The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

That was my first thought as well. The Hummel effort was far from a great example but makes the current thing look like what it is: a terrible example of a football shirt.

I bought two of the new kits too for the kids as they were supposed to be mascots at the end of August but they dont want to do it, got well shafted!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys.

The st Mirren youth academy seems to be getting a lot of plaudits on this thread. It begs the questions:

Why are you pinning your survival on a guy pushing 40? Are there no good young strikers at the academy?

No, they're all pish. Like your posts.

Hi guys.

The st Mirren youth academy seems to be getting a lot of plaudits on this thread. It begs the questions:

Why are you pinning your survival on a guy pushing 40? Are there no good young strikers at the academy?

Some fantastic young strikers in the under 14's. Maybe see one or two feature this season if Thommo is injured.

It's a serious question. I like Thompson but you can't expect a guy that age to play a whole season AND be your top scorer again. Was he not complaining about lack of another striker at the end of last season? You've signed Threepwood or whatever his name is from a pub team down south but surely there's a youth player or two ready to get involved?

Why not though?

Everyone thought last season was a bridge too far for him.

He'll probably still be playing for us and finishing top scorer when he's in his mid 60's.

For what it's worth I always sort of liked the guy, and fair play to him for taking up the chance to play his final years at a club he supported as a boy, but I have to admit I thought he had only grabbed a couple of goals last season - after all he was hardly prolific at Burnley. I was surprised to see he was well into double figures.

However the Aberdeen fan is making a bit of a fool of himself here, after all Thompson scored the same number of goals as their top scorer - who is nearly 9 years younger.

vjp8XgO.png

Yet, Aberdeen have just signed Goodwillie, a player who hasn't amassed a goal count of 13 in the last 3 years combined.

For what it's worth I always sort of liked the guy, and fair play to him for taking up the chance to play his final years at a club he supported as a boy, but I have to admit I thought he had only grabbed a couple of goals last season - after all he was hardly prolific at Burnley. I was surprised to see he was well into double figures.

However the Aberdeen fan is making a bit of a fool of himself here, after all Thompson scored the same number of goals as their top scorer - who is nearly 9 years younger.

vjp8XgO.png

Yet, Aberdeen have just signed Goodwillie, a player who hasn't amassed a goal count of 13 in the last 3 years combined.

Good point.

Fans of other clubs were telling us Steven Thompson was past it when he signed three years ago. Three consecutive fifteen goal seasons and a cup win later, we're still hearing it.

If Thompson stays fit - and an injury hasn't kept him out of a game in 3 years - then he will score at least 15 goals again next season.

His game isn't based on pace, but on experience, nous and positional sense. Because of this target men like him often play their best football well into their 30's. Add to that Thommo was never a regular first team starter for any of his three teams between Dundee United and us, he's not burned out like many players his age, he's still got plenty left in the tank.

I think he has two full productive seasons left at this level, perhaps even more.

Good point.

Fans of other clubs were telling us Steven Thompson was past it when he signed three years ago. Three consecutive fifteen goal seasons and a cup win later, we're still hearing it.

If Thompson stays fit - and an injury hasn't kept him out of a game in 3 years - then he will score at least 15 goals again next season.

His game isn't based on pace, but on experience, nous and positional sense. Because of this target men like him often play their best football well into their 30's. Add to that Thommo was never a regular first team starter for any of his three teams between Dundee United and us, he's not burned out like many players his age, he's still got plenty left in the tank.

I think he has two full productive seasons left at this level, perhaps even more.

This season if he stays fit will mean he ends his career having played more games for us than any other team too - he's like Craig Brewster, getting better as he gets older, maturing like the beautiful fine wine he is.

Thompson will probably end up as my favourite ever Saints player (he hasn't quite dislodged Barry Lavety from that slot) but I do feel we're dangerously reliant on him for goals. You could argue that about other sides (Killie and Boyd last season for example) but for most of those clubs the player in question isn't in his mid 30s when players are more likely to pick up injuries and then take longer to recover from them. We've been incredibly fortunate on that front so far and I wouldn't like to see us push our luck by not having a suitable alternative - even in the physical presence stakes if not in ability. Putting aside comments on his ability Caldwell seems to be another wee guy which is a bit worrying if he's the final forward that comes in. Would also like to see us go with a two a bit more often next season - would make things a bit more unpredictable for other teams and would also lessen the load on Thompson a bit. Judging by his comments in the papers he feels the same.

