The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I see Aberdeenshire Council have objected to the new stadium. Obviously it's not them making the final decision but you'd imagine the planning policies which they believe are being breached would be broadly similar to those of Aberdeen City who make the final call.

Edited by RiG

Some of the public representations are fantastic. Loads have been submitted both objecting and supporting the development though this is my favourite one that I've seen :lol:

AFC.png.4476ef42c31a79fe3120fe0fc83d9b79.png

You can't have read many as there a few fair few beauts in there.

Someone from Poland objected as when they visit family every couple of years they like to cycle along the cycle lane nearby....

Someone objected because there are geese that use the field.

You may think these are piss takes but I've witnessed the wallopers in action at Westhill shops, they've got a shitty little stand set up, league of gentlemen eat your heart out. 

If this application is refused and the main reason why Aberdeenshire Council have recommended it be refused permission is due to it being built on greenbelt land then what would our options be?

Also large sections of land around Kingswells and Westhill have been tuned from fields into business parks over the last few years.  Why are our proposals any different?

Another question is, if we do get permission is there any risk of being dragged into long running legal proceedings like what happened with the AWPR?

Edited by NorthernLights

I have the impression that ACC are quite keen for this to go ahead. It means absolutely hee haw what ASC say; they're more than likely just trying to pander to the Westhill nimbys. If it comes down to the balance of public support, I'm quite certain it will go ahead; you just have to look at the respective Facebook campaign memberships. Yes have more than three times the members!

24 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

If this application is refused and the main reason why Aberdeenshire Council have recommended it be refused permission is due to it being built on greenbelt land then what would our options be?

Also large sections of land around Kingswells and Westhill have been tuned from fields into business parks over the last few years.  Why are our proposals any different?

Another question is, if we do get permission is there any risk of being dragged into long running legal proceedings like what happened with the AWPR?

The Aberdeen City and Shire SDPA response isn't particularly great given that it is likely to represent the view of ACC planners as well as their Aberdeenshire counterparts. Some of the issues flagged up could be resolved in discussions between AFC and the councils but it would set something of a precedent if ACC gave the go ahead to the stadium which appears to be in conflict with a range of planning policies.

If the application is refused AFC could appeal the decision to the Scottish Government or you would need to revise the scheme and try again or find another site. If it gets the go ahead someone could challenge the decision through some kind of legal challenge so there could well be delays even if it does get planning permission. Depends how well funded any protest group would be because it wouldn't be cheap to go through that process.

Edited by RiG

More and more, I get the same sinking feeling I had with Loirston and Bellfield. There's precisely no support for development of facilities in the North East. None whatsoever from the councils. Everyone complains about things being put on their doorstep and progress is never backed. Compared to elsewhere in Scotland, our planning is hugely backwards.

Let's not beat around the bush though, while there is still hope, more and more, the feeling is the objections are going to count against this new development. And yet, a lot of it is arrant nonsense. The building on greenbelt land has been happening in Aberdeen for as long as I have been on the go. New business parks at Kingswells, Portlethen (Shire but very close to the city) and Dyce on land that was greenbelt. While the Shire council may greet, they've approved business parks on greenbelt land at the other side of Westhill and Portlethen, in quite substantial numbers.

At this stage, I would like to see the club come out with facts and figures on redeveloping Pittodrie. Heard plenty about how it is not possible, but little on the details of why it is not. The more information the better. Need to know the financial implications, the capacity restrictions and the building regulation restrictions. Then use these as pressure on ACC to approve the new ground. Obviously we fall far short of current UEFA regulations, but the layman does not know what else we are restricted by. Rumours are capacity would be restricted to 12,000 but I struggle to see how that would be the case when there is 8000 in the Beach End alone. We would like to know these things.

If this goes against us, then it really will need to be redeveloping Pittodrie. There's nowhere else to go to.

16 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

More and more, I get the same sinking feeling I had with Loirston and Bellfield. There's precisely no support for development of facilities in the North East. None whatsoever from the councils. Everyone complains about things being put on their doorstep and progress is never backed. Compared to elsewhere in Scotland, our planning is hugely backwards.

Let's not beat around the bush though, while there is still hope, more and more, the feeling is the objections are going to count against this new development. And yet, a lot of it is arrant nonsense. The building on greenbelt land has been happening in Aberdeen for as long as I have been on the go. New business parks at Kingswells, Portlethen (Shire but very close to the city) and Dyce on land that was greenbelt. While the Shire council may greet, they've approved business parks on greenbelt land at the other side of Westhill and Portlethen, in quite substantial numbers.

At this stage, I would like to see the club come out with facts and figures on redeveloping Pittodrie. Heard plenty about how it is not possible, but little on the details of why it is not. The more information the better. Need to know the financial implications, the capacity restrictions and the building regulation restrictions. Then use these as pressure on ACC to approve the new ground. Obviously we fall far short of current UEFA regulations, but the layman does not know what else we are restricted by. Rumours are capacity would be restricted to 12,000 but I struggle to see how that would be the case when there is 8000 in the Beach End alone. We would like to know these things.

If this goes against us, then it really will need to be redeveloping Pittodrie. There's nowhere else to go to.

When I used to live in Aberdeen I always wondered by the big piece of land behind the Shell petrol station on King Street didn't get developed by the club? It could easily accommodate the footprint of a Pittodrie size stadium but I guess Aberdeen need the additional space for things like the extra (community) pitches?

41 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

http://mobile.afc.co.uk/page/PittodrieNoMore/0,,10284,00.html

Council approve that hideous empty carbuncle that was never needed and is unsurprisingly going to be empty and costing the council millions for years. Would be ridiculous if they oppose the new stadium.
As for green belt land. They built a massive office complex directly across the road, in the shire, and are planning a redevelopment further back down the road to kingswells. Farce

Personally I think the best location for a new stadium would be at the Harlaw Playing Fields. No idea who owns it, but if it's Harlaw academy surely a cheap purchase deal could be struck with free use of the facilities in return? Of course, the nimbys would be out in full force for that one as well!