Speeding tickets

51 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

I've seen a number of people on Facebook post stuff about the new speeding punishments.  However I was wondering if they apply to the whole of the UK or just England & Wales?

This BBC article explicitly states England & Wales http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39686894

Other articles seem to suggest it is UK wide. 

Well why not nip into your motor and bomb down the A90 at 105mph and you can let us know?

You can offset the potential fine by attaching one of those "How's my driving?" stickers with a premium rate phone number. 

edit: What happened with your speeding ticket(s) @welshbairn ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Scotland the fixed speed cameras are set in a 30mph zone not to flash unless u are at 41mph or above, think the 50mph are set at 59mph. Feel free to test out that theory. Was told this by an ex traffic cop however Iv never had the balls to tank it by a camera to check.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

In Scotland the fixed speed cameras are set in a 30mph zone not to flash unless u are at 41mph or above, think the 50mph are set at 59mph. Feel free to test out that theory. Was told this by an ex traffic cop however Iv never had the balls to tank it by a camera to check.

They definitely flash at 82 in a 60 if that helps.

15 hours ago, Johnny Däpp said:

I was reading this last night, I believe it is England and Wales only. I actually quite like the new changes but it is unclear is the 10% + 2mph margin will be finished??

As far as I am aware it goes as follows...

For England & Wales

30mph Limit

Band A 31 - 40 :: 3 Points or Speed Awareness Day :: 25 - 75% of Weekly Wage
Band B 41 - 50 :: 4 - 6 Points or 7 - 28 Day Disqualification :: 75 - 125% of Weekly Wage
Band C 51 and above :: 6 Points or 7 - 56 Disqualification :: 125% - 175% of Weekly Wage

40mph Limit

Band A 41 - 50 :: 3 Points or Speed Awareness Day :: 25 - 75% of Weekly Wage
Band B 51 - 60 :: 4 - 6 Points or 7 - 28 Day Disqualification :: 75 - 125% of Weekly Wage
Band C 61 and above :: 6 Points or 7 - 56 Disqualification :: 125% - 175% of Weekly Wage

50mph Limit

Band A 51 - 60 :: 3 Points or Speed Awareness Day :: 25 - 75% of Weekly Wage
Band B 61 - 70 :: 4 - 6 Points or 7 - 28 Day Disqualification :: 75 - 125% of Weekly Wage
Band C 71 and above :: 6 Points or 7 - 56 Disqualification :: 125% - 175% of Weekly Wage

60mph Limit

Band A 61 - 70 :: 3 Points or Speed Awareness Day :: 25 - 75% of Weekly Wage
Band B 71 - 80 :: 4 - 6 Points or 7 - 28 Day Disqualification :: 75 - 125% of Weekly Wage
Band C 81 and above :: 6 Points or 7 - 56 Disqualification :: 125% - 175% of Weekly Wage

70mph Limit

Band A 71 - 80 :: 3 Points or Speed Awareness Day :: 25 - 75% of Weekly Wage
Band B 81 - 90 :: 4 - 6 Points or 7 - 28 Day Disqualification :: 75 - 125% of Weekly Wage
Band C 91 and above :: 6 Points or 7 - 56 Disqualification :: 125% - 175% of Weekly Wage

For Scotland

I have been researching this and it is very unclear. The Police do tend to give a margin of 10% + 2mph but they are within their rights to prosecute if they are 1mph over. If caught by a fixed camera going within that threshold it is known for the Police to send a "friendly letter" to advise the motorist to keep it keen, but it is also known for drivers to be given fixed penalty offers for going speeds less than the threshold though I am unaware of the conviction rate for drivers who decline the offer and wait for court. What I will add is this, the Police have 6 months to summon you to court after the offence, if they fail to do this within that timescale, it is pretty much thrown out. I have escaped a couple of fines because of this however I will add that I planned on defending the charge in court, not trying to dodge it.

Scottish Police cannot offer a fixed penalty for speeds of 20mph more than the speed limit, they have to refer it to the Procurator Fiscal who will then look to summon you to court within 6 months, often enough a plea can be accepted by letter unless the PF want to push for a personal appearance. I will always suggest making a personal appearance as it is always better to state your reasons (even if guilty) in person. If you plead Not Guilty then you will invited in person to attend a trial.

In Scotland there is no offer of the Speed Awareness Course which I personally think is shocking on 2 parts, it shows it's an easy money grab for the Government, but it also doesn't educate the driver, it just pisses them off. 

---

*Disclaimer

Unfortunately I have had a colourful driving history, this isn't helped by the fact I do around 60k a year, some years have breached 100k, therefore I have been into bother more times than I would have liked, the pinnacle eventually was a 6 month driving ban, 18 months after successfully winning an Exceptional Hardship case to keep my license on 13 points. I have never been represented in court but over the last 7 years I have researched and took advice from an old mate who is a Road Traffic Lawyer. 
Everything above is to the best of my knowledge and something I am more than comfortable in passing on said advice.

Lastly, those 6 months were the longest 6 months of my life and since then (4 years) I have not collected a single point due to me calming it down and actually sticking to limits now.

Speeding only attracts attention. You'll get more bodies disposed of by driving sensibly.

Just told the wife about the percentage of weekly wage fine to which she replied "I don't agree with it". I explained to her that a £200 fixed penalty is more severe on someone earning £300 per week than someone earning £1000 per week but she insists "At least they're still being fined the same amount".

I don't know this woman anymore.

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Just told the wife about the percentage of weekly wage fine to which she replied "I don't agree with it". I explained to her that a £200 fixed penalty is more severe on someone earning £300 per week than someone earning £1000 per week but she insists "At least they're still being fined the same amount".

I don't know this woman anymore.

I don't mind it if it's not capped. The fact it is means the wealthy pay a smaller percentage than you or I.

Archived