Bloody Edinburgh trams

People who make a special trip to sit on a fucking crowded sweltering tram on launch day, with no actual journey that they require to make, just so they can say that they did it, thus bragging about probably the most un-bragable thing in the history of the world, are the scum of the earth.* Don't get me fucking started on the #tramselfie #dingding cretinous c***s on twitter.

*P&B posters very much included.

e: <<< seething

I did that. I have a platinum ticket.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went from Ingliston P&R to Haymarket on them today to save going all the way in and fannying about trying to get parked miles from the office. It was a decent run both this morning and this afternoon. Confirmed my earlier thoughts though - few of the stops are commuter orientated (city commuters I mean). Gogarburn (for RBS), Gyle Centre (shops), Edinburgh Park Central and Edinburgh Park railway station (for folk that need to get to the likes of Aegon from the airport); Bankhead (heavily industrialised area); Saughton (almost residential but right opposite some Scottish Govt buildings); Murrayfield (rugby). There's no sense of placing them to best advantage of the community who paid for the fuckers. All that said, I'd cut the time taken to get from the airport to the city by missing out all of the stops that I don't need - so everywhere except the airport, park and ride and haymarket!!

ETA - I also have a "platinum" ticket (after I fished it out of the bucket at the insistence of a colleague). Right enough it's "special edition". Apparently only the first 150,000 tickets will be "platinum". They'll be rarer than hens' teeth before you know it ...

I knew it was a screw up, but not quite how much of one:

The reason for all the unused trams is that they'd already bought them when they halved the size of the network. They'd also paid for all the extra track, so presumably there's 9 miles of it rusting in a pile somewhere. A quick check on Edinburgh Airport's website tells me that the tram takes 5 minutes longer than the bus.

I'm in no doubt that it will be extended down Leith Walk pretty soon. Seems to be the appetite for it already.

Lesley Hinds (Labour Transport Convenor) has her eyes on the Edinburgh Northern and Leith Holyrood seat for the next election (May 2016) so she'll be eager to get it through under her watch.

I knew it was a screw up, but not quite how much of one:

The reason for all the unused trams is that they'd already bought them when they halved the size of the network. They'd also paid for all the extra track, so presumably there's 9 miles of it rusting in a pile somewhere. A quick check on Edinburgh Airport's website tells me that the tram takes 5 minutes longer than the bus.

I think it will be quicker in a month or two ad they are running at a reduced speed at first.

02_pool_supervisor.jpg

On the 31st of May, no one died.

On the 1st of June, no one died.

On the 2nd of June, no one died.

On the 3rd of June, no one died.

It's early yet. Do do, do do, do do beware the killer tram.

Does that count? Surely we need a hospital visit?

A timeline of incidents on Manchester's Metrolink

The incident happened around 6.15pm. A large area around Market Street and High Street near the Arndale Centre has been cordoned off as police launch an investigation into the fatality.

Tom Taylor 1-image-2.jpg
The incident happened near to the Market Street stop in Manchester

A man has died after being hit by a tram in Manchester city centre on Saturday evening.

The incident happened around 6.15pm. A large area around Market Street and High Street near the Arndale Centre has been cordoned off as police launch an investigation into the fatality.

Here's a run-down of previous incidents on Manchester's Metrolink involving pedestrians.

Nov 13, 2013 - A man suffered head injuries after being hit by a tram on Aytoun Street near Minshull Street Crown Court. He was taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary minor bleeding from his head but was later discharged.

Feb 6, 2013 - Grandmother Catherine Kenny, 85, was pronounced dead at the scene after being hit by a tram on Old Road, Failsworth, Oldham.

Sep 10, 2012 - Scott Pendlebury, 23, dragged underneath tram after being hit on Market Street in Manchester city centre but miraculously only suffered cuts and bruises and a broken foot.

Dec 15, 2011 - Blind man Gary Thompson, 33, died after being struck by a tram near St Peters' Square while celebrating his work's Christmas party with colleagues.

Sep 5, 2011 - A 25-year-old woman escaped without serious injury when she was hit by a tram on High Street near the Arndale Centre in Manchester city centre.

Jun 5, 2011 - Pensioner Wang Lau, 67, from Salford, died after stumbling in front of a tram near Piccadilly Gardens. He was rushed to Manchester Royal Infirmary but died four days later.

A timeline of incidents on Manchester's Metrolink

Tom Taylor 1-image-2.jpg
The incident happened near to the Market Street stop in Manchester

A man has died after being hit by a tram in Manchester city centre on Saturday evening.

Here's a run-down of previous incidents on Manchester's Metrolink involving pedestrians.

Nov 13, 2013 - A man suffered head injuries after being hit by a tram on Aytoun Street near Minshull Street Crown Court. He was taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary minor bleeding from his head but was later discharged.

Feb 6, 2013 - Grandmother Catherine Kenny, 85, was pronounced dead at the scene after being hit by a tram on Old Road, Failsworth, Oldham.

Sep 10, 2012 - Scott Pendlebury, 23, dragged underneath tram after being hit on Market Street in Manchester city centre but miraculously only suffered cuts and bruises and a broken foot.

Dec 15, 2011 - Blind man Gary Thompson, 33, died after being struck by a tram near St Peters' Square while celebrating his work's Christmas party with colleagues.

Sep 5, 2011 - A 25-year-old woman escaped without serious injury when she was hit by a tram on High Street near the Arndale Centre in Manchester city centre.

Jun 5, 2011 - Pensioner Wang Lau, 67, from Salford, died after stumbling in front of a tram near Piccadilly Gardens. He was rushed to Manchester Royal Infirmary but died four days later.

Could have been me,ive been to manchester

A good mate of mine got skelped by a tram in Manchester and smashed his femur, resulting in an operation and a metal rod screwed into his leg. His injuries made the national news at the time.

It's almost karma for being there in the first place to support rangers in the Uefa cup final.

Here's the big question nobody is asking:

Why hasn't the Scottish government sued the contractor?

With the money they get back they could replace the royal infirmary in edinburgh with an actual hospital.

With the money they get back they could replace the royal infirmary in edinburgh with an actual hospital.

Basically, I think the original contract was so loosely / badly drafted by City of Edinburgh / Holyrood that it left BilfingerBergerSiemens with acres of room for manouevre / claims and they took full advantage. I also suspect a backroom deal would have been done to avoid the involvement of m'learned friends which, as Mozz has stated above, would have cost a feckin' fortune.

The SNP led Scotttish Government was quite happy to leave the Labour led Edinburgh Council who signed the contracts all responsibility, and refused to do anything to sort it out when they took power. Nobody comes well out of it, but the SNP's "nothing to do with us" claim is a bit lame.

The SNP led Scotttish Government was quite happy to leave the Labour led Edinburgh Council who signed the contracts all responsibility, and refused to do anything to sort it out when they took power. Nobody comes well out of it, but the SNP's "nothing to do with us" claim is a bit lame.

You do realise of course that the snp werent in power when everything was signed and only when they came into power they sorted it out

But do crack on

Archived