Greenock Morton 2014/2015 Thread

Not sure how this next season will go. We only have 4 players under contract and 2 aren't very good.

Rumour going around today that Shiels has resigned after Saturday's humiliation. If true it will mean another summer of a full squad being signed.

We are to remain full-time again which will help us to bounce straight back up. But as we found out this season, the part-time teams have all been very well organised and hard to break down.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how this next season will go. We only have 4 players under contract and 2 aren't very good.

Rumour going around today that Shiels has resigned after Saturday's humiliation. If true it will mean another summer of a full squad being signed.

We are to remain full-time again which will help us to bounce straight back up. But as we found out this season, the part-time teams have all been very well organised and hard to break down.

'Bounce straight back?' That might interesting cause rangers had to spend / squander £67 million to get out of this league. Does Morton have that kind of money?

'Bounce straight back?' That might interesting cause rangers had to spend / squander £67 million to get out of this league. Does Morton have that kind of money?

I'm by no means saying we'll win the league, but being full time in this league should help.

Let's be serious guys. Being full time means you will win this league. Be it by 5 points or by 50 points,

Part time teams may pull off the odd result against you but over the course of a season being full time really makes the difference. You've only got to look at Livingston, QOS, Dunfermline etc over the last few seasons to see that.

Let's be serious guys. Being full time means you will win this league. Be it by 5 points or by 50 points,

Part time teams may pull off the odd result against you but over the course of a season being full time really makes the difference. You've only got to look at Livingston, QOS, Dunfermline etc over the last few seasons to see that.

Yeah, but we're a farce of a club. Get this managerial appointment right and we will be clear favourites if we're the only full-time team - close favourites with Dunfermline if they stay down - but get it wrong and it's not at all hard to see us struggling, failing to go up, going part-time then following the Clyde trajectory. This is the most important managerial appointment Rae's had to make.

I'd like to see us keep Gaston, O'Ware, Russell, O'Brien, Imrie and Campbell of the out of contract players, but I fully expect Gaston and Imrie to have offers from Championship clubs.

Yeah, but we're a farce of a club. Get this managerial appointment right and we will be clear favourites if we're the only full-time team - close favourites with Dunfermline if they stay down - but get it wrong and it's not at all hard to see us struggling, failing to go up, going part-time then following the Clyde trajectory. This is the most important managerial appointment Rae's had to make.

I'd like to see us keep Gaston, O'Ware, Russell, O'Brien, Imrie and Campbell of the out of contract players, but I fully expect Gaston and Imrie to have offers from Championship clubs.

Is old Dougie part of the problem? Shiels seemed a very odd choice and sanctioning signings of guys like Novo and O'Connor seemed a pretty outdated policy.

There's every chance we'll still be around so it could be a good scrap at the top next year.

So, our current squad going into next season is as follows:

GK

Iker Casillas

DF

Sergio Ramos

Mats Hummels

Pepe

Dani Alves

MF

Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi

Yaya Toure

ST

Cristiano Ronaldo

Luis Suarez

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

At least the new boss will be able to bring in his own players for next season...

Then I woke up...

Is old Dougie part of the problem? Shiels seemed a very odd choice and sanctioning signings of guys like Novo and O'Connor seemed a pretty outdated policy.

There's every chance we'll still be around so it could be a good scrap at the top next year.

He's never had as much criticism aimed at him from the support as this season, but many, probably the majority, still support him. When it comes to managers, Rae's been here 13 years, we're about to go onto our ninth and none of the previous eight have been big successes so it's hard to have much confidence in this going well.

" morten" bants or non-bants?

Undeniably hilarious at first. People entering threads now and building up to saying it as if they were the first one to think of it, utter cringe. So still fair dos to do it, but people throwing it out there now and expecting acclaim as if they are comic geniuses, shit bants.

You've only got to look at Morton taking 4 fucking years to get out of it the last time.

We need to get this managerial appointment right, The new manager is going to need to come into a squad of players he has no idea about and decide who he might want to offer contracts to and who he wants to let go*. He then needs to build a whole new squad to get us out of this league and get them to gel in time for the start of the season.

*Rumour is that Shiels offered the whole squad new contracts for this season except Robertson & Verlaque. Hope fully this is not true.

Hi Morton, I'm sad we won't get to play you next season. At least you'll have Dunfermline to keep you company though.

I'm gutted at missing out on Hearts.

And Hibs/Killie should they crash in the play-off final.

Happy to be missing out on playing The Sevco, though (assuming you're still here).

The thought of bigoted hoardes filling our ground is not one I relish.

Archived