Speeding tickets

No Idea where the camera was, but outside rush hour it's not usually that busy, especially around lunchtime on a Sunday. You're not thinking of the Young Street Bridge? Friars Bridge is the one that takes you from the Kenneth St roundabout towards the Longman.

Sorry.... You're right. I was thinking of Young St/Ness Bridge.

I can understand you getting up to 40mph+ on the Kenneth St/Longman one.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No there's no limit. In theory you could build up enough offences to be banned by driving at 80 mph from Aberdeen to Dundee.

But surely if you did that, you were only speeding once?

I honestly don't know if I was driving or my sister. We're talking about a Sunday lunchtime more than two months ago. I could also get done like Vicky Pryce for taking the points when it was actually my sister driving. Going to ask Police Scotland why they were nearly 2 months late in sending out the notice, and for the photos which may identify who was driving.

You could try saying that it could have been either of you that was driving and make them sort it out.

What's the script if you genuinely don't know who was driving, I take it you have to prove this in court?

Yes. You need to show that after "reasonable diligence" you could not identify who was driving. It's a very high bar - they expect a forensic investigation into what you and any other potential driver was doing that day.

In Scotland, there is the option of going unsigned. Basically, you complete the form, identifying yourself as the driver, but not signing it. There is a price, though. You need to avoid the police for 6 months, because they will come knocking to issue you with a verbal NIP which you cannot fail to respond to.

There's more details on the Pepipoo website. To be honest, if you've got a clean licence and 6 points doesn't make much difference, I don't think it's worth it.

Another perfect example of my stunning all-round lack of knowledge.

You should try the Guardian Daily Quiz - that really showcases examples of stunning all-round lack of knowledge...

No Idea where the camera was, but outside rush hour it's not usually that busy, especially around lunchtime on a Sunday. You're not thinking of the Young Street Bridge? Friars Bridge is the one that takes you from the Kenneth St roundabout towards the Longman.

Camera van usually parks up on the wide bit of pavement opposite the Aldi side.

• 1 year later...

I've been pulled over twice recently for doing around 35-40 in 30s, just warnings both times. Over 40 and you'd definitely get a ticket.

As far as the NIPs go, you can request to see the images to ID the driver, you'd be best to do that and then you'll know for sure. Lying about it or trying to avoid the issue is far more hassle than it's worth and could lead to more serious consequences.

I'd definitely enquire about the time it took them to serve the NIP though. When I got ticketed in Inverness in about 2004 the ticket was through my door in Perth two days later.

Seen a programme on speeding on 1 of the council tele channels.

1st bit was hilarious with some wee village that was desperate for a speed camera but we're refused so a few of the locals stand in the road with a speed radar gun and if they catch you they send you a "sternly worded letter" :lol::lol::lol:

The 2nd bit I seen the police were showing what happens when folk caught speeding try to get away with it.

1 guy caught speeding in his 4×4 had 2 police cars call at his home in a dawn raid and he spent the day in the cells.

He'd claimed it wasn't him driving but the person he had blamed was dead.

Thought it was heavy handed for a speeding ticket of £100 and 3 points

yeh but at that point its an attempt to pervert the course of justice which theoretically can be heard at the high court, i take your point about perception but surely if he paid the fine or at least contested it at the jp court he wouldnt be in that situation?

The policeman was flabbergasted at what people will do to avoid the 3 points.

I get that he's trying to pervert the course of justice but a dawn raid with 2 cars to arrest him????

You could probably phone the police for a real crime and be lucky if they send out 1.

• 1 year later...
On 4 April 2016 at 16:02, Gaz FFC said:

Seen a programme on speeding on 1 of the council tele channels.

1st bit was hilarious with some wee village that was desperate for a speed camera but we're refused so a few of the locals stand in the road with a speed radar gun and if they catch you they send you a "sternly worded letter" :lol::lol::lol:

The 2nd bit I seen the police were showing what happens when folk caught speeding try to get away with it.

1 guy caught speeding in his 4×4 had 2 police cars call at his home in a dawn raid and he spent the day in the cells.

He'd claimed it wasn't him driving but the person he had blamed was dead.

Thought it was heavy handed for a speeding ticket of £100 and 3 points

Effin Police State

Archived