). I have seen the former exposed by quicker wingers and I would not for one moment deny that he has his certain limitations, but it is a testament to how far his game has developed over the last couple of seasons that these weaknesses have been gradually minimised and are now significantly less evident than they once were. It is likely a minority opinion, but I prefer Reynolds at left-sided centre-back to Considine: I also believe that Reynolds benefits from having Considine at left-back rather than Shinnie, as Considine's game is inherently more cautious and conservative than the latter's. 

Aye, you have been pretty consistent in your views about our back 4 and I agree with you now. I thought we were a better team with Shinnie at LB, but the recent run of good form shows what our best 11 is.

With Shinnie banned on Wednesday, I expect to see McLean play deeper and Christie get a start. 

When people talk about players actually deserving of a new contract it's sometimes lip service. Andy Considine ain't a super star by any means but he has been really very steady for the Dons this last few years, especially since Deek came in. He adapted better to left back than most of us thought he would I'd imagine.
Good news and fully deserved.

2 hours ago, jim999 said:

When people talk about players actually deserving of a new contract it's sometimes lip service. Andy Considine ain't a super star by any means but he has been really very steady for the Dons this last few years, especially since Deek came in. He adapted better to left back than most of us thought he would I'd imagine.
Good news and fully deserved.

Thought his pop moves were superstaresque, Beyoncé perhaps!

Edited by cmontheloknow

9 hours ago, StandFree03 said:

Going to jinx it but he's not made a proper mistake for as long as I can remember. He's become very dependable.

I agree.

Going back a few years I always felt he was a defender who could play well for 88 minutes but seemed to always have one or two major lapses in games which cost us but he really seems to have cut that out of his game as well as offering (admittedly limited) an attacking threat to his game.

P.S. there appears to be a new red dot campaign against you :lol:

6 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

Nah, it's the same campaign. Some utterly rattled *** cowards :lol:

I gave you a Charles to cancel it out and because bennett, Tedi etc. are a bunch of losers.

9 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I agree.

Going back a few years I always felt he was a defender who could play well for 88 minutes but seemed to always have one or two major lapses in games which cost us but he really seems to have cut that out of his game as well as offering (admittedly limited) an attacking threat to his game.

P.S. there appears to be a new red dot campaign against you :lol:

This -  and the perception that every time we played Celtic he was going to get sent off.

In my opinion, we have the most exciting team since the early nineties. What do they have to do to get a regular decent crowd coming along to Pittodrie? Since the Motherwell game on 23rd December, not only have we been winning, but we have been putting in outstanding performances and dominating games. Obviously not in the Celtic match, although I feel that we did ok in that match, but just ok. But that match aside the team have been scoring goals, keeping clean sheets and generally entertaining all Dons fans that have been at these games. The crowd on Wednesday was 10,384, and well done to the Dons fans in that crowd, but what does it take to get another three or four thousand along. Hearts, who are, generally speaking, a team of cloggers, are getting 14/15,000 of their fans along to every home league match to watch what is dross compared to the football that Aberdeen are playing at the moment. I really despair of our missing supporters. What do you want?

25 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

In my opinion, we have the most exciting team since the early nineties. What do they have to do to get a regular decent crowd coming along to Pittodrie? Since the Motherwell game on 23rd December, not only have we been winning, but we have been putting in outstanding performances and dominating games. Obviously not in the Celtic match, although I feel that we did ok in that match, but just ok. But that match aside the team have been scoring goals, keeping clean sheets and generally entertaining all Dons fans that have been at these games. The crowd on Wednesday was 10,384, and well done to the Dons fans in that crowd, but what does it take to get another three or four thousand along. Hearts, who are, generally speaking, a team of cloggers, are getting 14/15,000 of their fans along to every home league match to watch what is dross compared to the football that Aberdeen are playing at the moment. I really despair of our missing supporters. What do you want?

Or average attendances in the early '90s was:

1990-91: 15,553. We literally lost the title on the last day and didn't get as much as the Jambos get now. 

