Bloody Edinburgh trams

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Don't remember if I posted this before.

Was leaving Platform 5 with the Mrs heading towards Morrison street when I heard an unholy noise. Turned round to see a cyclist who had been thundering through the Haymarket road junction lying on the track not moving.

His face where he had been travelling along the ground on it was bleeding bad and looked like he would need surgery to correct.

What a fantastic start to the weekend for the poor chap. 

Eating my dinner later was rather horrific as I kept hearing the noise and the image of his face just lying there.

@Pearbuyerbell

Enjoy! 

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missus twice drove down the tram tracks the other day when trying to collect someone from Waverley. A couple of elderly gents/misogynists made the mistake of pointing out her error to her so got both barrels of her considerable wrath. 

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Don't remember if I posted this before.

Was leaving Platform 5 with the Mrs heading towards Morrison street when I heard an unholy noise. Turned round to see a cyclist who had been thundering through the Haymarket road junction lying on the track not moving.

His face where he had been travelling along the ground on it was bleeding bad and looked like he would need surgery to correct.

What a fantastic start to the weekend for the poor chap. 

Eating my dinner later was rather horrific as I kept hearing the noise and the image of his face just lying there.

Hope you're ok. Sounds like a traumatic experience for you. 

On 10/08/2017 at 01:24, The Ginger Prince said:

Worst thing to happen to Edinburgh these b*****d things.

The fucking bottleneck they cause when turning into south St. Andrews street is nothing more than a total pain in the c**t.

I regularly get stuck at the junctions of Princes Street / South St David Street (?). Far too many lights in a short stretch of road and it isn't helped when a tram comes lumbering down from St Andrew Street onto Princes Street blocking it all up so buses heading east can't move and they block up the rest of the junctions behind them.

I've taken to getting off the bus at Shandwick Place and walking down Princes Street to get onto another one because it's almost always quicker than spending about 30 minutes snarled up in traffic.

The only thing that may help any extention is that some of the diversion work for cables etc should already have been done. But Leith walk was really badly hit and businesses collapsed. Never mind the utter chaos.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

A second hand Chinook costs about £2m and probably £1m a year to run. They could have bought a few of these to ferry folk about and drop them wherever they want instead of £1bil on trams. 

4427467105_35077fa525_o.jpg

When was the last time one of those fucked up a cyclist?

FROM BBC;

The closure of three lanes on Leith Walk would begin when construction on the £165.2m project, if approved, gets under way in 2019.

A business case details extending the line by 2.8 miles (4.6km) from York Place to Newhaven.

Assuming they stay on budget (no laughing at the back of the class),

That is an unbelievable £11,174.24 a foot,

assume the trams to run on it are extra ???

5 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

FROM BBC;

The closure of three lanes on Leith Walk would begin when construction on the £165.2m project, if approved, gets under way in 2019.

A business case details extending the line by 2.8 miles (4.6km) from York Place to Newhaven.

Assuming they stay on budget (no laughing at the back of the class),

That is an unbelievable £11,174.24 a foot,

assume the trams to run on it are extra ???

I thought the extra trams and rails were already paid for and in storage somewhere? If so it makes the cost even more unbelievable.

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I thought the extra trams and rails were already paid for and in storage somewhere? If so it makes the cost even more unbelievable.

The trams definitely are. About 10 of them sit outside the Gogar depot doing nothing every day. This extra £165 million is for all the works to prepare and lay the rails down Leith Walk, by Ocean Terminal then to Newhaven.

From a quick read of the Outline Business Case I see they are also going to move the tram stop currently at York Place to Piccardy Place and redesign the junction there. That area of the city is already chaotic at the best of times let alone with the forthcoming Leith Street closure. And then after all that it's likely going to be altered again to move the tram stop a few yards. By the time it is all done folk around that area will have suffered something like a decade of near continuous road works if not even longer.

The trams definitely are. About 10 of them sit outside the Gogar depot doing nothing every day. This extra £165 million is for all the works to prepare and lay the rails down Leith Walk, by Ocean Terminal then to Newhaven.

From a quick read of the Outline Business Case I see they are also going to move the tram stop currently at York Place to Piccardy Place and redesign the junction there. That area of the city is already chaotic at the best of times let alone with the forthcoming Leith Street closure. And then after all that it's likely going to be altered again to move the tram stop a few yards. By the time it is all done folk around that area will have suffered something like a decade of near continuous road works if not even longer.

Do you have a link to the Business Case?

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I was interested in the financial breakdown. See it's £114 million construction and the rest is to allow for contingencies and inflation.

There was a document issued last year I think that talked about the cost:benefit ratio of the new line. Running it to Ocean Terminal actually had a better cost:benefit ratio than extending the line to Newhaven.

Since I left Uni I've gladly managed to avoid Edinburgh almost entirely. I've never set an eye on one of these fabled trams, let alone a foot. Just....what is the point of them? Is it nostalgia? Auld Betty and her "auld shoogly trams"? What do they do that the buses don't? Genuine questions. Wouldn't say I'm genuinely interested. Mildly curious at best.

Archived