Who is the worst manager your club have ever had?

Much as I detest Tommy Campbell, I honestly think we were worse under Jim Weir.

The defeat at Irvine Meadow sums him up for me. I can't remember one redeeming feature from that game.

No danger, we were much worse, in the 1st part of that season under John McGlashan, was Irvine not his 1st game, It was Campbell by a mile

Edited by ecto

Ayr United have been cursed with some absolutely dreadful managers in my time following them.

As for the worst, take your pick from Campbell Money, Mark Shanks, Robert Connor, Neil Watt and Gordon Dalziel.

He's an arse and should have achieved more with the money he had, but you've got to be out of your mind to suggest the only manager to get us to a cup final in our history (and two other semis) could be our worst manager ever.

Edited by oht

1) No danger, we were much worse, in the 1st part of that season under John McGlashan,

2) was Irvine not his 1st game,

3) It was Campbell by a mile

1) Campbell took over from John Brogan in Dec '96. We were much worse in the first part of that season too

2) Irvine was Weir's 3rd game in charge and his first defeat. We didn't win again until the middle of February.

3) Campbell had a worse league record than Weir (they both lost a similar number of games, but Campbell had more draws & fewer wins), but in the Cup, at least Campbell beat Spartans (over 2 matches) and drew at home with Morton before losing the replay at Cappielow.

However, I would suggest that even though we were terrible under both, we played slightly more attractive football under Campbell than we did under Weir. There haven't been that many games over the years where I've been so bored that I just wanted the game to end, but Weir produced a good few of them in his short time in charge.

Edited to add: If you base it purely on W/D/L records, wouldn't Jocky Scott be the worst?

Edited by lichtgilphead

Jackie Stewart and Bill Munro did not exactly have glittering spells as manager of the old Airdrieonians. Remember in particular giving Stewart pelters.

Crikey, you are old! But maybe not as old as me! Stewart is still a legend at Dumbarton. Took us to the top league in 1972 for the first time in 50 years. Munro was amazing at the Bankies. It just shows that there are black arts involved in success and failure. Stewart never had managerial success after the Sons.

I can understand loads of Pars fans nominating Davie Hay (that half-hour being stuck in the car park at McDairmid Park after the Hjarnarfjordur game summed his tenure up - going nowhere slowly in a non-entertaining fashion), but those of us of a certain vintage still shudder at the Pat Stanton/Tam Forsyth "eras" of the early 80's - although 2 good things did come out of these times: Norrie McCathie and Jim Leishman's managerial appointment.

I assume most of those who post here are too young to remember Jocky Scott? 5 at the back at home against a relegated Cowdenbeath. 0-2. Sacked. The man was a dour, uninspiring, negative c**t of a manager.

Kenny/Hay don't even come close, kids.

I'm surprised that we still get numbers we do frankly. Those who don't go are the sensible ones I often feel. Luckily the club is moving in the right direction now and realises that the fans are the core of it and are treating us much better, but there is still a massive amount of work to do to try and undo the way fans were treated before.

You've ruined a sensible & well thought out argument with this utter pish.

Edited by da_no_1

He's an arse and should have achieved more with the money he had, but you've got to be out of your mind to suggest the only manager to get us to a cup final in our history (and two other semis) could be our worst manager ever.

In that case, I'm out of my mind stark raving bonkers then.

You have to remember that AUFC was " on its knees " when he took over. For me, for profligacy ( 50+ in one season ), including signing a player who had already retired, the Scarlet Proboscis simply has to be the worst manager in my time of supporting Ayr United.

I assume most of those who post here are too young to remember Jocky Scott?

I think Jocky was just a bad appointment. Somehow the board managed to find someone even more dour and uninspiring than Munro. There were no surprises - we got what we expected with him. Flicking the Vs at fans was about par for the course from him.

but those of us of a certain vintage still shudder at the Pat Stanton/Tam Forsyth "eras" of the early 80's - although 2 good things did come out of these times: Norrie McCathie and Jim Leishman's managerial appointment.

Same goes for Bert Paton after Jocky Scott. I didn't know who he was but as soon as I read about him, his passion for the Pars and the fact he was a wee bit mad it felt like there was a connection again between the management and the fans.

Guest honestrae95

Ally McCoist he only got the job through the old boys act and has gone on to be a poultice on Rangers sucking the life out of the club.

Didn't know he had a spell at Girvan.