car leasing

• 2 months later...
58 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Seen a car at vanarama considering getting. Anyone dealt with them?

Main worry I have is what sort of charges you get for any slight damage.

All lease companies can be brutal in trying to get money out of you at the end of the lease.

I had an interesting wee experience yesterday.  My existing car goes back soon and I had to take my private registration off, one screw wouldn't come out so I asked a guy who runs a body shop next to my place for a hand.  Long story short, I mentioned the damage to my alloys and commented that I'd probably get charged for them.  He looked at them and said it was corrosion not scuffing and I should get my local dealership to confirm this before the car gets its pre-return inspection.

If not for that chance discussion I may have ended up paying a couple of hundred pounds.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

All lease companies can be brutal in trying to get money out of you at the end of the lease.

I had an interesting wee experience yesterday.  My existing car goes back soon and I had to take my private registration off, one screw wouldn't come out so I asked a guy who runs a body shop next to my place for a hand.  Long story short, I mentioned the damage to my alloys and commented that I'd probably get charged for them.  He looked at them and said it was corrosion not scuffing and I should get my local dealership to confirm this before the car gets its pre-return inspection.

If not for that chance discussion I may have ended up paying a couple of hundred pounds.

Until recently I always (for the last 16 years or so) leased cars or did pcp deals. I never once did the hand back thing you describe. I always simply traded them in to a garage. They'd simply pay a fair trade in price and clear the finance. Just means you don't risk being stung on mileage, or the damage versus wear and tear stuff you describe under the strict lease terms.

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Until recently I always (for the last 16 years or so) leased cars or did pcp deals. I never once did the hand back thing you describe. I always simply traded them in to a garage. They'd simply pay a fair trade in price and clear the finance. Just means you don't risk being stung on mileage, or the damage versus wear and tear stuff you describe under the strict lease terms.

No mine's is a lease deal.  You pay X deposit which includes your first month, Y per month for another 23 months then hand the car back.  If you go over the prescribed mileage, 10k per annum in my case, you pay extra for each mile.  Not handing the car back is not an option.  What you had sounds a different sort of deal altogether.

I like leasing.  If you want/need a new car and want to change it every couple of years it's far better than buying and trading in.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No mine's is a lease deal.  You pay X deposit which includes your first month, Y per month for another 23 months then hand the car back.  If you go over the prescribed mileage, 10k per annum in my case, you pay extra for each mile.  Not handing the car back is not an option.  What you had sounds a different sort of deal altogether.

I like leasing.  If you want/need a new car and want to change it every couple of years it's far better than buying and trading in.

You're being a goody two-shoes. The finance company owns the car and you or any garage/new finance company can simply call them, get a settlement figure at any time for what they'd want for the car and you can take it from there, bypassing the whole end of lease process set out in the original agreement (which will stipulate mileage, condition etc).

9 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

You're being a goody two-shoes. The finance company owns the car and you or any garage/new finance company can simply call them, get a settlement figure at any time for what they'd want for the car and you can take it from there, bypassing the whole end of lease process set out in the original agreement (which will stipulate mileage, condition etc).

My car is not owned by a finance company, it is owned by Mercedes Corporate.  I previously had an E class that I leased for two years then bought one that I kept for two years.  The buying option cost significantly more over the period, it was a pain in the arse to sell as I wasn't trading it in and I had a huge chunk of cash tied up that could have been earning me money.

Maybe when I retire I would go back to outright ownership but until then it will be lease deals for me.

On Wed Jan 04 2017 at 14:44, Honest Saints Fan said:

My car lease is up in a few months and beginning to look for a new car. Anyone ever used Jet Vehicle Finance. Found a deal with them that sounds too good to be true! 

As an update I've taken out a new lease and used Jet Vehicle Finance who have been great so far. Car gets delivered in 2 weeks. 

Now my current lease has started making a squeaking noise when the steering turns, better not be anything serious :unsure: as it's going back in 3 weeks. 

You are talking about PCP, which is similar but not the same as leasing. I've got both of my cars on PCP and can't see me buying outright unless my financial situation changes dramatically.

• 3 years later...