The Alloa Athletic Thread

38 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

If that is the case then we start the next season with a makeshift weaker team than this season , although the new signings are still to be judged 

we will see these positions filled surely  ?

I think going forward we will be sound, with flannigan, Cawley and trouten, big Andy Graham was saying he can create a lot of chances and score, and in Spence we have at least 15 goals a season, seen we have a deal to have a lad from Motherwell on loan who was at airdrie last season, quick skilful and willing to take players on, which will be good as flanny is good for 60/70mins and then he’s blowing out his arse, so hopefully that’ll add good quality from the bench for later stages in matches.

at the back if we don’t get a good CB in I can also see him put Robertson at RB and tags play CB along side Andy which worked when we had injuries in CB last season and I think tags done brilliant, again the narrower pitch should take lack of pace in LB/RB into our favour by staying compact in the middle if Robbo is to be put at RB.

We defo won’t end up like dumbarton playing a park the bus game. 

49 minutes ago, Sheepy said:

and in Spence we have at least 15 goals a season,

Really? Spence has never been a particularly significant scorer at a full time level. I think his best league total in second level is 9 or 10 where half of them were against part time sides. He wont be facing any of those in the Championship.

He is a decent enough scorer and if you have a good season he might get double figures in League goals but "at least 15 goals" seems a bit of a reach to guarantee.

1 hour ago, Sheepy said:

in Spence we have at least 15 goals a season

What an absolute minter for the rest of the league if Greig fucking Spence gets anywhere near 15 goals in the Championship.

Unless you use the "Gavin Reilly Goals Calculator" where you include strikes against non league clubs, pub teams and youth sides.

3 hours ago, whereismillar said:

If that is the case then we start the next season with a makeshift weaker team than this season , although the new signings are still to be judged 

we will see these positions filled surely  ?

I know season starts earlier these days. But its barely the middle of June. Be calm.

I suspect he might bide his time and look for some quality in the loan market

Gents, any feedback on your hospitality offerings? I have provisionally booked a table of 10 for our first league meeting in Sept, just waiting on confirmation.

Prices/details on your website are for last season.

Thanks in advance

50 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

So grieg spence has no right to improve ? He is a better player than when we first released him back then 

He can improve yes. The fact he got 11 league goals a level down last year against 8 part time teams and Ayr isn't a strong indication that he has though.

Two players managed 15 league goals in this division last year, Stephen Dobbie and Scott McDonald. Three managed it the year before, Dobbie, Jason Cummings and Nicky Clark. It's not easy to get 15 goals at this level. Greig Spence does not guarantee "at least 15 goals". He's a decent scorer though and may well do well.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He can improve yes. The fact he got 11 league goals a level down last year against 8 part time teams and Ayr isn't a strong indication that he has though.

Two players managed 15 league goals in this division last year, Stephen Dobbie and Scott McDonald. Three managed it the year before, Dobbie, Jason Cummings and Nicky Clark. It's not easy to get 15 goals at this level. Greig Spence does not guarantee "at least 15 goals". He's a decent scorer though and may well do well.

ask the raith fans , they say he was never used to his potential ,like a lot of thier players ,were due to smiths tactics, and improvement does not necessarily mean you score more 

but you are more likely right , our goals will like last season will more likely be spread around the team..

Edited by whereismillar

4 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

Gents, any feedback on your hospitality offerings? I have provisionally booked a table of 10 for our first league meeting in Sept, just waiting on confirmation.

Prices/details on your website are for last season.

Thanks in advance

Haven't heard of the price changing but I've had a couple of meals when they've made extra and from the staff dinner and the food is brilliant.

His scoring record was  a goal every 175 minutes in the league in a Raith team that couldn't crack eggs never mind a solid defence (at least in the second part of the season) not too bad when you are second fiddle to Buchanan and Vaughan and then Furtado for most of the season.

And I'd imagine Greig will be the guy we'll give it to, to score goals instead of what he had to do at Raith which was a lot of supporting running.

And I'd like to point out that he said 15 goals a season. Not 15 league goals a season. Which is pretty reasonable.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

And I'd like to point out that he said 15 goals a season. Not 15 league goals a season. Which is pretty reasonable.

True but I doubt any of us are too worried about how many diddy cup goals he scores for you. 

For clarity I'm not knocking Greig Spence. As I have said twice, he is a decent striker who did well for you before and is probably as good a realistic goal threat as you could have signed. But he doesnt guarantee 15 goals for a season, league or otherwise. Its that assertion I picked up on not Spence himself.

True but I doubt any of us are too worried about how many diddy cup goals he scores for you. 

For clarity I'm not knocking Greig Spence. As I have said twice, he is a decent striker who did well for you before and is probably as good a realistic goal threat as you could have signed. But he doesnt guarantee 15 goals for a season, league or otherwise. Its that assertion I picked up on not Spence himself.

you realise he is going to score against you now ! ? ! :whistle

On 15/06/2018 at 14:21, LeodhasXD said:

His scoring record was  a goal every 175 minutes in the league in a Raith team that couldn't crack eggs never mind a solid defence (at least in the second part of the season) not too bad when you are second fiddle to Buchanan and Vaughan and then Furtado for most of the season.

And I'd imagine Greig will be the guy we'll give it to, to score goals instead of what he had to do at Raith which was a lot of supporting running.

15 goals a season league and cups, but like it’s been pointed out, Spence was second choice behind Buchanan and not the main focal point of the attack. Alloa have the players behind to create chances as well as score but I feel when he knows he’s the main man up top, he can perform to his potential and there can’t be any doubt knowing if you give him chances with the right service ...he will score 

Seen a picture of him the other week on a coaching course so that maybe an indication he is looking at the next steps in his career
Probably on the same coaching course that Andy Graham was on recently. If so hopefully Andy has had a word and told him to join.