Bloody Edinburgh trams

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They seem to manage in Amsterdam ok, it's just common sense like avoiding drains etc.

^^^ This

I've cycled over tram tracks everyday for the last 16 years, pretty easy really

^^^ This

How do the widths of a tram track compare to the widths of the tyres on your bike? There are obviously varying tyre widths on bikes and thinner ones are more likely to get caught in the tram tracks.

My tyres would get stuck if i crossed the tram tracks at the wrong angle, i learned my lesson very quickly years ago when i crossed them at the wrong angle in the rain and the back tyre slid out ( the tracks can be lethal when wet ) luckily managed to hold it by doing a speedway move and i was rather high at the time.

My bike is a standard Amsterdam one, nothing flashy

Well it's quite a likely thing to happen eventually considering how many cyclists will be near the tram tracks on a daily basis in Edinburgh if all it takes is an approach at the wrong angle. I would imagine the woman would have been a confident and experience cyclists if she was around that area on a bike at that time of the day.

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

^^^ This

Cyclists in Amsterdam can be a pain in the arse, blocking up the pavements with parked bikes and screaming at you if you dare to walk on the cycle lanes.

6 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

Yeah totally, but cycle lanes are for bikes, always amazes me how many tourist think 'oh this is nice they have double pavements here'

Unfortunately cyclists think the pavements are for them too.

I've given up cycling the road bike to work in the city centre. Bus pulled out as I was at the side of it, pushed me to the tram tracks and and that was me jammed in the tracks and over the handle bars. It's not quite as easy to avoid the tracks when the other option is a f**k off bus who's driver didn't look before pulling out.

• 2 months later...

It's going to take them another year to decide whether or not to extend the line down Leith Walk - Ocean Terminal - Newhaven. Trams apparently could run on the extended line by 2022.

https://stv.tv/news/east-central/1395259-edinburgh-tram-line-could-extend-to-newhaven-in-five-years/

Four more years of roadworks down Leith way then :( I don't quite understand the obsession with low car ownership, dense population etc justifying the extension. After Princes Street, Leith Walk must have the highest number of bus routes in the city including some of the most frequent. Will sending the tram down there really help?

Don't remember if I posted this before.

Was leaving Platform 5 with the Mrs heading towards Morrison street when I heard an unholy noise. Turned round to see a cyclist who had been thundering through the Haymarket road junction lying on the track not moving.

His face where he had been travelling along the ground on it was bleeding bad and looked like he would need surgery to correct.

What a fantastic start to the weekend for the poor chap. 

Eating my dinner later was rather horrific as I kept hearing the noise and the image of his face just lying there.

Archived