It's a shame that, Reilly aside, we don't seem to have any other young strikers who are anywhere near the first team as they'd learn a huge amount working with Thompson in training. On a side note about the youngsters while it's great to see a few more in the first team squad I hope they're there because they are decent or have potential and not just because they're cheap. I'm fully expecting lots of "We had eight kids in the squad" type comments this season but that's not much use if the players in question aren't up to it and show no signs of ever being able to cut it. Aside from the names I don't know much about the new lads that have been promoted so please don't think I'm writing them off - although no doubt some fuckwits will if they play five minutes in a friendly and aren't worldbeaters.

Thompson will probably end up as my favourite ever Saints player (he hasn't quite dislodged Barry Lavety from that slot) but I do feel we're dangerously reliant on him for goals. You could argue that about other sides (Killie and Boyd last season for example) but for most of those clubs the player in question isn't in his mid 30s when players are more likely to pick up injuries and then take longer to recover from them. We've been incredibly fortunate on that front so far and I wouldn't like to see us push our luck by not having a suitable alternative - even in the physical presence stakes if not in ability. Putting aside comments on his ability Caldwell seems to be another wee guy which is a bit worrying if he's the final forward that comes in. Would also like to see us go with a two a bit more often next season - would make things a bit more unpredictable for other teams and would also lessen the load on Thompson a bit. Judging by his comments in the papers he feels the same.

It's a shame that, Reilly aside, we don't seem to have any other young strikers who are anywhere near the first team as they'd learn a huge amount working with Thompson in training. On a side note about the youngsters while it's great to see a few more in the first team squad I hope they're there because they are decent or have potential and not just because they're cheap. I'm fully expecting lots of "We had eight kids in the squad" type comments this season but that's not much use if the players in question aren't up to it and show no signs of ever being able to cut it. Aside from the names I don't know much about the new lads that have been promoted so please don't think I'm writing them off - although no doubt some fuckwits will if they play five minutes in a friendly and aren't worldbeaters.

Thomas Reilly is shite.

I thought Jon McShane looked like he was a proper striker but he ended up as bad as the rest of the strikers we bring through.

Aye I thought he'd do a job as well - scored a fair amount in his loan spells but has done sod all after that.

We really struggle to bring through strikers - we've had loads of midfielders (both McGinns, McLean, Lappin), some defenders (McAusland, Naismith, Kelly and even a goalie in Chris Smith but we're poor for strikers. Reilly was the first striker we've produced that scored for the first team since McKenna - and before that you're probably going as far back as McGarry or Lavety!

So I'd make our top two priorities now right mid and central defence. And if there's any of the budget left over some cover in central midfield and up top.

Have to say our starting XI at the moment doesn't look that bad, especially in midfield.

Aye I thought he'd do a job as well - scored a fair amount in his loan spells but has done sod all after that.

We really struggle to bring through strikers - we've had loads of midfielders (both McGinns, McLean, Lappin), some defenders (McAusland, Naismith, Kelly and even a goalie in Chris Smith but we're poor for strikers. Reilly was the first striker we've produced that scored for the first team since McKenna - and before that you're probably going as far back as McGarry or Lavety!

Chris Smith ? FFS :lol::lol::lol:

Chris Smith ? FFS :lol::lol::lol:

He actually looked alright when he broke into the team in the first division. Back in the days of loads of clean sheets at home.

His first season in the SPL he was also alright, but he's always going to be remembered for the mistakes in the heavy defeats.

Chris Smith was a decent enough keeper at the time. His kicking was terrible but he never looked too bad apart from that.

Last season we were light in attack with McGowan being poor and Harkins being awful since he wasn't in a Dundee shirt, we did have an over-reliance on Thommo.

Hopefully Marwood will help lighten the load. Baffles me that we haven't sent Thomas Riley out to a Championship / L1 side and just keep him on the bench all the time.

Archived