1991-92: 11,799

1992-93: 11,176

1993-94: 12,460

1994-95: 13,590

Compare with McInnes' years - 

2013-14: 12,394

2014-15: 13,359

2015-16: 13,094

This is how many fans we have. More come out for the big games, less come out for the wee games. 

edit: the source is Wikipedia, if anyone's got a more reliable one I'd be glad to revise

Edited by RussellAnderson

The economic situation over the last couple of years doesn't help

People out of work along with people actually leaving Aberdeen to live and work elsewhere, it all adds up

I was comparing the team of the early nineties rather than the crowds. The only domestic matches this season where the crowds have been in excess of 12,000 are Celtic, Hearts, Rangers and Hamilton at Christmas. We had 2700+ at Dingwall on Saturday and our fans continue to boost the coffers of every other club in Scotland, except our own! The economic situation certainly has a part to play, but there is no question that apathy also has a part to play, and I've no idea why. If Derek McInnes gets offered and takes the job at Rangers, I am sure that one of the things that would sway him would be the disinterest of our fans.

Aberdeen are offering reduced rates for the Ladbrokes Premiership game on Saturday 11th March 2017.

The prices are reduced in phases as follows and are available now from the Fir Park ticket office.

Phase 1   Phase 2   Phase 3 Phase 4      
  Until 22 Feb   23rd Feb to 5th March      6th – 10th March   11th March        
     50% off     30% off      20% off     Full Price        
ADULTS    £12.50      £17.50      £20      £25        
Over 65    £9.50    £13      £15     £19       
Students and Over 75    £7.50    £10.50      £12     £15       
Under 18    £5    £7     £8    £10        
Under 12    £3    £4     £4.50     £6       

Fair play to Aberdeen for this.  

I think the 'phased' idea is fantastic, and something all clubs should be implementing.  At most grounds in the league, there are plenty of empty seats on matchdays.  This gives an incentive to fans to buy in advance, that way the host club isn't caught short in any way when it comes to costs for stewarding etc. 

15 minutes ago, Desp said:

Fair play to Aberdeen for this.  

I think the 'phased' idea is fantastic, and something all clubs should be implementing.  At most grounds in the league, there are plenty of empty seats on matchdays.  This gives an incentive to fans to buy in advance, that way the host club isn't caught short in any way when it comes to costs for stewarding etc. 

Totally agree. That's a schedule that I could imagine most clubs would actually benefit from. The only drawback in making it more than a one-off would be how you'd reconcile it with STs as, to use Aberdeen's example, you'd surely be cheaper just buying tickets regularly in phase 1 than buying a ST. Unless of course you matched the price with an early bird offer or something, say a 2 week window where you can buy/renew at that price.

Either way though good work from Aberdeen. More of that sort of thing, less of putting 7 past us.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Totally agree. That's a schedule that I could imagine most clubs would actually benefit from. The only drawback in making it more than a one-off would be how you'd reconcile it with STs as, to use Aberdeen's example, you'd surely be cheaper just buying tickets regularly in phase 1 than buying a ST. Unless of course you matched the price with an early bird offer or something, say a 2 week window where you can buy/renew at that price.

Either way though good work from Aberdeen. More of that sort of thing, less of putting 7 past us.

The club offer 'early bird' prices on season tickets as well, so simply introducing this kind of scheme to the season ticket pruchase would work. Obviously you wouldn't give a full 50% off a ST!

1 minute ago, Illgresi said:

The club offer 'early bird' prices on season tickets as well, so simply introducing this kind of scheme to the season ticket pruchase would work. Obviously you wouldn't give a full 50% off a ST!

That's kind of my point though, if you were to offer phased tickets regularly then other than to secure a specific seat why would you bother with a ST when you could potentially just buy your tickets in advance for significantly less during the season? That's assuming that the phased discount was similar to the schedule above. Change the phased discount to something less drastic but similarly appealing and work it in line with season ticket prices and for me it's an absolute winner.

As I say, it's a smashing idea and I agree with Desp it's something that I think most clubs would see a benefit from.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

That's kind of my point though, if you were to offer phased tickets regularly then other than to secure a specific seat why would you bother with a ST when you could potentially just buy your tickets in advance for significantly less during the season? That's assuming that the phased discount was similar to the schedule above. Change the phased discount to something less drastic but similarly appealing and work it in line with season ticket prices and for me it's an absolute winner.

As I say, it's a smashing idea and I agree with Desp it's something that I think most clubs would see a benefit from.

Because season tickets already work out at a substantial discount anyway. A full price season ticket in the South cost £363, which works out as £19.11 per game (assuming 19 home games). In order to match the 'phase 1' discount of 50%, a total of £12.50, spread over the season works out as a season ticket discount of 3.4%.

Alternatively, they could refund the difference on next season's ticket price.

Edited by Illgresi