Speeding tickets

Just got two today from the same camera in Inverness, the first at 11.51, the second at 13.06, both on February 23rd. I was on Friar's Bridge, a dual carriage way with a 30 mph limit, 41 mph for the first one and 44 mph for the second. A couple (or so) questions for any legal bods out there, or anyone who's had a similar experience.

1) I thought they had to notify you within 14 days?

2) It would have been me or my sister in the car, not a clue who. Can I get copies of the pictures?

3) Any chances of bargaining them down to 3 points instead of 6?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got two today from the same camera in Inverness, the first at 11.51, the second at 13.06, both on February 23rd. I was on Friar's Bridge, a dual carriage way with a 30 mph limit, 41 mph for the first one and 44 mph for the second. A couple (or so) questions for any legal bods out there, or anyone who's had a similar experience.

1) I thought they had to notify you within 14 days?

2) It would have been me or my sister in the car, not a clue who. Can I get copies of the pictures?

3) Any chances of bargaining them down to 3 points instead of 6?

1. Yes, but there are exemptions. Moved address recently, not registered to you (Lease car, company car, hire car then it has to get to whoever it is registered to within 14 days)

2. Yes you can get the pictures for identification purposes, however it is your responsibility to declare who was driving.

3. If you go to court it may be possible to use an argument, based on if someone had stopped me I'd have known the limit and not done it again the same day, but I don't really know if they'd go for it.

Isn't the onus on them to prove who was driving? I may be wrong, and I am a station or two past tipsy, but I'm sure I read that somewhere, and not in the Sport.

Nope, not for speeding tickets. It's the registered keepers responsibility to declare who is driving their vehicle. If you don't own up, you get a bigger fine and points for not naming anyone.

Nope, not for speeding tickets. It's the registered keepers responsibility to declare who is driving their vehicle. If you don't own up, you get a bigger fine and points for not naming anyone.

Another perfect example of my stunning all-round lack of knowledge.

1. Yes, but there are exemptions. Moved address recently..

I thought when I had to renew my driving license in 2012 and informed them of my new address that it would do it with my car too, but apparently not. So the DVLA were informed officially of my new address in October last year when I paid my road tax. Is 4/5 months enough to invalidate the NIP?

Thanks. Is there a limit to how many points you can get from one journey? You could lose your license in 200 yds if there's enough cameras. If it was cops only it would be 3pts. And if it was cops instead of cameras I or my sister certainly wouldn't have committed the same offence an hour later.

In Inverness it can change from 70 to 50 to 40 to 30 within a couple of hundred yards. You're quite right though, I just want to find out if me or my sister can get off. 6 points in an hour for travelling 40 odd on a dual carriageway seems a bit harsh.

I got done on the A9 in 1990, 84 in a 60 around by Kingussie 75 pound fine, 3 points. Sinse then I've been very conscious of limits!

I got done there in January. It`s my second lot of three points. My first lot just came off my license in December last year. I should blame my subconsious for my speeding, but it could probably be argued that it really should be my consious state that is in control of the car.

Suck it up and accept the points. Maybe you will be a better driver for it. A colleague of mine tried all sorts to get out of accepting his points until the court decided they would take his car from him. Quickly accepted.

Of course you need to be careful if you claim someone else was driving. Didn't an ex MP and his former Wife recently get jailed for that.

I got my first ever racing for the Stena boat in November.

250 fine and 4 points.

OP, after a wee search online it does look like you have a challenge to them.

Type in, speeding ticket notification.

There's a Site called Pepopoo, something like that, where they know their stuff.

They give examples of the letter you need to write.

How could you get done for speeding on that bridge? It's only about 300yds from end to end with traffic lights at both ends. It's usually always busy with traffic inching along nose to tail at most times through the day.

I don't think I've ever driven on that bridge at anywhere near 30 mph. Were you driving something that can do 0-60 in about 3 seconds?

Eta... Where was the camera?

How could you get done for speeding on that bridge? It's only about 300yds from end to end with traffic lights at both ends. It's usually always busy with traffic inching along nose to tail at most times through the day.

I don't think I've ever driven on that bridge at anywhere near 30 mph. Were you driving something that can do 0-60 in about 3 seconds?

Eta... Where was the camera?

No Idea where the camera was, but outside rush hour it's not usually that busy, especially around lunchtime on a Sunday. You're not thinking of the Young Street Bridge? Friars Bridge is the one that takes you from the Kenneth St roundabout towards the Longman.

Thanks. Is there a limit to how many points you can get from one journey? You could lose your license in 200 yds if there's enough cameras. If it was cops only it would be 3pts. And if it was cops instead of cameras I or my sister certainly wouldn't have committed the same offence an hour later.

No there's no limit. In theory you could build up enough offences to be banned by driving at 80 mph from Aberdeen to Dundee.

I would, to invoke the spirit of Ad Lib, strongly recommend you are honest about taking the points if you were driving. Otherwise you can be done for perverting the course of justice with a commensurate jail sentence.

6 points, if it's your first 6, won't really impact your insurance.

No there's no limit. In theory you could build up enough offences to be banned by driving at 80 mph from Aberdeen to Dundee.

I would, to invoke the spirit of Ad Lib, strongly recommend you are honest about taking the points if you were driving. Otherwise you can be done for perverting the course of justice with a commensurate jail sentence.

6 points, if it's your first 6, won't really impact your insurance.

I honestly don't know if I was driving or my sister. We're talking about a Sunday lunchtime more than two months ago. I could also get done like Vicky Pryce for taking the points when it was actually my sister driving. Going to ask Police Scotland why they were nearly 2 months late in sending out the notice, and for the photos which may identify who was driving.

I honestly don't know if I was driving or my sister. We're talking about a Sunday lunchtime more than two months ago. I could also get done like Vicky Pryce for taking the points when it was actually my sister driving. Going to ask Police Scotland why they were nearly 2 months late in sending out the notice, and for the photos which may identify who was driving.

Sensible approach. To get done for PTCOJ it would have to be proven that you deliberately lied about who was driving, so I suspect you'd be ok.

Do you or your sister have any points now?

Edit - caveat: I'm not a lawyer!

Archived