The Alloa Athletic Thread

4 hours ago, Waspie said:

Fitness thing was interesting too, think you could see him getting fitter and also developing as a footballer over the years. 

Absolutely spot on, year on year at Alloa you could see that upward trend in his overall fitness. Paul Hartley was almost obsessed with this aspect at Alloa and you could see the difference it made to Sparky even between his first and second season. In 2012/13 he would run up and down the left all game for us. I thought it was a big mistake releasing him. He clearly embraced the fitness aspect though, looking after himself and when he returned to the club he was better for it.

This helped his versatility, and allowed him to play in a more demanding central role when required. In the games against Rangers for example, he was absolutely terrific in the 3 2 win. And when we drew 2 2 at Ibrox he was charging into everything like he owned the place.

Even now Sparky is a player I would have at Alloa. Last season he ran the show against us for East Fife at New Bayview in centre midfield, helped slightly by Hetherington being forced to switch to left back admittedly. A brilliant player who deserves his place as a firm favourite amongst supporters.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

On that note we could really do with some good signings soon. We were always going to need some really strong additions to just be competitive. As it stands, we are considerably weaker than the team that won the play-offs. Have to hope the gaffer has a few good signings lined up.

Yeah, we certainly are at the moment. I'm hoping that's because Goody is waiting to see which full time players who are looking for a full time contract end up either not getting an offer or getting full time offers which aren't worth taking, and so decide to go part-time.

Or something like that. [emoji6]

On 23/06/2018 at 21:56, printer said:

Yeah, we certainly are at the moment. I'm hoping that's because Goody is waiting to see which full time players who are looking for a full time contract end up either not getting an offer or getting full time offers which aren't worth taking, and so decide to go part-time.

Or something like that. emoji6.png

Gaffer told me to bring my boots instead of the camera on Saturday. So there's at least one marquee signing on the way :lol:

2 hours ago, Waspy said:

Are you creating a video for the unveiling of the new strip? Bigmartyn has offered his services.

We'll literally get the strips just before our first betfred cup game if last year was anything to go by. That leaves very little time to do a video.

Some body paint on the other hand...;)

5 hours ago, waspie13 said:

Boys all working very hard at training last night also i must say it was fantastic seeing Mickey Doyle back in Alloa colours even if it was just at training # we all dream of a team of mickey doyle's 

Did you just say Doyley?..... sweet dreams 

2 hours ago, T-zero said:

Craig mcdowall any good?

I think like many at his level he can have lapses. When Parry was away the start of last season and injured in the season before Craig didn't make any mistakes from my memory and was very unlucky to drop to the bench when Parry returned.